What's The Office Supply You Can't Live Without?

Discussion in Office Supplies started by ExpertAdvice • Sep 11, 2014.

1. venusflytrap

venusflytrapMember

Threads:
    Even though I like to visit office supply stores, I don't really need all that many things from there. The five things that I couldn't do without in my office would be a pencil sharpener, black gel pens, a writing block, a rubber, and some clamps.
    I don't know exactly why I like visiting those shops even though I don't buy much. Perhaps it's because of all the colorful little knick knacks that fascinate me. :)

2. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    My top five office supplies I'd say I need for my office to run smoothly are:
    1. My laptop - If I didn't have my laptop there would be no way I could do anything for my business if I didn't at least have my laptop.
    2. Pens/Pencils/Something to write with - If I didn't have something to write with I suppose I'd use my laptop to make those notes instead but sometimes I like to write things down by hand. Especially if it's something I need to take out with me.
    3.Paper - If I didn't have any paper I could at least write a note on my hand for later I suppose, which is why that's less than something to write with on my list but both are important.
    4. Headphones - Music is something I use to switch off from the world around me so I can concentrate and get my work done so for me this has to be on the list. I can't concentrate as well without music.
    5. A comfortable chair - This is important, but honestly if I didn't have a chair I'd be fine on the floor (and indeed this was how I worked for the first year I had my office because I couldn't afford a chair at that stage with all the other costs I had at the time, and it worked fine)

3. Goat of Departure

Goat of DepartureActive Member

Threads:
    A good comfortable chair is essential for me. You can't expect me to work at my full potential without a really comfy chair. I know it's kinda of obvious but most office chairs that I've had the privilege of sitting are either very rigid or too soft. There was one occasion where the chair I was in was so bad I had to buy a new one for myself, good thing the company reimbursed me.

4. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    I usually assist a friend at his office which is a printing and typing office. The most critical office supplies in my experience are a printer, mobile phone, printing papers, desktop and the good old biro. When anyone of these is missing, there is usually a bottleneck which mitigates against output and productivity.

5. maxen57

maxen57Active Member

Threads:
    Paper is the primary need even here at home. We also have stapler and staple wires, paper fasteners, paper clips, lonmg and short folders, scissors, glue and various kinds of tape. These are not merely office supplies but also school supplies that my son is required to bring to their school for various projects. These are also the same things he use on paper crafting here at home.

6. rosemoon

rosemoonActive Member

Threads:
    Aside from computers and other such technology, I really like sticky notes and pens. Post It notes are so cute and useful. They come in a variety of colors so you can leave messages and communicate with your coworkers. Plus if you have comments on a document, but don't want to write on it, you can use sticky notes. Pens are essential for writing and I especially like gel pens, they write so smoothly.

7. Sealpikachu

SealpikachuMember

Threads:
    Post its! I use them for everything. My laptop and desk and always filled with reminders. I even use the digital ones my laptop has as well but still prefer regular ones since I'm less likely to forget about them. Can't minimize them like digital ones.

8. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well speaking for myself, I would say printer paper. Even though I don't use my printer all that often, I need to have it should items come up that I need to print. There are times I need to print a number of documents and having printer paper ready and handy is essential for me. I would say that is the office supply I can not live without.

9. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    Nowadays the computer and the supplies supporting the system would probably top the list:
    a). Paper for photocopying and printing
    b). Ink cartridge
    c). Thumb drive
    d) Zip drive for backup
    Because of the reliance on automation its imoprtant to have these items to keep the process going anlong with the usual pen, papers and filing material.

10. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    Without considering my computer, I must say that I love my new HP ENVY printer. It's wireless, it works really really good. The ink seems to be going a long way! Best printer I have ever had. We are setting up a work room for shipping, etc., and I am cleaning up in there now. I just dumped my old crappy Lexmark in the trash bin. It was nothing but trouble from the get/go.

11. Sydney M.

Sydney M.Member

Threads:
    Of course, I can't go without writing utensils, but I also lose all my "flow" when I don't have notebooks. I live for notebooks and journals, so whenever I have to search around for paper to make a list or jot down some notes, these are my go-tos. I have way more than any one person needs, but I cherish them. I definitely need my Macbook, which has been the best (and fastest) laptop I have owned to date. It has yet to glitch/shut down unexpectedly and it still runs like the first day I opened it up. It's simply a great quality laptop. Lastly, I couldn't go a day without a planner/agenda book. I think being in school for so long has kind of shaped me into someone who loves lists and organization, so I depend on my planner (maybe a little too much).

12. DiscountDreams

DiscountDreamsActive Member

Threads:
    I just need a notebook and a pen most of the time. Everything else can come and go, but as long as I have something to write with and a little book to chronicle connected thoughts, I'm usually doing just fine.

13. dannyluke1

dannyluke1Active Member

Threads:
    I’m a freelance writer so here’s a small breakdown of the things in my office that I consider to be the most important.
    1) Little notebooks. Lots and lots of them. Whether I’m researching online or poring through physical books, I take down important points on my little notebooks.
    2) A flash drive. Whenever I come across an article or photo that I think I will be using or needing later. I immediately save it on one of my dozens of flash drives.

14. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    I have a great little stapler. It's made by Rapid. I got it on Amazon. Not cheap, I paid 25 bucks for it. But it's reliable, never jams and very high quality stapler!

15. Lisa Davis

Lisa DavisActive Member

Threads:
    I'm extremely picky about pens and I always have been. I have a home office and I do a lot of writing, so it irritates me to use a pen that I don't like. I only like blue ink for some reason. It seems easier to read for me and I only like ball point pens. I can't stand roller balls or felt tips. I prefer click pens because I always lose the cap, but capped are fine too as long as they perform well.

16. johndee

johndeeMember

Threads:
    For an office to be fully functional, it will definitely need quite a number of various supplies. But to identify those I can't live without, I would look at it from a point of starting a new office.

That would mean I can't do without 1. A desk to work on. 2. A chair to sit on. 3. Papers to write on. 4. A pen for writing. 5. A telephone to contact people. Well, that's it. These are the five I can hardly live without.

17. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I love office supplies, for some reason I love to collect notebooks and pens. In my opinion and by experience I think an office couldn't properly function without a computer, working pens or pencils, and paper. When I was working at a boutique my boss had her own space like a small office to do her work. She would ask for help sometimes so I got to work in her office. The most we used was the computer and of course to take notes about anything pens and paper were needed. The phone is also essential as one needs to communucate with other employees.

18. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    I think for me it has to be invoice book. That seems to be the office stationary that needs to be kept. That being said, office supplies are kind of different for each one of us. You just have to find out what works for you. I have found that some of the time things may not be that comfortable.

19. NicholasMukuha

NicholasMukuhaActive Member

Threads:
    Well, as for me, setting up an office to ensure smooth flow of work, begins with me knowing the functions of the office that I need. This is because the functions vary, depending on the kind of work to be carried out.

As reception and recording of information is essential , for future reference, assisting in making decisions or even compliance with the law, then I believe work would be easier if one makes a point of having a computer, files, accounting books, and even registers to supplement the telephone, invoices and reports.

In an office, there is need for reproduction of documents, right? However, this depends on the quality needed, the urgency and confidentiality, at least that's what I know as per now. Basically, on my part I will acquire, a carbon paper, a photocopier and a printer.

Distribution of information is also required, for implementation purposes. For example, a statement of accounts for the accounts department. These will need to be put into consideration. Last but not least, I will buy a stamp for verification of documents.

20. Barida

BaridaActive Member

Threads:
    I work in an office that deals on oxygen gas supply as well as the domestic gas for cooking. one of the major office supplies we need here is the oxygen gauge to measure the pressure of those gases we sell to customers. Also, files for recording the day-to-day transactions of the firm as regards the movement of cylinders from the refilling plants to our offices down to the customers is important so as to ensure that we control how these cylinders move.

Since technology evolved, we also need the help of computer systems for payments to refilling plants after a business has taken place. These and more are important in the smooth running of the firm.