What's the real deal on the Pocket Hose?

Discussion in As Seen on TV started by Fauxpat • May 13, 2014.

1. Fauxpat

FauxpatMember

Threads:
    [video=youtube;87sRVk1f7ik]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87sRVk1f7ik[/video]

So, obviously, this is setting off all sorts of "too good to be true alarms" in my head. It just has to be made out of a flimsy material that disintegrates after a single use. Has anybody actually tried it? What do you think? Is it durable? Is it as easy to put away as it is to set up? I really should know better, but I'm actually curious to know if it works at least half as well as it does on TV.

2. Ruth B.

Ruth B.Active Member

Threads:
    My pocket hose, I thought was the greatest thing until it broke in the middle. It just POPPED in the middle with a loud pop. I did not take it back, tho it is guaranteed.

3. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    My grandmother says that its not the best made. Its very lightweight but it will retract like the commercial says. Supposedly, there is an improved version on the market designed for heavy use.

4. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    It worked great the first week or so that we had it, but as others have noted, it breaks rather quickly. It's a great design, and it has a lot of potential but they need to come out with a sturdier model. I think Wal-Mart now carries a newer model, but I am not sure if it's by the same company or another company, that is supposed to be stronger.

5. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The first pocket hose that I got, which was about a year ago, is the light green one. It works perfectly, is very easy for me to drag around, and i absolutely LOVE it ! ! I liked it so well that i decided to get another one for the back yard. I orderd it from Amazon, and it arrived the other day. I just hooked it up today, and it does not work at all ! I am so disgusted with this hose. It does not stretch out like it should, leaks at the fittings, and the water seems to be trapped in it, and just dribbles out of the end.
    I am going to report it to Amazon, and hopefully they will exchange it for me.
    I don't know if the blue ones are just a very cheap quality hose, or if I just got a bad one. So, I think that these hoses can be great if you get a good one, and horrible and worthless if you get a bad one.

6. JudyCap

JudyCapNew Member

Threads:
    Pocket Hose

Hi I bought one of these pocket hoses at Walmart last year. I paid 19.95 for a 25 ft. one. It is pretty much what it says, it is easy to use, and does shrink back up once the water is shut off. If anyone gets one, read the warnings on the package~ one being do not leave water pressure on the hose by turning off the valve at the end. It WILL spring leaks like the warning said. I was lazy one day and did exactly what it said not to do. Yep it has about 3 leaks in it now. A friend of mine did the same thing and had the same result. They also say not to hang it out where the sun can beat down on it. It is best to take it and store it in a shed or somewhere out of the weather.

I will buy another one of them when I find them and have the money to spend on it. I am kinda leary about ordering one on line, as they usually soak you with a big shipping and handling fee. I would like to get a longer one than the 25 footer, as I have to hook it up to a regular garden hose to be able to reach the front of my place.

7. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a little bit of 'insider' knowledge that's not actually insider at all. The green As Seen on TV pocket hose is perhaps the most returned item at most Walmarts, especially in the As Seen on TV category. I used to work in returns and would have about 10 to 20 of those things returned every week at the very least. However, there's a blue version of this hose that's manufactured by another company and sold out in the garden section of Walmarts that is far more reliable. It's the same concept, but I've had maybe two of those come back in the nine months I worked at Walmart compared to hundreds of the green ASOT pocket hose.

It's a little more expensive, but it won't break in a week.

8. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Troutski, thanks for the heads up on the pocket hose. I need to get a hose for the yard and was thinking to get on of the pocket hose because I am not interested in dragging a heavy hose around the yard. When I go to Walmart I will get the blue hose thanks to you, an informed consumer is a smart consumer.

9. AugustGreig

AugustGreigMember

Threads:
    I have one very similar to this, but I believe it is a different brand. Mine is blue. I have had it for over a year now and it works great. It does everything that the ads claimed it would do. It is much more convenient than my regular hose. However, I don't use it very often, so that may be the reason I haven't had any issues with it. You might want to try reading some reviews of it. And check into it, there are at least three different brands of this hose. Some may be better than others.

10. JudyCap

JudyCapNew Member

Threads:
    That is great to know about the Blue Hose being more reliable than the Green one. I bought a green one last year, used it a few times, then did exactly what they said not to do. I left the hose turned on at the spicket, but turned it off on the end of the hose. It did spring a few leaks. I finally threw it away. I was going to get another one but when I went to Walmart to look for one, there weren't any to be found. Probably just as well, Now I will keep my eyes open for the blue one.

11. Shoplady

ShopladyMember

Threads:
    Troutsk what is the name of this blue hose? I love the idea of this, I have very limited room in the front yard and a pocket hose is the perfect idea for me to take care of my lawn without a lot of extra hauling!

Any other good products for small yards you guys recommend?

12. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Everyone I know that owns one of these says that they pop and spring a leak. But they all had the green kind. You might have better luck with the blue one that troutski mentioned.

13. quitetenacious

quitetenaciousNew Member

Threads:
    I purchases two of these hoses. At first I was very excited because they were so lightweight and easy to use. After about two weeks though my first hose popped while I was watering my flowers. It started to swell up like a balloon at the end and then it exploded with a loud pop. The second one popped a few days later. They are made out of flimsy material and do not last any time at all.

14. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I actually had much better luck with my green hose than the blue one, which looked great; but didn't work at all, right from the start. it would kind of fill up the hose when the nozzle was closed, but as soon as I actually started letting water come through the hose; then it would just shrivel up and barely drizzle water out.
    Since I had gotten it from Amazon, they refunded my money immediately; which Amazon is great to do if anything is wrong with a product.
    Now, the green hose has worked forover a year, and aken a lot of abuse, as well. Finally, it just gave up the ghost and exploded water all over everywhere.
    My husband cut off the bad part and put the end back on , so now it works fine again; but I don't think I would spend money buying a new one ever again.