What's with the fragrant kitchen trash bags?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by MrsJones • Jan 4, 2015.

1. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I don't buy them. If my trash smells it's out, that's it and that's all. A fragrant trash bag is just money going out with the trash, unless you want to keep it around for the smell. What good can you say about a fragrant trash bag to someone? 'Oh I spent $7.00 on twelve lavender fragrant trash bags, what a deal.'

2. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    You are right. Trash and fragrance don't go together. If the trash smells, cover it up. If it's in a trash bag, tie up the bag, seal it. Whatever. Just keep the smell locked inside. No reason to waste money buying fragrant trash bags.

3. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I have never used it before. Also I would prefer never to try it also. I think it is best to clean your garbage at regular intervals during the day and once at night rather than spending money on such things.

4. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are people in the world that are too lazy to take out the kitchen trash when it stinks. Those lazy consumers are the target market for the scented trash bags and the automatic vacuum cleaners , and the remote control wastebasket that comes to you.

5. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I think it's a pretty telltale sign that you have to take the garbage out when it starts to smell bad. Covering it up with a scented bag is not only lazy, it can be very hazardous to health, attracting pests and germs. I would never buy or use such a thing.

6. dizzykitsune

dizzykitsuneActive Member

Threads:
    As everyone else is saying, smell is a pretty apparent sign that the trash needs to be taken out. The last thing you would want is mold to be festering inside the bag and growing. Even if it's only halfway fool, take it outside! Expired food is NOT something to be ignored. These days people are simply lazy and ignorant.

7. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've used them a couple of times, but to be honest they don't smell that nice. My friend had them for her cat litter and she said it made a difference. Personally I wouldn't spend any extra money on them, but some people are squeamish about the smell so that's the manufacturers target audience.

8. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I don't like fragrance in anything that I buy. Scented trash bags are just plain ridiculous. How much time do you spend standing next to the garbage can? Certain things shouldn't go in the kitchen can no matter what - and I'm sure we all know what they are without me listing them. Those things can be frozen (like shrimp shells) or double bagged in plastic and disposed of outdoors. All the perfume in the world doesn't stop stinky stuff from stinking!

9. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    I bought them on accident once and really did not like them at all. The fragrance wasn't pleasing. I think the ones I had were vanilla scented. I love a good vanilla candle, but a vanilla scented garbage bag just was not pleasing to the senses!

10. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can't stand that artificial smell around my kitchen. My partner once accidentally bought some deodorized rubbish bags, and they were literally "on my nose" all the time. In combination with rubbish their odor is horrendous to me. It smells sickly and absolutely disgusting. These days I recycle most of my rubbish, and the little amount that I can't recycle, I usually get rid off in recycled plastic bags that break down quickly.

11. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have tried them before, too. They didn't smell bad when I put them into the trash basket; but by the time we added some trash into the trash can, it smelled the same as always. I think they might be fine for a small wastebasket, like in the bathroom or office, that you are mostly just going to put in paper products; but even so, I would not pay an extra price just to have them.
    I usually don't even see any of those in the store, so they are probably just not worth the extra price and the stores don't all carry them.

12. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Our household has also tried these fragranced bin liners. I find that they don't really do too much?? Yes, they smell nice when you first put them in your bin, but has anyone ever smelled the scent of mildly rotten food?? Those fragranced bin bags are much much too subtle in their scent to make any kind of difference to the overall smell, once food or empty food containers have been placed into the bin. We may as well have stuck to the normal bin bags, to be honest.

13. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have often wondered what the point of these garbage bags was. For starters, they don't smell much better than the garbage itself. Secondly, don't people take the garbage outside on a regular basis? If it reeks then that is the time to take it out, not mask the smell of rotting food! What a waste of money!

14. GoldenWing

GoldenWingMember

Threads:
    Never heard of such a product before.

I do know a few people who undoubtedly would like to buy these, but only because they're too lazy to take out the trash when it's needed. This seems aimed towards sloths and people who can't be bothered to do such a simple task.

15. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think a trash can that smells need to be taken out not covered up to smell better. These bags cost more than the unscented bags, I can find better ways to spend my money. I even use the bags from the grocery store to take out the trash to save money and the environment.

16. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    To me, it's not even the price of the scented bags, I just don't like the smell of them. Way to perfumy for me. I was at the 99 Cent store awhile ago and they gave me a scented bag to take my stuff home because that's all they had. And boy did it stink. Luckily the smell didn't leach through, because I had some food items in there.

17. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I think that the fragrance trash is actually of no use. I would prefer to usually use the normal trash and than anything else. I think it is just a waste of money. I believe they are another way of making money.