What's Your Bucket List?

Discussion in Travel started by hellavu • Jan 18, 2015.

1. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    I've just seen the movie (The Bucket List, with Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman), but I had "bucket lists" since I can remember. Things to do, places to see, grand moments to experience...

Seeing the Northern Lights; taking a bath in Japan's natural hot springs; climbing the Kilimanjaro; running a ten kilometer marathon somewhere in the world; eat a croissant in Vienna. Items that are big or small -- of course, I don't have this much money as the character Jack Nicholson plays, but I also have no terminal illness, so I have a lifetime in front of me and I do believe some special experiences would be worth investing money into.

What are yours?

2. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    1. Go to the place in Finland where the Sun never sets
    2. See the Northern Lights (great minds thing alike, honest I'm not copying)
    3. An Alaska Cruise
    4. Go back to Disney World with my honey one of these anniversaries (this was where we honeymooned)
    5. Learn French (I think you just meant travel though)
    6. Go visit Tsingy national park in Madagascar
    7. Find a cheese that is too stinky even for me to eat (so far, I have tried many and still no winner)
    8. Listen to the Detroit Symphony Orchestra live
    9. Attend an opera
    10. Attend a ballet

3. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    Alaska cruise sounds absolutely lovely. I'm a bit surprised about the national park in Madagascar -- doesn't sound too "mainstream". What prompted this?

French is awesome. Hahha on my list would probably be something like "Teach French abroad" :p

4. Maxwell

MaxwellActive Member

Threads:
    Finland is well known all around the world because of its rich natural beauty. It is an ideal destination for nature lovers. Almost 200,000 lakes are located in this country that attracts about millions of visitors every year around the world.

5. H.C. Heartland

Threads:
    We do volunteer work there/here. But Madagascar is the 4th largest island in the world and this is a very remote destination that not many get to. For example, a friend who has in Madagascar since 2001 was looking into flying because the trip by road would have taken days. She found the tickets from her port town were cheaper flying out of the country than they were flying within the country! So they opted to travel to the island of Reunion instead. We almost had a trip planned to go last year but the rains came early and the roads washed out. The driver with the 4x4 called and cancelled the trip, 'I'll be back again next season' he said. But now we are in a location that is even farther than before. And we need to save our money for trips to our home country so we try to spend as little as possible on inner country travel even though we love it and want to do it. So this is why its on my bucket list. It would stink if it never happened, but it would be a real possibility because of the distance. French is also the 2nd language of the country. I have now made my bucket list sound unexciting! lol

6. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:

That's pretty cool. As my family is from Reunion island and mostly still lives there, I was travelling over there every two years or so, but I never was in Mauritius or Madagascar for more than a transit; that's why I was curious about it, mainly. It does not sound less exciting, by the way! It is interesting to hear about how hard it can be to move around the island. And I guess it makes sense, since Reunion island is so very tiny, but some place you can just reach by helicopter (or walk there a few days, I reckon).

What kind of volunteer work do you do?

7. Sunshine

SunshineActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know if this is exactly a bucket list, but here's my wishes:

1. visit Peru and check out the vitrified rock that so intrigues me
    2. visit my ancestors homeland
    3. visit China and figure out how so many afford Louis Vuitton over there :p
    4. own a condo overlooking the ocean
    5. get a boat (a small one, nothing too fancy)
    6. open my own business - a successful one
    7. make serious money in the stock market, longterm
    8. have the kitchen of my dreams
    9. operate a successful charity
    10. get access access to a kilm

8. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:

Welllllll, I'm pretty sure a lot of those Louis Vuitton are fake! XD

And what is a kilm, by the way?

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't really consider it part of my bucket list since I would be okay with it even if I never got to go but I really would like to be able to travel to Japan, Australia, and also revisit the US at some point. I'd love to go cross country in the states and seeing all the sights as well as taste all the regional food. In Japan I'd like to also taste authentic Japanese cuisine and just experience the culture in general.

10. H.C. Heartland

Threads:
    That's neat! We really want to visit Reunion, but I want to improve my French first. So many friends have told us it is incredible. I've never thought about looking into helicopter! Thanks, I'm always looking for cheaper ways to travel around here. I think we can take a boat across but we have only been in the port city of Toamasina for about a week now so it will take us time to make the right connections. We do a variety of different types of volunteer work. In the past we had done construction for hurricane relief work, sign language and now we are doing a bible educational work in this town. The official site is

. We have done this type of work for about 15 years now, 10 years being in Africa. And we really like it. If you ever end up on this side of the planet again feel free to stop by. :)

11. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    That's pretty cool. I knew Reunion island had a cyclon season, but because of how used they are to it, it does not take this many lives. I was thinking of going back to Reunion island soon, and am waiting for an answer from family that might have accommodation. Volunteering is something I'd like to look into -- I'm not sure what, Reunion island is beautiful, but poverty makes a lot of trouble (stealing and break ins mostly, and stray animals around). Sign language is pretty cool. What sort do you use? US kind? Or something region specific

I'm not really sure helicopters are cheap, though. XD But worth looking into if it makes certain places accessible.

12. H.C. Heartland

Threads:
    We have used Ghana, South African, American and now Malagasy sign language. We had to learn the new ones but I suppose we were most versed in ASL even though we began in Ghana and then moved to S.A. Ghana was based off of ASL though even though there are some differences. Malagasy sign first developed from Norwegian and ASL but bares little resemblance, the same goes for S.A.S.L they have had so many volunteers come, and at one time the races were segregated, so they had to nationalize the sign language because of all the differences. That has made one national sign that is unique to South Africa. I hope you get to make it back to Reunion, who knows if your accommodation falls through, maybe you can look into volunteering through an organization that can provide accommodation. I think Peace Corps does that. I know they are in Madagascar, but I'm not sure about Reunion.

13. owesem75

owesem75Active Member

Threads:
    Oh, a bucket list!

It is free to dream.. and sometimes, it is ok to dream big. My own bucket list (in my dreams) as follows:
    1. Travel the world (France, Tunisia, Turkey, Egypt, Jordan, India, Australia, New Zealand)
    2. Dive in the Great Barrier Reef
    3. Own an Island for a week
    4. Skydive and paragliding with a scenic view
    5. See Mount Everest (I have no intention to climb it)
    6. Personally meet facebook's MARK and Windows' BILL
    7. Watch a broadway show

14. Sunshine

SunshineActive Member

Threads:
    Kiln! I meant kiln! Typing too fast again :p

15. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    Oh! That's awesome! If you're gonna be in France, you could try to paraglide from the Mont Blanc in Chamonix, two birds one stone kind of thing! :)

And do you have any preference as to what Broadway show? I was never one to want to go to NY, but darn, do I wish I could go and check out Broadway for at least a week or something! XD

16. Kylrey

KylreyActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah you are right owesem75...! Its free to dream and dreams provide us an inspirations for making them true. I also had dream to have diving experiences at Hanauma Bay. As i heard lot of about it and my cousin also told me that is one of best ideal one spots for diving lovers. I just want to have experience walking on the frozen niagara falls once. I want to have world tour along with my entire family and my best friends janney as well. I don't think so i wish big enough i am sure my dreams will definitely comes true ones in my life.

17. guineapigsandgardens

guineapigsandgardensMember

Threads:
    I'm not sure I have a "bucket list," but I definitely have a list of places that I want to see before I die. Here are my places:

1. Seattle, WA
    2. Bangor, Maine
    3. Playa del Sol/San Diego, California
    4. Key West, Florida
    5. Anchorage, Alaska
    6. Honolulu, Hawaii
    7. Dublin, Ireland
    8. Berlin, Germany

18. Kylrey

KylreyActive Member

Threads:
    guineapigsandgardens...!! I love that spirit. I must say all these attractions are most prominent one among nature lovers as Hawaii....It shows you interest about natural spots. Am i right???

19. eagletal88

eagletal88Active Member

Threads:
    guineapigsandgardens, why Bangor, Maine???

I am from Maine, and Bangor is nothing special. I would recommend Acadia National Park.

For my Bucket List...

I really love the Philippines, and I have been fortunate to see a few of the scenic areas. But there is so much more to see!

- Boracay
    - Davao
    - Dauin
    - Bacong
    - General Santos

I also want to travel more in the western states in the US. I have seen most of the eastern states, but haven't had a chance to head out west very often.

20. goldenmaine

goldenmaineActive Member

Threads:
    I have lots of bucket lists, and I think everyone also has many. For extreme ones, I would really love to try bungee jumping, sky diving, parachute, cliff diving and paragliding. These are activities that are one of a kind and would be really unforgettable once we did them. In terms of travelling, I would love to see the different popular places on in the world. I’d like to see the pyramids of Egypt, Great Wall of China, Niagara Falls, Cherry blossoms of Japan, and all the other famous places of each country. Lastly, I would really love to go outer space and just see the whole universe in a different perspective, having to experience leaving the Earth and see it from an outside view.