What's your favorite antivirus program and why?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by Esperahol • Oct 9, 2012.

1. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    The title says it all - what is your favorite antivirus and why are you in love with it? Is it the power, the ease, or the price that has stars in your eyes? Generally I stick with Avg and Avira as my favorites because they're free, powerful, and generally comprehensive.

2. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I was introduced to Avast by a friend who is a real computer wizard, and I have to say I'm really pleased with it. I had McAfee before that, and I managed to pick up a nasty virus that prevented me from getting onto the Internet. It took my friend several hours to sort my computer out, and as I work online, I was not impressed at losing almost a full day's work. I'm delighted with Avast, and I'd recommend it to anyone.

3. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have used a number of antivirus programs. McAfree and Norton are rubbish, I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. I'm currently using Microsoft Security Essentials and SUPERAntiSpyware. It seems to be an effective antivirus because I haven't had any problems and it doesn't take up too many resources.

4. A.P.W.

A.P.W.Member

Threads:
    It has to be Norton 360, it covers a whole range of services, and you can add up to 4 machines on the one licence. I find that it is quick, easy and user friendly. It is not free, but having said that it does give you comprehensive cover and a backup facility to use. I would always go for Norton Security.

5. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    I am suing Avira right now and for the last two years! I am using the free version but I think that it is really strong and accurate on detecting viruses. I like it best because it does not irritate me with false alarms. It is a light software too so you won't even notice it running on background.

6. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    I have been using Avast for as long as I can remember. I also additionally run a free system check using malwarebytes and/or Microsoft Security Essentials. Used to use all three at one time, then did away with the latter two, and stuck with Avast. Have had no issues whatsoever, and would recommend it over McAfee and Norton, any day.

7. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    For years I use Eset Nod 32 Antivirus in any version. Currently I have the version 5.0 and it works perfectly. Is an antivirus that doesn't consume many resources and whose automatic update doesn't disrupt the normal functioning of the PC. Since I use it I hadn't such problems and always behaved as a reliable software. I always recommend it. Anyway, each PC has its own peculiarities and each user must choose the antivirus that you feel more confident. My experience so far allowed me to choose this antivirus. I see that we all use different programs, that's interesting.

8. KNH

KNHActive Member

Threads:
    Avast is free and I have never gotten a virus or anything like it sooo...:)

9. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    I had Norton 360 for a while and I will agree that not only was it handy, I could share the wealth with my family's computer(s) as well. I also really appreciated the backup feature although I really should have used it more extensively. That said as part of my plan not to end up destitute I have had to cut back on non-essentail services and this was something I didn't need. I use Avira now.

10. jooomes

jooomesNew Member

Threads:
    There isn't one best anti-virus. If I had to choose one I'd go with Avast! layered with Malware Bytes. They are both free and are able to stop any virus on your laptop. Malware Bytes also has a PRO version that has a few more features, but with the free version and customer support there isn't a need for it. Layering your security is always the best thing to do.

11. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use Avast. I'm really happy with it. It does give some false positives, but I've read that most programs do. I install it on my family and friends computers and never had any complaints. They love it too. I used to use AVG, but it really slowed down my computer.

12. Jatelo2

Jatelo2Active Member

Threads:
    Sadly enough I have just uninstalled all the Antivirus Software I had on my computers! The reason being they all started to behave irregularly when I'm online. It stated with Kaspersky 2013 terminating my network connection terming it insecure, Followed by ESET Smart Security 5 blocking Google Mail as a dangerous site! After trying by all means to change the settings of the software, and failing miserably I decided to call it a quit!

13. soulglazed

soulglazedMember

Threads:
    I've always used this triple threat combo and haven't had any problems whatsoever: avast antivirus, malwarebytes & ccleaner. They're all different from each other but go hand in hand perfectly. They're all free so if you don't use any of them, I recommend you check them out.

14. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    My favorite piece of anti-virus software is going to be emsisoft anti-malware. You get a free 30 day trial and if you invite your friends to use it they extend your free trial to another 30 days, the more friends join the longer you can use it for free. :)

15. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    Kaspersky has been noted as giving many, many false positives even against it's self. I would not recommend it by any means. As for the other I have not heard of it previously and thus have nothing to offer.

16. rollybooz

rollyboozActive Member

Threads:
    If you are a PC user, I would strongly recommend Microsoft Security Essentials. I just feel that this is one anti-virus software that is overlooked by many who choose to pay high prices for other programmes that might not be as effective and also end up slowing down your computer. This is by far the only anti-virus software that has no irritating advertisements and reminders popping out at every start-up to remind you to update or pay for a better version of the software. It also taps little into the processing power of the computer while it works in the background or runs full system scans, allowing you to work while it scans unlike many other softwares I've tried before. I previously used Norton as well as AVG and both slows down my computer a lot especially at start-up. Microsoft Security Essentials has been working like a charm so far and I've never had any intrusions up to date!

17. almari_011

almari_011Member

Threads:
    I'll go with Avast since it's free and very user-friendly. Plus it also secures your internet too. It has never failed me before with removing viruses and such. I've been virus free for a year with Avast. :)

18. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have been using AVG since 2006, and I'm quite satisfied with it, but I think its database is not updated enough, because Symantec, which is also installed in my pc detected 2 viruses that were not detected by AVG. And both have pros and cons though, since Symantec's "Auto Protect" feature won't work properly when I installed Windowns Vista. So with that said, I think I'd go for AVG as my favorite anti virus despite the flaws.

19. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    Avast does the job (in my PC and for in cellphone). I also like AVG, which is the one I used prior to Avast, and it worked pretty well. Kapersky is, by far, the best one, though. It can "sniff" things neither Avast nor AVG can!

20. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    I have a couple that I like that are all good and best of all free. Avg is one of them I used that one for about three years and avast is another I used it for about a year, then when I got my new computer with windows 7 I got Microsoft Security Essentials which is also free. It works really well too. So I guess you could say I have three favorites that work great and I would recommend them all and the best part about them all is they are all free!