What's your favorite charity?

Discussion in Charitable Causes started by Jessi • Apr 12, 2012.

1. mimi8zm

mimi8zmMember

Threads:
    I donate to mostly the activities run by our Church geared towards helping the communities that need the most help. We have feeding programs, children education, adult's (new parent's) education, etc.

I also donate to the Hearing Impaired Kids Endowment (HIKE) Fund. They raise money to help kids who have hearing impairments. One time, they gave an aspiring football player a specialized helmet so he can hear the coach directly from his helmet. Hearing aids are often given to kids who have this impairment too.

I also support the Shriner's hospitals. One time, we had a halloween party for the Kids in the Shriner's Hospital in Utah. They even had a patient from as far as Croatia.

2. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    My favorite would have to be the local pet shelter. They have a "no-kill" policy and rely only on donations and volunteers to operate. I try to donate what I can and when I can. When I do retire, I want to volunteer there as well. The volunteers do lots of different things there but they all take turns walking the dogs everyday. I think that would be fun to do.

3. Livvi

LivviActive Member

Threads:
    My favorite charities are the children's charity the NSPCC and Women's Aid, who help rehouse women and children affected by domestic violence. I also donate regularly to various cancer charities. I wish I had more money because there are so many deserving causes but I can't afford to donate to all of them.

4. Isabellas2007

Isabellas2007Active Member

Threads:
    My favorite Charities to donate to is Midwest Mastiffs Rescue, Big Dogs Huge Paws Rescue, and to St. Jude's children's Hospital. :)

5. Pocs

PocsActive Member

Threads:
    First I am a believer in charity begins at home. What I mean by home is the country you reside in. Living in America I think we have many issues of our own before we start with other nations. I only give to charities that benefit the needed of my country. That being said, first my favorite charity is Make A Wish. What a wonderful charity, honoring the wishes of terminal ill children. I also donate items to the local animal shelter. And any cancer walk you'll find me there in support.

6. sdjaxson

sdjaxsonActive Member

Threads:
    This is a great question. I would say ifcj.org is one of my favorites. I have so many favorites to support.

7. soulglazed

soulglazedMember

Threads:
    Exactly what Pocs said, couldn't agree more! Helping out the animal shelter is something that in my opinion, is a little overlooked.

8. Syd Arthur

Syd ArthurNew Member

Threads:
    I think my favourite charity is wateraid. When I think of all the peoples lives they have affected around the world it amazes me. Water is so important and taken for granted in the developed world.

I also used to work for a local homeless charity supporting people with learning dissabilities and mental health problems. It was very challenging but highly rewarding.

9. sergiu23

sergiu23Active Member

Threads:
    My favorite charity is me. I am in no position to give money to others and will most likely never be.
    How can you give money to church? You people are manipulated. Faith is one good thing, but when "God's employees" come to ask me for money, I spit in their face. Example: the priest from my parents village: came in with nothing 10 years ago. Now he has 2 SUVs worth over 50,000$, one big house with two stores and another one building in progress + some land he got for free. And his wage cannot be more than 7-800 $. So, why does he come to ask money from me again?
    PS: Most of the other charities are the same, quit lying yourself. I know someone who works at a very big international non-profit organisation. When he joined it a few years ago he had a 1,000$ worth car, now he has a BMW X6 M. When I asked him, he said "why not? If i can get money from suckers, why not?".
    If you really want to make something good, get some money, buy some ingredients, make some food and go around the corner. I bet you will find at least one homeless person who needs fresh food and some money. Repeat this action daily and I guarantee you will feel much better than giving money away to some organisation.

10. Ryder13

Ryder13Active Member

Threads:
    My favorites to support would be the food bank and a homeless shelter in my city.
    If I can I will help. Also a toy drive, if I am able to financially. It is not that easy and people can get off the track very easily and through no fault.
    Good topic BTW and some good posts in reply.
    Ryder13

11. shane002

shane002Banned

Threads:
    It's a simple idea. Find a way for your family, your community, your company or your organization to join in acts of giving.

12. shane002

shane002Banned

Threads:
    Global Game Changers hope to teach kids that giving back is fun.

13. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know if it is a charity but I am planning on doing some charity runs next year for a local hospice because they took fantastic care of my nan and grandad when they went there to die. :)

14. Treighsie

TreighsieActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really have a favorite. But I only donate when I think it will really get to the person intended. I donate a lot to the food bank/ thrift store.

15. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think charity is a waste of time and not a long term solution to the problems we face as a community. I have no problem with people donating to charity but it's not for me. I would rather support the cause to end the reason so many are suffering.

16. kevin228

kevin228New Member

Threads:
    My favorite charities are the ones that help teenagers with suicide and depression. I support them because I have been through that same exact thing in my life. And, I know that all they need is someone they could talk to and with these charities it gives them someone to talk to and maybe even somewhere to go to prevent them from hurting themselves.

17. TheMightyEddy

TheMightyEddyMember

Threads:
    Love the charity threads. The one charity group I like the most is Red Cross. Well i'm not sure if it's considered as 'charity' but i do love them. I try to donate as much as i can each time i see the word red cross on the internet or anywhere.

18. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We donate to the Goodwill and purchase from there also to support the good work they do. We also help the food bank in the area. I would like to help the families that lost everything from hurricane Sandy, it is amazing that so many people lost their homes and still need help.

19. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't really have a favorite and i usually donate when it's at a gas station or a place i'm shopping at.

20. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like the charity Love 146 because they rescue children from a dangerous situation.
    A lot of young children are sold into prostitution and sexual slavery so that foreigners can go to brothels and have sex with 8 year olds.
    Sometimes the parents in these countries are so poor that they sell their children because they can't afford to feed them.

Love 146 are abolitionists and they break into the brothels and rescue the little girls and bring them to Round Home, where they receive therapy, an education and a chance to be little girls again and watch Spongebob and do normal things that children do.

No child should have to grow up as a prostitute.