What's Your Favorite Deli Sandwich?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by hayrake • Apr 17, 2015.

1. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I fixed reubens for lunch today on homemade sourdough bread. Which was delicious, but I couldn't help wishing I'd had a loaf of rye bread instead. I don't use enough rye flour to warrant buying it though, so when I make reubens I just use whatever kind of bread I have made.
    So, reubens are my favorite deli (or deli type) sandwiches. Always have been and maybe always will be, though philly cheesesteak is a pick as well.

2. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I like a simple roast beef. It has to be a super high quality roast beef though. I'm not a fan of Quizno/Subway roast beef. I think I've always had an affinity toward the cut for two reasons: 1) You can make it into the sandwich you want depending on ingredients. 2) It reminds me of 'The Grinch Who Stole Christmas'. Honest to God. I always think of them eating the roast beast when I have myself a sammy.

3. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not much into eating bread. In fact I haven't eaten any for a long time. But I do like wholemeal wraps filled with salad and falafel. I usually buy the wraps in my local health food store. Ordinary bread is far too heavy for me to digest. I get bloated and gas from it.

4. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    Is a submarine sandwich considered a deli sandwich? Because it is my all time favorite. When I was growing up, whenever we went shopping, we would always stop and buy them and it would be such a treat. So, I have continued to love them until today.
    I admire the fact that you make your own bread. I just can not get the hang of it no matter how hard I try. I prefer sour dough bread and I wish there was something you could tell me to help me be successful at making it.

5. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I'm not really sure what you mean by "deli" sandwich, but I like eating ham sandwich with lots of tomato slices, shredded onions and cheese in it. I also like Caesar chicken salad sandwich.

6. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I can't tell you how many times I've sat on a bench somewhere and shared a submarine sandwich with my mom while taking a break from shopping. What a fond memory you have brought out for me.:)

Many times I just throw my ingredients into a bread machine on the dough cycle and let it do all but the shaping and baking for me. Sourdough, however, requires that you do it all by hand as the proofing times are so long. It also favors a cold rise, which makes it take even longer.

All in all, the long rise time works well for me because the actual hands on time is very little and I just start it one day, put everything in the refrigerator and finish up the next--or even longer than that if something comes up and things just work out that way.

The recipe that I use the most is here:

The tip about putting two fingers into the dough to see if it has doubled also works well to see if you've kneaded enough, because you don't want to knead too little and kneading too much is just as bad.

When shaping the dough after it has doubled knead very little. Maybe squeeze it down and fold it over but not more than two or three times before shaping.

When learning, cut the recipe in half so that you are only using enough to make one loaf instead of two and you will save yourself some grief over wasting time and money. Sourdough bread, though, even if it does not turn out perfectly is often still very tasty and will make good toast or croutons.

I know that gluten is a crazy bad topic these days, but gluten in sourdough bread is broken down differently than in other breads and people who have gluten intolerance often (but not always) find that they can eat sourdough bread. The reason I mention it is because sometimes I like to include added v ital wheat gluten in my loaves. Usually Hodgson Mill and sometimes as per directions and sometimes half that. It's not necessary, but does seem to improve the loaf, making it rise a bit better and stay soft and fresh longer.

7. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    It's hard for me to decide on just one. I used to work right next to a Quiznos so I was stopping in there several times a week to get their Spicy Monterey Club sandwich. They changed it around and it's not the same as it used to be, but it used to come with turkey, cheese, veggies, mayo and this spicy red pepper sauce that was incredible. That sauce really made the sandwich.

Another favorite, was a local sub shop called Spinners in Niles Ohio. I haven't been there in ages so I'm not sure if they changed anything, but their bread was home made, and it was very similar to a crusty chewy pizza dough crust, only in the form of a sub bun. It was flat and rectangular, kind of like a focaccia or ciabatta bread. Their subs were fantastic as well, and they weren't stingy with the meats and cheeses like Subway is.