What's Your Favorite Os?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by AgentD22 • Jun 30, 2016.

1. AgentD22

AgentD22New Member

Threads:
    Hello there!

I come to you with another question, this time we'll talk about personal preferences and useful features that might help the undecided choose. What's your favorite OS and why?

I'll start of course, a cuople of months ago I installed Windows 10 on my PC and i've been loving it, really like how they took out the intrusive start menu from windows 8 and made a compromise with the useful new menu. I can read my twitter feed from the start menu and I can sync my outlook calendar from the main screen, I feel like those two things alone help my productivity quite a bit. The only con i've found so far is that some of the software I used on windows 7 is no longer compatible with the new OS.

So how about you folks? :)

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have a favorite OS anymore.

There's a time I liked Windows and even though they are offering free upgrades to Windows 10 for some users, I don't think I'll be upgrading. Instead I'll switch to Linux. And use software like WINE to run Windows applications on the OS.

Why do I like Linux? It's free and not that vulnerable to malware.

3. gats

gatsNew Member

Threads:
    I would hate to pick a favorite but I would have to say Windows due to the fact that it supports the most amount of software and hardware. It is not really the fault of the other operating systems, it is just that more developers develop software for Windows rather than Linux or OSX.

4. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    Currently using Ubuntu MATE Linux distro in my Laptop, unlike desktop PCs, laptops may not be that mighty when it comes to hardware and there are possibilities of proprietary hardware, that's where Ubuntu MATE. Based on Ubuntu, MATE makes it extremely easy to deal with any proprietary hardware.

In addition, MATE offers a great balance between performance and using resources efficiently. The interface of MATE is friendly, no learning curve, and looks extremely polished on laptops.

MATE believes in using fewer resources leaving them for your applications, which also translates into better battery life. Excellent choice for anyone with low profile hardware laptops.

5. ProNine

ProNineMember

Threads:
    I'm a big fan of Linux to be honest. Despite that, I do use Windows occasionally when playing video games and such. However, when it comes to Linux, my favorite distribution is Kali as it allows me to practice some skills that might be required in my field. Honestly though, all OS'es are good as long as you know how to work your way around them.

6. JoshSmith

JoshSmithNew Member

Threads:
    Used to be a huge Windows 7 fan but my computer somehow automatically updated to Windows 10. I was very upset at first but I actually kind of like it now. Might as well update to it now since there aren't many bugs anymore.

7. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I work in the IT department and we have a policy regarding software that includes the Operating System. The laptop issued to me for my official work is under the company's policy. That means I cannot install any software or application without the explicit permission of the software security unit. Ever since I was hired by this company, it is always Windows for the OS. At home, we were also forced to use the same OS to avoid complications. So it is Windows for us although I cannot say it is my favorite.

8. Casiox

CasioxActive Member

Threads:
    When itcomes to Operative Systems I personally think that Windows 7 has been and will always be my favorite OS. I've never had any kind of issue with it. I've been asked to switch to Windows 10, but I really think they still have to fix many bugs in it, so when that finally happens, I may want to switch.

9. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For those who aren't willing to let go of Windows XP yet, then you ought o consider download an unofficial Windows XP that's an upgrade of Windows XP Service Pack 3. This one is called WIndows XP service Pack 4 and was released after Microsoft ended support for XP.

And . . . it's free.

10. Casiox

CasioxActive Member

Threads:
    I didn't really believe there were people wh ostill use Windows XP. It makes sense because Windows XP has been the best Windows version that Microsoft has ever released, but come on, it's quite outdated nowadays. It's good and all that, but I wouldnt use it these days, indeed.

11. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    I have always been a Windows person, even though I am pretty aware that it has its downsides and I have heard all the things about the others being better, and even Linux coming into play and consideration as well. The iOS is appealing, but I just have to stay loyal and what I am familiar with, and Windows 10 is pretty exciting, so far at least.

12. angelaandrea

angelaandreaNew Member

Threads:
    my favorite OS i Linux because linux is so secure...

13. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    I can't say that I have a favorite OS in light of the fact that I've been only using Windows OS ever since the world begun. Yes I did tried to navigate iOS and Ubuntu, as well as ChromeOS but never actually owned one so I only had a limited experience with the mentioned operating system. Currently, I have Windows 10 Pro installed on my laptop and I can say that it's smooth and less laggy unlike when it was still running Windows 8.1 which I never really liked because it's a bit sluggish not to mention the WiFi bug which is I totally hate.

Furthermore, I'm actually considering to convert my old laptop to a Chromebook so I can try the ChromeOS which I think (as I've read in some reviews) is fast in terms of web works.

14. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    I have been using Windows since it was the first program in public cyber cafes before laptops came into existence. However, I now prefer Linux since it has few programs, it doesn't keep constantly updating like Windows. Its not susceptible to viruses and it looks to be the operating system of the future.

15. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Don't laugh but I'm still using Windows XP for my home desktop and also in the office. There is a saying that why fix it if ain't broke so why the need to upgrade when the XP is still capable of giving me all I need in the operations. But when I buy a new computer, definitely it will be the Windows 10 for the operating system because it is the bundled OS for new computers.

16. biege

biegeActive Member

Threads:
    Still, the best OS for me is Windows because most of the applications I use can only be ran on Windows unless of course I use Wine on Linux. I love Linux secondly because I can do programming better on this OS and it's not resource demanding compared with other OS I've used.

17. James-M

James-MMember

Threads:
    Some variety of Linux, although I can't decide which I like best. Currently running Ubuntu MATE, which has some nice features and much polish. I usually favor Mint Cinnamon, because I install it and it works, so hard to argue with that. I tried openSuSE for a few months, and might go back to it. Puppy on an old (12 years) laptop. Kubuntu, for its pizazz but not so much its rough edges. Manjaro, for its ease of intro into the Arch world. Lubuntu 32 bit, for those antiques.

Too many distros, so little time. Coincidentally, there are as many distros as there are varieties of Belgian beer.

18. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I have only used Windows, so I can be biased. But the fact that the other alternatives aren't compatible with the games that are being released aside from Windows, then I think that is enough reason for me to not even want to try the alternatives out there. And I actually prefer Windows XP or Vista over Windows 7, because my old games won't run on Windows 7.

19. AlexZ

AlexZMember

Threads:
    I'm going to have to say most definitely a GNU/Linux based OS. Distribution-wise, I currently use Linux Mint 13. GNU/Linux is the best OS (in my opinion) because of APT (software is installed from sources that contain packages, updates are handled by the system), and its wonderful customization. Literally every single part of the operating system can be manipulated. There are thousands of packages just waiting to be installed, tinkered with, and enjoyed.

20. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    If you put everything into a vacuum and did not have to factor in price or anything like that, I would probably say Apple. Given the price though and the fact that I am more used to the PC, I have to stick with that.