What's your secret for paying little to nothing for personal care products?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by True2marie • May 21, 2014.

1. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    A few years ago, in order to spend less on deodorant and other personal care products, I began shopping at the Dollar Tree. To my surprise, this establishment had many of the products I use regularly, but for a lot less. Since, I have never stopped going to this place even though I am better off financially.

2. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    While dollar stores do often have similar products as higher-retail places, I don't generally buy from dollar stores. I don't like to skimp on personal care products too frequently, as my skin is sensitive and I don't like a lot of the ingredients in cheaper products. I am all about using coupons, though, so that sometimes helps.

3. CrystalMarie

CrystalMarieActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I buy almost all my personal care products from stores like dollartree or dollarstore. I also look up their coupons often to get even more deals. This has saved me tons of money since I now know how to bargain.

4. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I try to stock up when my favorite drugstore brands are on sale and when Ulta or Sephora have a good coupon circulating. Sometimes, to save some money I just use the travel size shampoo, conditioner, soap and lotion that they put in your hotel room. These days L'occitane and other nice companies make the toiletries for hotels so I tend to toss them in my suitcase when I am on a trip to use for my next vacation or at home when I'm trying to save a little.

5. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I just usually get them on sale. Either buy one get one 50%off or buy one get one free... whenever I find products I need like that on sale at the drugstore or supermarket I get them even if I don't need them immediately.

6. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    I like to use the travel size items too. My parents travel a lot and end up bringing me back a lot of those little bottles. I also use freebie sites where I can get samples of products. Or sometimes I get samples sent to me in the mail or the gyms give them away from time to time. I like the portability of these products as well. I can just throw them in my purse if necessary.

7. alexiskilgannon

alexiskilgannonMember

Threads:
    I do not really like to use Dollar store products. I like to buy the real thing to get real results, but I always end up saving money one way or another. I usually check out my local swap meet where people will sell high end products for EXTREMELY cheap. If that doesn't work out, I look through groupon to see if I can find a score on some sort of personal care deal. :)

8. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    I don't skimp on anything when it comes to my family. Dollar Tree and most all stores carry the same brand(Pantene, Colgate Total, etc) just at different prices. I am a extreme couponer so not only does my family get the real deal but we also spend a ton LESS then most people. We use coupons. We know how to bargain shop. Dollar Tree has been a favorite with mine with all their name brand items and being free after coupon. No shame on my game. It takes a little work but hey, at least we get high quality products.

9. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Asking the same thing. The are very expensive, or somehow they take a big cut of my budget along with food. Usually to save, I try to avail promos and I buy big sizes also. I also use coupons. I use and avail all the ways on which I would be able to save.

10. Neperon

NeperonActive Member

Threads:
    Sounding fine enough basically discussing each and every aspect and learning from it can really be a positive especially when we get to learn form it and and at the same time it works in a positive manner so yeah this is how it is and surely you see how things get goodly ahead.

11. richc3

richc3Active Member

Threads:
    Look at the products you use and ask yourself WHY they work. Most of the time there's a primary ingredient in it that's the key and using similar products within the scope of that ingredient often has similar results.
    For example, I remember trying multiple facial cleaners and none of them seemed to work when I had trouble with acne. Eventually, I bit the bullet and tried the Proactiv system when it first came out and in time it worked well. However, it was pricey to keep purchasing the whole set and I tried to find an alternative. In my particular case, it didn't matter what cleaner I used for the most part, but rather using an appropriate astringent. Once I had that all figured out, I can use the most basic bare bones version at the store and it all works great.

Now, it's not always as cut and dry on this, but it can be on things like lotions and alike.

12. dustysmommy2013

dustysmommy2013Active Member

Threads:
    I can't say that when I do buy personal care products, I'm paying little to nothing. My only secret is that with some products, I use them sparingly. I would love to wear make-up everyday but I can't justify it if all I'm doing is hanging out with a toddler. This way, my make-up lasts a lot longer. I also use only about one spray of perfume per day and that's enough to make one bottle last quite awhile. A popular gift to give is lotions so I never have a shortage of those. I don't think I've bought a lotion for myself in years!

Obviously for products like deodorant and shampoo, I can't not use those! I don't like to skimp on them either as do I have my favorite brands that work well for me. My only secret is scrounging up as many coupons as I can find. I'm also surprised at how many of my favorite companies give out free samples, sometimes full size. I follow a lot of couponing blogs and they alert me to when I can score a sample or a high value coupon. Another secret is that if you write your favorite company and share how much you love them, you will sometimes get good coupons that way. When it comes to customer service and quality, never be afraid to use your voice.