What's your worst fear when it comes to travelling?

Discussion in Travel started by dieselfit • Jan 14, 2014.

1. dieselfit

dieselfitActive Member

Threads:
    Besides the criminal acts of people when it comes to new places, what's your worst fear? I've recently watched a movie where this woman and child moved to South Africa and shortly after the boy caught malaria from a mosquito which eventually kills him. I think this must be the worst fear for anyone who's travelling to new countries. What's your worst fear?

2. kristinaw

kristinawNew Member

Threads:
    MY worst fear when travelling is somehow getting involved in trouble and going to jail. Have you seen that show called 'Banged Up Abroad' on Discovery? It's crazy.

3. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree with the above. 2 people from my province were finally released recently and they had done nothing. They even found weird and non existent reason to detain them even longer, but they eventually, thanks to social media, were released and are doing well. I fear that so much. That and illness or crime. I don't care enough about travelling at the moment, so thankfully I don't have to worry about it. When I do get the bug again, I'll be as prepared as I can be and stick to the more touristy areas.

4. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    Aside from getting lost in a place where i can't speak the native language and maybe even get in trouble without a way to contact someone to help me? Losing important documents, specially the credit card and passport.

5. freebiefan1

freebiefan1New Member

Threads:
    My worst fear is that I would die in a plane crash. I hate flying, but that's the most convenient way to travel.

6. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    My worst fear is to get into real legal trouble like someone would frame me and I that I'll end up in jail. That thing always frightens me. I pray that never happens to me.

7. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    My worst fear is losing my luggage in another country. It's a nightmare trying to get the documents and identifications back especially my passport. Not to mention no money. If I'm lucky I might get them back otherwise I'll have to get stuck there for a long time.

8. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    My biggest fear is losing Passport/Travel Tickets and then not having enough money to get replacements sorted. I literally have no idea what I would do in such a situation. I did lose a boarding pass once but luckily found it about 15 minutes before the flight was due to leave. I've never lost a wallet though thank god.

9. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never find it necessary to be shown around by tour guides. I distinctly remember a time [when passing through a seedy neighborhood in some state when the locals suddenly mistook me for one of the guys who'd assaulted one of them. Needless to say when a crowd of toughs surrounded me I almost panicked but my worry at that time was getting sent to prison for killing someone.

I guess that's all I ever worry about. . .getting sent to some state penitentiary because I used excessive force in self-defense.

10. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My biggest fear when travelling is the plane crashing, or getting to the country and not being let in by customs. Imagine how awful that would be.
    Aside from those fears I'm pretty carefree when it comes to travelling. I have traveled by myself a few times and I loved it. I think traveling is a great exercise for courage and confidence, specially to different countries.

11. avasmom

avasmomMember

Threads:
    My greatest fear is being in an accident away from home. I cannot imagine how I would deal with health care, especially long term, if my family was in a traffic accident when we were far from home. :(

12. dieselfit

dieselfitActive Member

Threads:
    I guess that happens to people when they least expect it right? I've never seen it but I have seen the documentaries where people are set up and didn't know about the illegal items that they were carrying. That would be crazy too. I have to look into that TV show, but I think when fears are developed like that, it may attract trouble. Ever seen more of something when you keep imagining it? Yeah that's what I'm talking about lol!

13. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    Worst fear?

I really don't have one. The main thing for me is to thrive in life. So, maybe that's it.

I don't want to be an unproductive human being. (know too many of them.)

14. dieselfit

dieselfitActive Member

Threads:
    You do have a great point. It goes without saying "there's nothing to fear but fear itself". But you must have some fear that you conquer when you're travelling to new places. Have you traveled before? You must have thought of something that was really fearful that could happen to you. There's way too many movies that build these scenarios into our minds lol.

15. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Traveling for me usually is a family thing that involves a budget and scheduling holidays at work, so in a certain way it is "huge". My worse fear would be no doubt one of us becoming sick or having some sort of an accident. Sure, health comes first, but it would be annoying to have all that preparing ruined and our once or twice a year vacations ruined by some health problem or a car accident for example.

Avasmon makes a good point too, accidents away from home are much harder to deal with, especially if it's a serious accident.

16. delusional

delusionalActive Member

Threads:
    I always fear my documents getting stolen. That would be the worst thing to happen as I would have to go through all kinds of things just to get back home. It happened to my sister and it really sucks.

17. rossonomous

rossonomousActive Member

Threads:
    My worst fear is losing my suitcase. This happened to my sister when she went to America for 1 year and the airport did not locate it until 3 weeks into her holiday. Fortunately they paid compensation but it did ruin her holiday.

18. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have any fear, I actually enjoy venturing into new places. I'm a big bloke and can handle myself, so not many people are stupid enough to pick a fight with me, and I always make sure I have money in my bank account in case I lose my wallet and tickets.

19. ebby23

ebby23Member

Threads:
    When traveling, like many others, I book my hotel room online. I usually aim for hotels with 3 or more stars and carefully read the reviews and ratings. Either way, you never know what you are getting yourself into. Each individual view things different and although they may think the hotel is a 3 star, I might see it as a 2 star. However, my worst fear when it comes to traveling is arriving at a hotel and it's the complete opposite of what I visioned it to be. I have a phobia with staying in dirty hotels and the pictures online can be deceiving at times.

20. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, that's my worst fear, getting sick abroad. While I always purchase international health insurance whenever I travel, it still feels different when you get sick outside of your home country. You are not familiar with the doctors and there are no relatives around to help you.