When and where did you have your first drink?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Evelyn Freshsmith • Oct 8, 2014.

1. Evelyn Freshsmith

Evelyn FreshsmithMember

Threads:
    I remember mine, I was 14 years old. We girls were pretty excited about our first night out and bought some beers to a friend's place. Good old days!

2. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    It was a New Year's Eve party at one of my aunts home. My older cousins gave me Piña Colada with Baileys and later Coquito with rum. I think I was 13. All of our parents where there so it's not like they would have let us get drunk or anything.

3. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I was encouraged by one of my relatives to drink beer when I was seven years old. I didn't want to drink it, but was coerced into it. Needless to say that I couldn't stand it, and felt ill from it. But my relative and his friend thought that it was hilarious. In later years I understood that it was a form of abuse that they committed on me.
    I tried a few drinks when I was younger. I even got drunk a couple of times, but I have never acquired a taste for it. As a matter of fact, I haven't touched any alcoholic beverage in over 15 years.

4. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I must have tasted beer when I was younger than this but I never really liked it so it mustn't have been more than a sip.
    Then when I was 15 I started going out with my friends until late and I had some vodka, of course after that I also drank lots of other stuff :)

5. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Not joking, I was like 5 years old, and my second oldest sister tricked me into thinking the big brown bottle contained a expensive soda. So she gave me the 32oz bottle with the Budweiser label and I gave myself a mouthful of home-brewed moonshine! I ran to the nearest sink and spat most of it out, but some I had swallowed and some was absorbed through my mouth. I felt joyful for like an hour and then it went all downhill from there. My parents got mad at me, but pissed at my older sister for tricking me, and I still haven't forgot the whole experience even now. Maybe this is why I drink so much fermented drinks all the time? Nah, that can't be it. I know the reason i drink alcoholic beverages, which resulted years after this incident, and simply because I enjoy such drinks.

6. Jake

JakeActive Member

Threads:
    That is interesting, I had a similar experience with a different outcome. My dad would give me empty beer bottles as a toddler so that I could play around with it. As I got a little older, he would occasionally let me have a sip of his beer - this started around the age of 7. I did not particulary like the taste as a kid, but curiousity always got the best of me and I eventually acquired a taste for it. I do not drink regularly, nor am I an alcoholic, but I do enjoy a good beer and a nice strong glass of whiskey when the occasion permits.

7. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I've always had sips of alcohol here and there growing up, since my moms side of the family is 100% Italian and we would always go over to my grandparents for dinner, during which they would pass around trays of whiskey and everyone had beer and wine with their meals. My parents would give me and my siblings a little sip of whiskey or wine, I suspect to calm us down.

I didn't really start "drinking" until I was around 19 years old, and my co-workers and I used to hit up this one drive thru and get bottles of Mad Dog, then go drive around all night drinking it. This was also around the time I started sneaking into some bars which were more relaxed about checking ID's, and we would order a pitcher of something and split it, such as Alabama Slammers. I guess we were worried the more trips we made to the bar, the greater the odds someone might card us or bust us.

When I turned 21, that's kind of when all hell broke loose and I became a regular at several bars.

8. Goat of Departure

Goat of DepartureActive Member

Threads:
    My first drink was at home actually. I was alone in the house for a day and I got kind of bored and I went through our cabinet full of hard liquor and I took a sip. I think I was 10 or 12 years old at the time.

I can't remember what drink it is, I think it was whiskey I'm not sure but I was too much of an idiot that I thought it would taste wonderful so I took a bottle of Jack, took a glass, not a shot glass mind you but an actual glass. I filled it half way and I took it straight and once it touched my throat I just coughed it up and wondered how the hell people are able to drink that.

9. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My old man drank like a fish. When he didn't want to go out, he'd buy beer and drink at home. Sometimes he didn't drink all the beer bought so there was some of it when he went to work on Monday. It's hard not to give in to temptation when you have bottles of beer around. I can't remember exactly when I had my first taste but I believe I was around 6 yrs old. But the taste was so awful that I never touched the stuff again.

10. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I never really got used to drinking. But I have a high alcohol tolerance, so I don't get drunk that easy. I could go against my peers who are heavy drinker. I could match their strength, despite that I am not used to drink as heave as they do. I first started to drink, or rather I first come in contact to it when I was just a kid, when my the elder are trying to make fun of kids like me that they would have them taste and laugh at whatever reaction of the kid will come out. As for me, they saw nothing, or not as close as to what they expected. It was for them like I have drunk something different, but not at all bad, or stingy.

11. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My first drink was a shot of Southern Comfort. I was 17 years old and it was my first year in college. My college was a known party college. They had parties every weekend and the weekend started on Thursday. The drinking age in the state was 18 (I think they have changed it since then). I never hung out at those parties. I refused to drink beer.

My roommates encouraged me to take a shot. I did. They expected me to pass out. I didn't. It was good, but not good enough for me to continue to drink. I know my liver is very thankful.

12. plantain

plantainMember

Threads:
    Well the first time I took a sip of beer I was probably 6 or 7. Both my parents drank beer so one time I asked them for a sip. They let me have one and of course I thought it was nasty!
    I don't have a clear memory of the first time I had a beer to myself, not because I got drunk, since I probably drank less than a full one because I didn't like the taste back then. It just wasn't memorable. Some cheap watery beer out of a red Solo cup. I do remember the first time I had liquor - it was after an internet meetup where some of us went to this guy's fancy apartment after. He let us have a shot of Belvedere straight from his freezer. I actually thought it was pretty smooth! I am glad that was my first time drinking liquor because that is a pretty nice quality vodka, at least. Haha.

13. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    Oh, I remember it like it was yesterday!! I was 15 ( definitely not yesterday!! ;) ) and my parents went out to dinner and a movie. I had a friend over and that was the night. My parents weren't drinkers so we never really had alcohol in the house. We did manage to find a bottle of peach schnapps!!!! At 15 you think that's amazing!! ummm... nope. We drank a ton of it and we were not happy with ourselves later on !!

Danyel :)

14. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    Pretty sure I was like 14 or so when I tried one of my moms wine coolers, really didn't like it just because it was raspberry.

15. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    According to stories when I was a baby I've had a dip of Brandy. At family parties from the time I was about 10 I was allowed to sip a snowball, hooch, bucks fizz or babycham. Haha remember feeling so adult and privileged. They have always said better to let me have a sip then say no and make it seem forbidden probably would have wanted it more.

16. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I was 13, but almost invariably had older friends, so it was kind of just a matter of time, really. I was hanging out with a bunch of friends and upon a few different offers that I refused I was just curious...it was a beer, a really crappy beer, at that. lol. I didn't drink too much when I was younger, and I don't really drink very much now either- I like it on occasion but I just don't have much of a taste for it.

17. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I was allowed to taste various types of alcoholic drinks as I was growing up so I got to sip and taste beer, wine and sparkling wine way before I was a teen, but the first time I really got to drink a good amount was when I was around 14 or 15 with my friends. We went out with some of my friends' older siblings and drank a bit of mixed drinks and beer, but not too much as even then I never was really that much of a fan of alcohol.