When Buying Electronics Do You Do Research On What You Are Buying?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by DMlad • Dec 8, 2016.

1. DMlad

DMladNew Member

Threads:
    A lot of people when buying new electronics go to the store (or the internet) and decide what brand and price they want on the spot. I usually do a lot of research since mediocre electronics annoy me a lot, but it obviously takes time. I am interested in seeing whether people prefer saving time and buying whatever brand there is, or if people prefer doing their research to guarantee they are getting the best quality for the least amount of money.

2. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    When I'm buying electronics then I do tend to do a bit of research before I buy, but anything else like clothes for example I don't. I think that with electronic goods then you do get what you pay for a lot of the time, and so if you know a bit about what you are looking to invest in then you can get some good deals.

ther items aren't as easy to haggle over either I've found, so even if I do my research and find exactly hat I'm looking for you still end up paying the same price as you would do normally anyway.

3. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I usually like to quickly research online after finding something I may want to purchase. I usually read the reviews or ask online to people that have purchased that item. If most of the reviews are positive and the price is decent compared to what others have paid for it, I will buy it. I mostly check the basics because some people complain about programs that I don't even know about or use.

4. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    You are right and a lot depends I think on how well up you are specific items if it's worth your while researching or not. If you don't know anything about computers for example, is it worth taking your time looking at all the options when you aren't really sure what your looking at in the first place?

5. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    When buying electronics I usually do some research to compare prices and device ability. I like to make sure I will be paying for something I will actually use and that comes with the settings I am needing. For example when purchasing a laptop or camera I want to make sure it's good quality and that they come with all the features to help me get my work done.

6. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    In those situations, I think it's best to have a friend or a family member that is tech savvy help you with your purchasing choices. I don't think that it's too hard finding someone that knows these things. In the case of my family, I'm the one they go to for technology help or technology choices. While your at it, have them teach you a bit.

7. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to work in the IT department so I have a good orientation when it comes to buying electronic gadgets. When I buy a computer, I always list down the specifications that I need and review it carefully. If needed, I consult people who are experts in the field.

8. Kaushik Angara

Kaushik AngaraActive Member

Threads:
    I do a lot of research before buying electronic items online. First up, I go to the manufacturer's website to get insight on the product specifications. Next, I consult my family and friends who have purchased similar products. I also read online blogs and forums to get some experience from the customer point of view. Lastly, I check out the reviews of the product on the e-commerce website and contact some of the reviewers to understand the product better.

Before buying the product, I check if there are any promo codes or discounts available to get the best deal. When you are spending a lot of money, it is necessary to do your research before you buy the product.

9. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like all of you do lots of research before buying electronics. We all have our specific needs and price ranges so shopping around is a must aside of researching an electronics. I found that asking for reviews of people who have bought computers is good. Some have bought for many years some laptops and you get the inside information about a laptop or other electronics. I like to buy on sale always for electronics for I got a tight budget to adhere to. But it's fun researching and window shopping online for electronics. When I finally make my purchase I feel I'm satisfied after doing all I need to do before buying and I'm happier with my electronic device.

10. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    Research is a must for me before buying electronic products.

I look and compare the specifications, make, brands, memory, battery and other fine details of my interest before I finally settle on one choice.

11. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I research most of my purchases ahead of time, unless they're minor ones, such as socks, etc., where research isn't really needed. I don't have a lot of disposable income to play with, so making the correct decision when shopping is imperative, since I won't have the money to purchase a different one if the first item I select doesn't suit my purposes, or is faulty.

12. Binu

BinuActive Member

Threads:
    Whether it is an electronic item or any other item, I always do research on the product I am buying. If I am buying online, I will check the price on various stores, I even go the the local market and look for the product. I will buy the product from the place where I have to pay less. I do research by visiting local stores asking for the price when I am buying offline.

13. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    When we're talking about research though, these days a lot of people will research on the internet and I'm sure we all know that sometimes some of the information we find on there can also be misleading meaning that we end up making poor choices.

While there are still a few trustworthy sites around, they seem to be getting swamped by the sites that are less reputable so again we have to be careful what we believe, even when we do take our time and research items properly.

14. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    Whenever I wanted to buy something, whether it's an electronic device or not, I normally check the best products the fits my budget. Like for instance, I would like to get a new laptop and my budget is $300, I would certainly browse the web to check all the laptops that ranges close to $300, read their descriptions, check their reviews on YouTube if there's one and compare, then I'll decide which to get.

Sure it will take time and there are plenty of products to check on but for me, it will be worth my time and effort since I'll know the best gadget that will suit my budget :)

15. Working Buck

Working BuckActive Member

Threads:
    I used to check on reviews whenever I wanted to buy gadgets, but since I started writing articles for some website owners, I do not believe on reviews anymore. I'll tell you why. I was writing articles when my client asked me to do an article about a certain product, as I was reading the instructions I was on the last part when it read that I have to make a negative article about it. I checked online and I can not see any negative things about the product. After a few days, the same client asked me to make an article about a certain binary options company, he said I need to make a positive review about the company. I checked the company online and have seen tons of people who got scammed by it.

16. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    In fact I do online research before doing anything like shopping, going for a movie or before buying a book. As already mentioned earlier Internet is flooded with various information and some of them are quite misleading. Some companies post wrong claims just to attract more customers. If possible it is good to take feedback from an online forum where you can expect candid reviews from members.

Nowadays writing product reviews is like a profession. Some people do it just to make more money and they are not bothered about writing the true information. But you can get an overall idea of the product before actually owning it.

17. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I am always skeptical when buying electronics, the money required is big and wouldn't be happy to get disappointed, hardly have the time repeating a task. In addition to reading it up online, other ways I do my research is get to meet people already using that product and take reviews from them. I'd see to how it functions take a critical look, read up the manuals and check for the country of make.

18. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    You just have to in my opinion. Especially when you are going in trying to save some money or just get the best for the money your spending. Sometimes you do not have to spend to get the best for what you need, so I definitely have to research.

19. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Lately I had to buy the battery pack for my mobile phone from the Internet. I had no choice for there was no available in the electronic store in our local place or in the capital city. Doing some research online, I was able to find one and made a purchase. By a matter of week, I received the item. I paid it through my PayPal account.Online product researching is of great help if there's no available item in the local store.

20. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    I always want to read product reviews because I don't want to buy something with planned obsolescence. I hate buying things that will be broken in few years or worse months. I usually hesitate buying new models because they usually have less consumer reviews. I wait for at least a year before considering to buy a new computer. I wanted an established model with positive reviews.