When Buying New Clothes . . .

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Denis Hard • Nov 14, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A number of people especially those who are fashion-conscious will buy new clothes any time something new is on the market. When replacing them since it's highly unlikely you'll be donning the clothes you are replacing making an attempt to make some money from them would indirectly save you some money because the proceeds from the sales could be used to buy new clothes at a later date.

There are lots of sites where you can sell your used clothes online. Why keep clothes which you won't ever wear again when you could make a little money from them?

2. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I agree. Where I live we have consignment stores for women's and men's clothing, as long as they are in good shape and brand names. You can get up to 50% of what they sell your clothes for, which is better than nothing. I know you can sell you used clothes on ebay but then there is the hassle of shipping. If my clothes are in good shape I'll consign them and if they are not I will give to Good Will or Salvation Arny. I do the same with my kids clothes.

3. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you're in need or just have to have those brand names, then yes, it's a great idea. I personally feel I can't make a life changing amount of money from my used clothes, so I'd rather donate them instead. My last batch went to families who lost their homes to fire. If I could pay the bills with my clothing, then I would definitely consider the consignment or ebay root etc.

4. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I tend to put all unwanted clothes aside and take them down to the weigh-in if things get tight financially. Granted, they don't make much but everything is a help when it's four days before payday and there's no money left.

5. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In my lifetime, we had a garage sale just once. In that one day affair, I saw how people gobble up items just because they were being sold on a low price. Imagine, a shoe with detached sole for 1 dollar was sold. So I guess it is easy to sell used clothes when the price is low. But if you will expect to augment the budget for the new clothes with the proceeds of the sale of the old clothes, that's being too wishful.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    True, if you don't intend to wear the same piece of clothing then it's better to just sell them or give them away. It will free some valuable closet space too. I actually have a bunch of clothes that I want to get rid of, and I'm thinking of selling them.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've tried this in the past but it's a bit too much effort for me to list each item just to get a small amount in return, although I agree that in bulk it does make a difference. If I could just sell them all at once I'd be much more willing but I haven't had any luck with finding buyers that would purchase something like that as most just want one or two from the selection. I tend to just donate them at the end of the year so others can get use out of it at least and I just consider it charity expense on my part.

8. Brenda Barnousky

Brenda BarnouskyActive Member

Threads:
    Where I live, we don't really have any businesses that buy used clothing. The only choices I have are consignment stores, ebay or yard sales. I never have much luck with ebay, and consignment stores won't take anything unless it looks almost new. I usually just store it up, and have a couple of yard sales per year or donate it.

9. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I don't sell my old clothes because I wear them out! I wear them out until they are stained or they are falling apart. I only buy clothes that are classic and have great workmanship. If they are super cheap t-shirts then they are not being passed around. No one is going to want my old shirts!

10. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I tried to sell a number of good clothes to a consignment shop and I never made a dime! I think they all ended up donated. I have used consignment shops successfully in the past to sell toys and children's items though. Alot of those stores are really worthwhile. Now a days I don't own many high end clothes I could sell.

11. Brenda Barnousky

Brenda BarnouskyActive Member

Threads:
    The biggest problem with consignment stores is that they won't/can't sell items for the price the consignor wants them to be priced. The consignor usually wants a lower price put on their items, but the store very often has a need to move things quickly, while making maximum profit. It's a balancing act.

12. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    People with clothes and fashion obsession won't care much about the amount they have to dish out. It's their appearance that matters. So if they get rid of clothes, I don't think it would be that much of a deal if they do some of the clothes they don't use. Other people might have a better use for them. I'm sure some fashionistas have problems with money given their lifestyle. However, selling their unused clothes would at least offset some of the costs.

13. goldenmaine

goldenmaineActive Member

Threads:
    I am not much of a shopper of new clothes and sometimes I wear the same clothes over and over again. Heck, even billionaire Zuckerberg of Facebook wears the same shirt but different colors when he goes to work, and I love his reason that it takes so much time to decide what clothes to wear, he doesn't want to waste time on trivial things, and rather focus his decision-making for the benefit of his company. I, too, have the same view and in addition, I am thrifty and would spend more on food than clothes. I accept hand me downs from family members too. I donate or sell my old clothes and the time I will buy new ones are when I really need them, work related, or a must need for an occasion to attend to.

14. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    There are some places that take used clothes like Plato's closet. Though I have heard that the store is very picky about the clothes they except even if it is name brand. Consignment shops can be OK just as long as the owner is fair with their policies. I would worry about my clothes getting lost in shipping. Especially since the holiday season is the time when more people experience theft of packages.