When did you start saving?

Discussion in Savings & Investments Plans started by Strykstar • Sep 29, 2014.

1. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    At what age did you seriously start saving money and/or investing?
    It seems like one of those things that I know I need to get started on but I never seem to manage doing it properly.

2. erik120

erik120Active Member

Threads:
    I started saving some cash around a year ago because I my family was in a pretty bad financial situation and we had to make due somehow by cutting on the budget of certain commodities and certainly saving some money of course. I managed to save up a good sum of money but had to give it away at one point for the benefit of the household so we could start a small business which is starting to taking off the ground, albeit slowly.

3. AresBlade

AresBladeActive Member

Threads:
    I started seriously looking into how to save money only 3 years ago. It coincides directly into when my first child was born. It's almost become an addition though, I love a deal! If you spend a bit of time it's really amazing what deals you can find out there for interest rates, etc and deals on the best places to bank. I'd hate to leave my kids with nothing.

#3Sep 29, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  4. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I started saving just last year. And by saving I mean seriously and with-my-future-in-mind saving. I'm already in my mid 20s and if I don't try to save for my future as early as now, I'm afraid I'd have to give up on my dreams. That's the unfortunate reality: we need money and resources to fuel our dreams (in most cases, that is). In the past, everytime I try to save, something always happens to prevent my savings from taking off. So now, I'm glad to say, I have saved well but of course, I still need to save more. Just remind yourself everyday: I'm not getting any younger. This will pull you back to earth and push you to save. Remember YOLO. So save now lest you regret it in the future.

5. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    When I was little I was obsessed with saving money. I put away everything I could. I also had a fake checkbook to play with, lol. I didn't start putting money away as an adult until my late 20's though. Before then I didn't earn enough to have much left over.

6. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    Ah those savings as a child, I did that too, it's much easier to save when you don't have any expenses besides candy :)
    I'm in my late 20's now and still have some trouble putting some money aside constantly, but that really just has to do with my income.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I started saving when I was very young, even if no one in my family really taught me to do so. I think I just always liked the concept of having a lot of money saved up. The only problem is that I usually love spending it all once it gets big enough because I love spending in bulk. Though, as I grow older I'm less able to just mindlessly spend the savings, so I just aim to make more so that I could spend more and still get to save.

8. owesem75

owesem75Active Member

Threads:
    I started late. I am now in my late 30s. I should have done it much earlier but my family needed my support so I have to yield. Nonetheless, I made sure that I regularly contribute in my social security so I could get something in the future. Right now, I can say that I have just enough and I invested some of it in the stock market to make it grow a little faster than the interest you get in your regular savings account.

9. Sunshine

SunshineActive Member

Threads:
    I started saving from my first job, at age 14. I have been saving ever since. When I got college loans, I put away what I didn't need into savings. When I got my first career job, I was so busy working I never spent, so I put all the excess in savings. When I first got married, we lived off one salary. As we added another salary and got raises over the years, everything went in savings, and we still live off the same little amount we started with.

It becomes a lifestyle and it is like saving for the principle of saving, not saving for the purpose of spending it later. Once in a while we splurge, on entertainment and restaurants, but not very often. More now we splurge on good quality luxury items. But for the majority of our life prior, we just did without.

10. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    I probably started around 13 or 14. I had a paper round job at the time so I was earning my first income at that point. I wouldn't say that I've been consistent all the time but the spirit of saving has always been there for me.

11. owesem75

owesem75Active Member

Threads:
    When I was a kid, I used to save.. but spend it buying some things that I really don't need.. like new clothes or shoes when I still have something to wear. It is really when you start earning your own money that you will realize the value of savings. But of course, it is not always too late for savings.. for as long as you are able to work and work harder to get some more extra.. you can always start to save. Personally, I seriously start savings when I reached my mid 30s. I thought I am over with some of my obligation so, its time to save for retirement.. and after thorough research on personal research, I realized that savings is not ENOUGH. You have to learn how to invest your savings so the money will work harder as you and you get some passive income or another stream of income aside from the regular income.

12. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I started saving money when I was a kid. My mom and dad opened a kiddie savings account for me. However, hard times came and I had to withdraw that money for personal reasons. I currently have a savings account but I only have enough for emergency situations. The rest of my money is put into various investment programs in hopes of earning a bit of income later on.

13. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    I know I'm a bit of a freak in this arena. I have always been a saver. From the very first birthday envelopes with cash in them (when I was quite young) until now, I've always been good at savings.

My parents helped me open my first savings account in 4th grade, and I never withdrew money from it until college. Then, when I entered college (and had my first long term job) my dad encouraged me to open a Roth IRA, which I did at the age of 20. I'm now only 33.

I've put the maximum amount allowed in my Roth every year and it is currently worth well over 60K. Not a lot people my age have had such luck and guidance, I think, so I'm eager to get my kids started early as well.