When Do You Buy Christmas Decorations?

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by ilike2save • Dec 2, 2012.

1. ilike2save

ilike2saveNew Member

Threads:
    For the past few years, I have bought Christmas ornaments after the holiday at huge discounted prices. I now have enough to put on the tree plus extra to use in other decor around The House.

I find myself wanting some garland, but I am too cheap to pay full price. I will probably stock up on that this year when it goes on sale.

So what about you? When do you buy your decor? A few months early or a year in advance? Where do you find the best deals in your town?

2. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    In my city stores dedicated to selling Christmas items begin to put their products on sale during the last weeks of November. Despite that, in my house we buy something new as the holidays approach. In fact, when the decoration is ready we kept adding various details of decoration with new products. Of course, those aren't big purchases, but it's always nice to add something new to the table or Christmas tree ready for that special occasion. :D

3. ilike2save

ilike2saveNew Member

Threads:
    There are some specialty places in my area that start putting out the Christmas stuff in JULY!!

4. LovelyLanie

LovelyLanieMember

Threads:
    July is a little early I think, though if you're smart you start shopping early anyway to avoid overpaying as the big day gets closer. As for Christmas decorations, we've been using the same ones for years and years. Each one is special and has memories associated with it. For example, we hang all of the cards we've gotten from friends and family from the past twenty years by hanging them on the garlands. We have cards from departed relatives and old friends who have moved too far away to visit regularly. We always smile when we go through them each year.

5. jleadbet

jleadbetActive Member

Threads:
    I use mostly the same decorations from year to year. If I pick up something new, it's usually because it's different from anything else I already own. I always buy ornaments for my kids, and I just look for the best sale on those. Usually those have a sentimental value, so I might spend a little more for the right one.

6. sdjaxson

sdjaxsonActive Member

Threads:
    I save what I have from year to year unless I grow tired of it. I also buy new things at the end of the holiday season when they mark it down 75 percent off! One in a blue moon if something before that is a good deal and its totally cute and I want it, I will buy it. We also make decorations handmade new each year.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    We mostly just re-use old stuff as much as we can and then mix and match them to make something a little bit different each year. We only buy brand new ones every 2 years or so, and even then we only buy the items that need replacing like lights. It's a good thing too because we are able to use the money saved for more or better food and gifts which I prefer almost entirely to having good Christmas decorations.

8. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I usually just re use old stuff. I'd buy it in January if I ever did need to replace it. Buy it when it's cheap, theres no need to buy it in December, you would know before hand if it needed replacing so you should do it earlier in the year.

9. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't ever buy it after Christmas because i don't have the room to store it for a year but i just recently got all my decorations and what not i usually get a lot of my stuff from the dollar tree cheaper and just as good.

10. olorien

olorienActive Member

Threads:
    I only buy a few new ornaments a year. I try to pick something different and unique that makes our tree special. A week before Christmas, I notice the prices for ornaments have been cut pretty deep, so that's when I shop. It's a good time to get other Christmas items as well, such as wrapping paper, candy and gifts.

11. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We do try to use the same decorations from one year to the next. We also take advantage of the end of the year sales to replace the items that have broken, no longer look good or something we saw that we would like to add to the collection.

12. Koala

KoalaNew Member

Threads:
    I always saved all of my ornaments from before or did what you did and went out and bought ornaments for the next year. I like doing that since they're so cheap after! Now I have decorations for this year haha I haven't gotten to putting my tree up though which I probably should XP

13. hunysukle

hunysukleActive Member

Threads:
    I reuse all my Christmas decor from previous years. However, I do add some new decor, which I purchase at dollar stores. I never spend much money on Christmas decorations, but rather on gifts instead.

14. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    I usually buy them after the Christmas holidays past. The stores in my city usually do a huge drop in the prices, just to get rid of it. So they can make way for new things.

15. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We haven't purchased any Christmas decorations for over ten-years. We keep all of our old decorations in boxes in the loft and we use the same decorations each year. A few years ago we purchased some nice snowman lights for the fireplace but that's it.

16. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I do the same thing. I always buy mine after the holidays are over. I get huge discounts and the following year, I'm never at risk of being out of items I need. That means when I take down this year's stuff, I can safely throw out decorations that are getting too old, too, and then I don't fear forgetting to buy them the next year because I'll have already bought replacements.

17. ami560

ami560Member

Threads:
    My family just reuses whats left over from last year. Stores near us usually start selling decorations in early November, so we may pick up a few things to replace burnt out lights and such, but we don't buy much. In addition, we also pick up a few things after more of as impulse buys if we go anywhere and use them the next year.

18. bryce12

bryce12Active Member

Threads:
    I used to buy them during October but these days I buy them right after Christmas for the next year. Most retailers offer big discounts on decorations after Christmas so it makes sense to take advantage of the deals. Plus you can use the same decorations year after year so you don't have to buy then every year.