When do you give flowers?

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by David Scott • Apr 8, 2014.

1. David Scott

David ScottNew Member

Threads:
    I often see big Bunches of flowers arrive at the reception desk at work and I think to myself "Someone is guilty of something". I know its not the case and its probably a reflection of my own attitude towards flower giving but aside from birthdays, anniversaries the birth of a baby when do you give flowers?

I used to only buy them as a peace offering and by and large it worked but I discovered a while back a local flower farm that sold flowers really cheap. Not only are they inexpensive but they are freshly cut too. Every couple of weeks when I am driving by I will pick up a small bunch for my wife for no particular reason. She loves it and it brightens up her day (as well as The House).

So when do you give flowers? Regularly, occasionally or when you are in trouble?

2. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Funny how those thoughts and feelings have crept into one's consciousness. When I see bunches of flowers in vases, I think of funerals and birthdays, or as you say, somebody did something that they shouldn't have done.
    That's why I never give flowers to anyone, and if I do, then they are living plants in a pot. Occasionally I get a single rose, would you believe, for myself. :) I love purple and yellow roses. So when I see one in a flower shop that talks to me, I buy it for the special feeling that it gives me. I never throw it away but dry it and let it sit on my book shelf or on my bedside table.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't attend funerals or weddings and so I don't have to buy flowers on such occasions.

However, each valentine's day, I buy flowers and send them anonymously two or three lonely people I know to make them feel better. Since it makes them think they have a secret admirer somewhere for that one day they are a happier.

4. giftblooms

giftbloomsNew Member

Threads:
    I didn't give the flowers to any one on such occasion, so I don't know the answer of your question.
    However, you can give the flowers on any occasion, such as birthday, anniversary, wedding or funerals.

5. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    I usually gift flowers for a close friend's birthday or if someone has had a death in the family.

I have also given flowers for holidays.

I don't always gift flowers though. Sometimes I'm in search of something more creative.

6. Rusky

RuskyMember

Threads:
    Weddings, funerals, birthdays and anniversaries are the big ones obviously. But I'll also pick some up for things like mother's day, or just if I see a nice set of flowers which I know the person I'm with would like.

7. eagle22

eagle22Active Member

Threads:
    Obviously I will try to give flowers on special occasions like her birthday or our anniversary, but I actually try to surprise her randomly with flowers. I know she loves flowers so I figured I might as well try to make her happy with random surprises.

8. Eagle910

Eagle910Active Member

Threads:
    I rarely, if ever give flowers.

I think the notion that people love flowers is a myth. I think it is a useless gimmick. In my experience no one really like flowers at all. The only time i give flowers is at funerals. When they put them on the graves.

Other than that. I do not waste my time, or money on flowers. Because no one really wants them.

9. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    I offer flowers in the form of wreaths during funerals. I give flower bouquets to concert diva friend after performances. Those are the only occasions I give flowers. I don't prefer receiving flowers as a sign of affection since I cannot eat them, so I'd rather have chocolates. In the same light I don't give flowers as a sign of affection or apology.

10. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I give my wife a bouquet of flowers at Valentine's Day and on our anniversary. She loves getting them and I don't have to wrack my brain thinking of what gift to buy, win/win :D

It's definitely not true that no one actually enjoys them, my wife loves getting them, if it was up to her, I'd buy them every day.