When Good Is Better Than Best

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Diane Lane • Apr 3, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I recently purchased a new hose for use with spraying weed killer. I'll also use it with another chemical product that keeps fleas, ticks, mosquitoes and other insects at bay. I already have two hoses that I'm happy with, but I needed a longer one so I could reach the ditch out front, since in this particular area, that's the homeowner's or renter's responsibility, rather than the city's.

I won't be keeping this hose attached to the water source, since 100' is too unwieldy for me to trek around with as I water, wash the car, etc., so I purchased an inexpensive medium duty hose. After using it, I'd call it more of a light duty hose than medium duty, and it kept kinking up, which was irritating, but I'm keeping the hose, simply because the combination of the hose and the length of spray from it can reach almost from one end of the property to the other.

I only paid $19.99 for the hose, so it works about as well as I expected, and it accomplished the job for which it was purchased. In this case, good enough was good enough, and I didn't feel the need to pay more money for a better quality product.

Are there areas where you've settled for lower or o.k. quality, rather than paying more for excellent quality products?

2. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah, and that seems to be the story of my life, at least as of late. I can think of a lot of those examples, but one thing that comes quickly to mind is the generic variety of the Mr. Clean scrubber sponges. The white ones. I found these in a generic variety which are the same sponge essentially. I think they work every bit as well as the Mr. Clean brand and they were 50 percent less. I mean I buy what I can afford period, and that is rarely the top quality item. In most cases anyway, you are paying for a brand name, and the advertisting that is contained therein. Compare ingredients or specs. on products and you will see it is true for the most part.

3. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I think as long as it does the job then it's fine and you don't need to replace it, especially if it's something you only use occasionally or only for one specific purpose like this. I'm much the same with some things. I don't see the point of paying for a brand name of anything unless there's a very specific reason for doing so. As long as something will work for the purpose I need it for that's what's most important.

4. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I will more often buy an item that is not name brand since it is really just the name that you are paying for. In most cases, the item works or tastes the same or better than the name brand product anyway. I think if the item serves its purpose then you have made a great buy and have saved some money in the process. Name brands just have so much hype about them that everyone just feels these will be the better buy and that is what the companies are counting on.

5. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree you do not need to purchase name brand to get a good product. I have found that often the store brand is as good as the name brand item if it works for the job you need to be completed.

6. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Ke Gordon@Ke Gordon I've never tried the Mr Clean magic erasers, what do you use them for? I haven't seen an ad lately, but I'm sure I would find them useful. Do they work on soap scum? Of course, I'd buy the generic ones, where have you found them? I know we're probably on similar budgets, and it seems most brand names are out of range, but thankfully, we know how to save money while still getting things that work for us.

Right now, I'm trying to decide how to store the hose so it takes up less room and is easy to use next time. I will probably keep it in something plastic and store it on the back porch.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I remember buying cheaper laundry soap, but it isn't as fragrant as the more expensive ones. Also, cheaper slippers seem to get ruined more quickly than more expensive sandals.