When is better to run, in the morning or in the evening?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by 003 • May 30, 2014.

1. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    For it doesn't really matter. I run 30 minutes in the morning and another 30 minutes in the evening, before and after class. The good thing running in the morning is that it's cold. Although in the evening it's not hot, it's still less colder. But really I couldn't point out strong comparison why I would opt one for the other, so it's a weird case that I see people to have certain preferences. Some like in the evening while there are equally some who like in the morning.

2. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    A good run in the morning used to set me up for the rest of the day, I live in London so running in the evening is rather dangerous due to the amount of people trying to get home from work, plus because there are so many people I would have to keep stopping and starting. My favourite place to run used to be along the local canal, but there are so many cyclists speeding up and down it these days that I can't even walk along it anymore.

3. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    I don't run, but I like to cycle in the morning if at all possible. Getting the heart rate up and the blood flowing gets me ready for the day. I am often a bit sluggish (ok a lot sluggish) if I don't get some exercise in the morning. This works well for me as I work later in the day and have the time free in the mornings and not so much time in the evenings.

I would say that the better choice is the one that gets you out more often. If you don't have the time in the morning but want to burn off a little steam in the evening then that is better for you. I don't think there is a health benefit by choosing one over the other so it is more of a personal preference. As the ads say "Just do it!"

4. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    I like workout out most of the time in the evening. I don't think I could ever be that person who gets up at 5:30 and goes for a long run before work or class. I feel a lot more comfortable running after my day is over and can get better workouts going during the night.

For most people, I imagine they run whenever they have the time to do so. Some people might only be able to run in the morning and some people might only be able to run at night.

5. davbopol13

davbopol13Active Member

Threads:
    I guess I prefer the morning due to the fact that it gives me energy for the day. But if I don't get up early enough I can't go cause it is too hot! I' m looking for a place with more shade, cause I had a lightheaded feeling the last time I got too hot!

6. dustysmommy2013

dustysmommy2013Active Member

Threads:
    I'm not a big fan of running but I do like to take walks with my son. I've toyed with going on walks in the morning but I tend to prefer the evening time. If I go in the morning, I just think about all the things I still have to do. "Can I get done with my walk before he needs a nap?" ...."Can we get back before it really starts heating up?" At the end of the day, I'm a lot more relaxed because I have either accomplished what I wanted to or put it off for the next day. Also, when the sun starts going down, I don't have to worry as much (I'm not saying I don't. The weather is always a factor in Kansas) about whether its going to get too hot before we can finish our walk.

7. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I love doing all of my workouts in the morning. I'm so busy throughout the day that by evening time I am exhausted. So morning workouts are my preference as it gives me energy. I always feel great after a good exercise session. I love to run around the track near my home. If I can't get to the track then I'll opt for the treadmill at my local gym.

8. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends when you have free time and where you live. For me jogging in the morning would demand getting up at around 5:00 but I hate getting up that early so it's out of question for me. In the evening, if I want to take my puppies for some exercise, I could jog a mile or two not because I need it but because the little beasties need to enjoy themselves.

9. moorecoby

moorecobyNew Member

Threads:
    i agree with you man, i live in london as well and its not pretty trying to do a run during rush hours or when people coming home from work. early morning runs are the way to go in london but not all the time its possible.

10. maxparker0

maxparker0Member

Threads:
    Like many others here, I too prefer running in the morning over evening. It refreshes me and kickstarts my day and the morning breeze feels awesome. :) Besides, a run in the morning energizes me and fills in a lot of positivity inside me.

11. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I find running in the evening more enjoyable and worry-free since it's the end of the day so I don't have to think so much and just focus on enjoying my run. Also, I get to run with my husband If I run at night (it's his only time to run) so I feel more safe. :)

12. pfaemaster

pfaemasterMember

Threads:
    Clinically proven that running on an empty stomach in the morning has the greatest metabolic response relative to running at other times in the day. Your body's glycogen stores will be low at this time, so your body will be inclined to turn to fat for most of its energy (unfortunately protein as well if you do too much)

13. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would say run when you have the time and when you feel like it. I personally feel a little slow and sluggish in the morning to go running. I much prefer to go to the nearest swimming pool and swim a few rounds before I start with my work. I don't really like running all that much. I rather go for a brisk walk at any time of the day.