When is it too cheap?

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by wwalford • Dec 20, 2013.

1. wwalford

wwalfordNew Member

Threads:
    So I sit with the conundrum of when is it too cheap. You have a budget for Christmas presents and must now decide who to buy for. You know you will see a certain number of people on Christmas but if you buy all of them presents they will each be getting a chocolate . So instead you need to decide on who you buy for so you can decide on a decent budget per person.

So the question stands when does it become to cheap , when should you get over it and just not buy someone something for Christmas because the present is too cheap it is an insult ?

2. Kaylah

KaylahActive Member

Threads:
    Uh, well, honestly, I am only celebrating Christmas with my boyfriend this year, so nothing I get him this year will be too cheap. But to answer your question, I don't think a gift is ever too cheap, unless you give them something that looks really used. It is the thought that counts, so I am sure they will be happy with whatever you give them. When I was a young teenager, I would actually shop at Dollar Tree for Christmas presents because I didn't have much money to spend, but I still wanted to get my family each a gift for Christmas. I wouldn't do that now, because I am older and actually have an income now, but I really don't think it matters what you get people. They will be happy no matter what.

3. SpringBreeze

SpringBreezeActive Member

Threads:
    Like Kaylah said, it's the thought that counts. What is important is that the present doesn't look used or damaged because that would look inconsiderate as well as cheap.

Here are some tips that can help you save on gifting this season:

1. Give gifts only to people who have given gifts to you the past few years or who will give you a gift this year. Otherwise, you're going to have some awkward moments. This, of course, is not a set rule. There are some people you should always give gifts to like your parents even if they no longer give you gifts.

2. If you give gifts to kids, you don't have to give gifts to their parents. That works the other way too. If you give a gift to the parents, you don't have to give gifts to their kids.

3. Also you can just give one gift to each family -- a family gift. Just make sure it's something the majority of them will like. Like a family movie in a gift bag with candy cane and chocolates as fillers.

4. Save on wrapping. Find inexpensive ways to wrap. This will leave you with more money to spend.

4. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    If you are struggling financially, you should limit your Christmas list to close friends and family. Other people, they can get a nice card with a candy cane attached to the outside.

I would refrain from giving gifts that are ridiculously cheap just so you give something. It's just as bad as racking up a high credit card bill to impress someone who later won't even remember what you gave him or her.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that if the gift is under $5, then I think that it is too cheap and you should be better off not giving that person anything. I think you should only give gifts if you are close to that person, and you can just leave out casual acquaintances just like what the other member said. You can also try just giving food with a card on it as a Christmas gift to be able to save money, I think pastries are the best food to give though, because fruitcakes are overused already.

6. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree with sidney, under $5 it is too cheap and it's better not to give. With the crisis in my country we don't give any gifts to grown ups in my family for Christmas (well, except to my wife and parents), just to the kids, it's a decision based on our lack of money!

7. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It really depends on what kind of stores you have nearby. My local dollar store had some real leather belts for teens with British flags on them for $2.99 and some fashion jewelry from Target with angel wings, keys and crowns marked down to $1.69. I gave some to my daughter and a couple of her friends. If you can find something cool looking for under $5, by all means give it as a gift.

8. Jrh2

Jrh2Member

Threads:
    I don't think any gift is too cheap as it is the thought that counts. I have people in my family I have to buy christmas presents for but they don't appreciate them as they buy whatever they want when they want them. To save money on them at Christmas I bought there Christmas presents in the January sales. It was good for me because there was 80% off and it is good for them as they get a decent looking present and I only paid a couple of pounds on it. Unfortunately, I now have to store them for twelve months, the only downside though.