When Shopping For Clothes . . .

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Denis Hard • Aug 24, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Don't buy only what you feel is trendy, will good look on you and so on. It would save you a little bit of money if you bought clothes that will integrate well with accessories you already have. Fail to do that, you may be forced to buy matching accessories that you'll use only occasionally which IMHO is a waste of money.

2. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sometimes I love something so much I just have to have it, whether there's anything to go with it in my closet or not. But generally speaking, I do know exactly what my new stuff will go with in my closet, accessories included. I also don't tend to go for just trendy clothes, I much prefer classic cuts that will transcend time. A good blazer that will see me through a few years is worth more to me than a fashion item that I'll only have to blink before it's so last season.

3. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    For accessories, I only have a basic watch, silver bracelet and necklace. I also have a few earrings. That is it. So when shopping for clothes, it is very easy to remember what accessories I have. They are also quite easy to mix and match with any clothing item. I think having the classics is a good way of saving money as they are investments for the long run.

4. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Totally agree and in fact - apart from always buying things that do suit and fit me well - something I've been doing for years.

I would also just add that - having a preference for quality over quantity along with a stylish but classic taste - also contributes hugely too. As not only does it save a great deal more money but has many benefits too - as with a closet full of clothes and accessories that can be mixed and matched as well as dressed up or down to suit every occasion - it means that you never have to worry about what to wear - wherever you are going and of course being good quality - they don't need replacing too often either - which to me is a win win situation all round.

5. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I try to buy clothes that are going to be in style for at least a few seasons, or are classic pieces that never go out of style. I wear my clothes for years at a time so quality is much more important than wearing the latest styles. When. You are shopping for 4 people, you have to make your dollars stretch.

6. tasxx

tasxxMember

Threads:
    I totally agree Denis. I try to have a lot of basics in my closet and then I can go out and buy the more unique pieces that won't get nearly as many wears. I find that I'm still able to dress how I want but I'm not wasting money and space in my closet with things I won't even wear at all.

7. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I sometimes buy clothes on impulse. When I am in the mall or just passing by a boutique shop and there's something that catches my eyes, I check it out. And when it looks good on me then why hesitate? We only live once, hahahaaa. But seriously, I have worked hard to earn my own money so I don't see anything wrong in pampering myself with nice clothes.

8. MarriedGirl15

MarriedGirl15Member

Threads:
    I tend to buy clothes that would look good on me, and also that will help me save money. I don't consider myself a trendy person, I buy what I like and what I can afford. You don't have to spend a lot of money to look good and feel good.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Agreed. It's a common tip that's brought up in fashion oriented reality shows I watch because it's just practical to buy clothes with your existing wardrobe in mind. There are probably items that won't match but will make you obsess over it and I think that's fine to indulge once in a while but for the most part I think it's best to just build on what you have instead of starting from scratch each time.

10. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I totally agree. I still have a some classic pieces of clothing, blazer, dress pants, black dress that are over 10 years old. They are still in fabulous condition and I can dress them up or down depending on what accessories or shoes I choose. Buying good quality clothes that are a classic style will save money in the long run.

11. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    I'm one of those people that like clothes for how they may look on me. The price of it is always the second thing on my mind. The other big thing is that if I simply like the clothes then I will purchase it.

12. MikeyPaine

MikeyPaineActive Member

Threads:
    As a younger man, trends don't really change enough for me to buy anything "trendy", at least as far as I can tell!

Personally, I stay very basic, but I might spend a little more than the average person, since I'll wear whatever I'm buying. Especially when it comes to things like jeans, I'll shell out 50 or 60 dollars for a really nice pair of Levi's. Sometimes more!