When Shopping Online, Do You Use A Computer Or Mobile/tablet More?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Diane Lane • Aug 3, 2015.

1. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It always depends on what gadget is available to me. I have used a pc and a phone to pay online, and it was ok if I am buying on Ebay. However, in some sites like Fiverr, I can't check out using my phone, so I must use a pc to complete the transaction.

2. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Even when my desktop or laptop aren't readily available to me, I will wait until they are, as past experiences with trying to shop online, and make transactions go through on my smartphone or a tablet, have not always been too great. So to avoid all of that, I just wait until I am at my laptop.

3. Snakevenom

SnakevenomNew Member

Threads:
    Computer, with mobiles I have often repeat purchased because the browser has auto-refreshed and not asked me first. It's a giant pain to cancel it. My laptop is more reliable so I prefer to use that.

4. joshc428

joshc428Active Member

Threads:
    Computer. Many online shopping retailers don't offer a mobile - friendly version. Even if they do, it's very hard to navigate. What if I'm comparing 2 products? Switching tabs on a phone browser is much more tedious than on a computer. It's a also a bit of a pain when the phone browser refreshes automatically when you leave the tab.

5. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I just started shopping online and always on my desktop since that is the only device I have to do so. Although I have thought about using them I wouldn't feel comfortable with a laptop or smartphone for an online purchase. Some of the other posts have mentioned some of my concerns (slip of finger, crashing, etc.) Not a chance when it comes to my money.

6. paultrump1

paultrump1Member

Threads:
    Of course mobile for now

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I use a tablet to browse from time to time but I'm much more comfortable shopping from a laptop because I'm much more used to being able to switch between windows and tabs more freely so I'm more able to compare and take down notes. Bookmarks are also much easier to manage and check on a laptop even though the feature is available on mobile because mobile browsers often refresh the pages you're not actively viewing which can be kind of annoying when you are setting certain options in between researching on other tabs.

8. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I still like using my desktop, this way I am not as tempted to buy things online all the time. The convenience of using a tablet anywhere make online shopping too easy. When I'm forced to go to the desktop then I am purposely shopping online not shopping to kill time. I like the way you can fill in forms on a desktop easier. My husband gets very frustrated when ordering online with the forms and the lack of ability to enter information easily.

9. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer to use my computer when shopping online. It is a little bit more easier for me to browse around and check up on deals. When I try to do it on my phone I feel really restricted and the process takes a longer time.

10. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I appreciate the influence that mobile devices are having overall on web design, forcing designers to simplify the whole layout and make things incredibly user friendly that even a person on a small phone can place an order successfully. That said, I still prefer to do all my shopping on a desktop. My desktop screen is exponentially larger than my phone or tablet or even my laptop, so I can really enjoy the luxury of zooming in and seeing items in far greater detail.

Something else to consider is that often, in the process of making a site or a page "mobile friendly" and/or "responsive" it may also result in the web designer trimming out some features of the site that don't translate well on to mobile devices - functionality such as Live Chat for example. They may also trim out sections of the layout such as related items, additional product details, and more. At least when you are on a desktop you know you are seeing the full site, and not a trimmed down version of it.

11. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never ever ever ever use my phone for shopping. The screens are small and make almost everything inconvenient and I have no clue about the security on those things. I find everything quicker and more efficient on the laptop. Oh.. and typing on a touch screen has got to be the dumbest thing since... something really dumb. I thought things were supposed to get easier and faster lol. I used to speed type on my cell like a crazy person... now I'm all tap tap ..tap tap... tap taptap

12. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @JosieP@JosieP I really miss the slide out keyboard on my smart phone I used to have. It was in addition to the touch screen, which I appreciate having, but I do make more typos on the touch screen. I switched from an Apple device to a Samsung device recently, and I'm still not used to this touch screen. I'm constantly having to correct mistakes, so I won't be ordering much from this tablet until I get that under control.

13. AutumnFall

AutumnFallMember

Threads:
    I mainly use my computer to do my online shopping. Sometimes, I use my smartphone but that's only if the website can function properly and not slow down my phone. I just find it more easier to shop online with my computer because I can have multiple tabs open with stores I'm interested in and I have bigger screen to see products more clearer. All my online purchases are also done on my computer.

14. teabwoi

teabwoiActive Member

Threads:
    Too me it does not really matter. I just like to go on and get what I need when I need it. I spend most of my time shopping on my Ipad thought. I just like to use it because it is so much smoother for me. After that I just stick with the desktop computer or my laptop. For me it is just a matter of convenience in the moment.

15. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I miss mine too! I had a Blackberry.. the qwerty slid out and it had a touch as well. I used the touch for going screen to screen, making selections etc, but typing was always on the keypad, I loved it. There's no way I could shop on my Android.. I can't even stand regular browsing on a cell lol.

16. Yosh

YoshActive Member

Threads:
    I always use my desktop computer when making any form of online purchase. It's all in my head, but it just feels a lot more secure than using a phone or tablet.

17. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    Well I have no preference really, it depends on what's on my hands at the moment. I personally like shopping online using a computer though, makes it easier to input your info when your making your payments using a physical keyboard rather than a touch keyboard. Also pages loads faster in a computer compared to tablets for some reason.

18. Harlek

HarlekMember

Threads:
    Desktop as always. I don't have a tablet and I'm not planning on buying one and besides, loading online shops on a computer is faster and you don't need to have any dedicated app to browse through each online shop like what they have on mobile devices, of course you can do online shopping using the native mobile browser but every now and then you get that little pop up telling you to 'Please download the app!'

19. karamara

karamaraMember

Threads:
    I'm always using my tablet for internet browsing so it pretty much goes the same for online shopping since I already have it on my hands. The only thing I hate about having to shop online using a tablet is how atrocious the keyboard is. No matter how good the touch screen technology is, it's still somehow can't perfect the keyboard thing.

Also some online shops offer discounts when you're using your mobile device so that's a pretty cool thing too.

20. CleyoPatra

CleyoPatraNew Member

Threads:
    I have a tablet, a smartphone and a laptop but I prefer shopping online on my laptop. Personally, it feels as though I am prone to making more errors on my phone and tablet than my laptop. Additionally, my laptop would give more view of items whilst the phone and tablet makes it smaller.