When should i cut down my rose plants?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by deviddiya • Jun 3, 2012.

1. deviddiya

deviddiyaNew Member

Threads:
    I live in San Francisco, CA and I read somewhere that rose plants should be cut down once a year. My question is when? How much should I cut too? Thank you.

#1Jun 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  2. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I live in the Pacific Northwest so in the fall I put mulch around the base. This prepares them for the winter. Then in the spring, I cut them way back. I am thinking that the best time to do it would be in the spring before any new growth begins.

3. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You can cut back the rose in the fall just before the first cold night or wait or wait untill spring and cut them back before they start to sprout new leafs. I cut them back to where they start to branch out, helps to keep the plant healthy.

4. Jennifer

JenniferActive Member

Threads:
    I live in South Africa and we usually have our roses cut back between late June and August which are normally our winter months. I have noticed the garden service which we use to do the pruning, apply a blue solution to the ends of the branches when they are finished. Apparently this protects the rose bushes from potential diseases. I am not sure what they use but your garden centre should be able to tell you.