When Should You Upgrade Your Software?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by Damsko • Aug 26, 2017.

1. Damsko

DamskoNew Member

Threads:
    I have always thought it’s better to wait for up to three months or more before upgrading the software I’m currently using. Besides, I also like keeping an eye on the upgraded version to see what issues those who have installed the upgrade are facing. That helps me make a decision on whether I should do an upgrade or not.

What about you? How long do you have to wait?

2. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    You should update after you see the reaction of people who installed the update. So you won't end up installing a bad update. Don't be in a hurry to have an update. See people's reaction about it first. I saved my self from installing the awful windows 8.

3. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    I believe people should upgrade to the security update as it comes. If the update are cosmetic then you have to wait to make sure that they are not breaking anything. In such case you can clearly see how the software upgrade can be helpful in many ways. You just have to make sure that you are not updating and things which were working are starting to break now.

4. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My rule on computers, whether hardware or software, is to stay put until it cannot serve its purpose anymore. Take for example the MS Word which I use for typing a document. It is an old version that is in my computer but it's working well for me and I don't seem to need the new functions of the newer versions so I am sticking it out with the old one. I feel stupid to install a new version when the old one is still doing a good service. Don't forget that the software license is not free.

5. Punkin

PunkinMember

Threads:
    I think a lot of this conversation depends on the vendor itself. It's very sad that so many people are relying on major vendors who are transitioning to an anti-consumerist "service" model instead of using open-source alternatives. What's even sadder is that these free to use open-source software suites are frequently more reliable and more feature-complete than the supposed premium brands! Libre Office far out-competes Microsoft Office and Word in almost every way, while giving you full control of the software on your computer. Best of all, they usually host a generous back log of versions so if you update to something that is broken you can easily revert.

Using as much open-source software as possible, I upgrade with utter impunity as soon as new versions are available. While I do have more options to revert if I need, I have found that thanks to the business ethics of this model, I basically never have to.

6. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    I usually upgrade my software at least once a week but it really depends on your computer and the type of software you are running on it. When it comes to updating my computer usually takes care of things when it gives me the option to update whenever I am about to shut down. I think for safety reasons updating at least once I month would be a bit more ideal.

7. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    I upgrade my software whenever possible because one good way to save money to simply keep an old thing going. For instance, it's possible to keep a computer in top condition for at least 6 years or more and certain vehicles can last at least 20 years or more. In fact, I'm not really sure when computers and cars get to a point where it's a lost cause. Any idea?

8. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think that it is always necessary to upgrade one's software. If the current software is working right for me, I don't feel the need to upgrade to the latest version. I'm still using MS Office 2007 and it's still serving me well. I'm not quite sure what Microsoft meant when they announced that they are stopping support for this version this year but I'm not too excited to buy the latest version as it's not really cheap. I will also have to consider if my laptop's specs can handle newer versions as I'm only using a basic laptop. Upgrading to Windows 10 was free but I didn't feel that I wanted to go with the crowd so I got stuck with Windows 8.1 which is just fine. When it comes to anti-virus programs, however, it's important to always get the updated version for protection.

9. DavidLee

DavidLeeMember

Threads:
    I often upgrade to the latest software version immediately the PC or Google Playstore notifies me of a new version. It's safe and efficiency by upgrading to the latest version in-time because the developers themselves believe/have fixed the previous problems/ vulnerabilities that had or was facing the older software version. I don't prefer waiting while something better is out there especially when it's free/available.

10. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    It seems like anymore the applications more or less just decide it for you, which is kind of annoying but convenient too, at times. I guess I am still not really sure if I like that or not, but either way it is quicker than I would do it on my own.

11. serbog

serbogMember

Threads:
    I personally upgrade the software everytime there is a new upgrade. I don't like having out-dated stuff. But if the new upgrade is that bad I usually revert to the old one or wait for a fix to come out (which usually does).

12. mbuzma

mbuzmaActive Member

Threads:
    For computers, it is when they stop being sufficient for whatever your primary use is for them. If you're primarily a gamer, a 10 years old computer simply won't cut it for playing the latest games.
    As far as vehicles are concerned, it's when they get so old that you constantly have to buy new parts/repair them. At that point, it is better to buy a newer vehicle than keep sinking money on the old one.