When Shouldn't You Buy Generic?

Discussion in Shopping Discussion started by Denis Hard • Oct 29, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are times when buying generic is always the better option especially when you are certain that the quality of the items you are buying is almost as high as the pricier brand name alternatives. But there are times when buying generic might not be a great choice.

Where do you draw the line?

2. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    Definitely on medicine. If I'm sick due to something that's fairly common like the flu or a simple common cold, I might opt in for a generic tablet. However when we're talking about supplements to skin allergies, and diabetes medication, then I will always buy the brand recommended by my doctor no questions asked.

3. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My sister is a nurse and she sometimes gives me a prescription for a generic drug. (Before anyone would ask about that prescription, my sister's husband is a physician who writes the prescription). Anyway, she said that generic drug is good for mild ailments but for serious problems like instestinal flu that had hit my husband, she prescribed me a branded drug. She has her reasons but I didn't ask.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Chocolate for me! There are very few generic chocolate bars that can pass my taste test, and ice cream cannot be generic. Taste and quality matters in such items to me, though Lidl and Aldi are doing a good job of competing with the other brands right now, and I am always willing to try new things. Lidl have an ice cream similar looking to Ben and Jerry's and it may well be as good.

5. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    There are and as quality and value for money are always my top priority when buying anything - some of the items that immediately spring to mind that I will generally only ever buy name brand are

Paint - better coverage - use less
    Batteries - more cost effective - last longer
    Paper Products - more durable, absorbent and thicker - use less
    Garbage Bags and Detergent - similar reasons to above
    Some food items and particularly coffee - better quality ingredients and flavor
    As well as many electrical and electronic goods

Simply because - for these items its false economy to buy generic and way more cost effective to stick with well known brand name products - as although initially a little more expensive - they generally work out more economical in the long run - particularly as they usually last longer and therefore don't need replacing as often.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Probably electronic items. I want them branded as possible. I have heard horror stories of cheap tablets and knock off cellphones being quite inferior in quality.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think you just find out about these things through trial and error. Also a good measure to use is to just buy branded if you think the quality of the item will matter to you a lot. Not that generic items can never turn out to be of quality but I guess this is the general rule of thumb. I'm okay with buying generic for items like plain shirts, socks, or paper towels, since the difference in quality isn't very noticeable and the price is usually significantly lower, but if it's an item that I know I have to depend on heavily I like electronics then I'd just go with branded items to be sure.

8. Pabmart

PabmartMember

Threads:
    Generics are alright to me, especially since they are way cheaper and they can do the job in the majority of the cases. I only stick to brands when I'm choosing an electronic device, and maybe specific food items that I really love and can't deal with the generics.

9. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    When it comes to groceries, I do not mind buying generic products, especially when it comes to pantry staples, such as flour, augar, baking soda, canned tomatoes, beans, rice, etc. I agree with @Theo@Theo, generic chocolate is usually not real chocolate. When looking at the package, it usually reads ' chocolate flavored' candy, which is not chocolate! I do not purchase generic dish soap, it simply does not work as well as Dawn dish soap, and I end up using more of it to get the job done. Also, most generic brands of toilet paper rolls do not last as long as the regular brand.