When to change tires

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by lindbergh • Jan 16, 2015.

1. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Hey there, I'd like to ask when I'm supposed to change tires. My tires are new. I just changed them last week. My problem is, I don't know when I should change tires. I don't know how to see whether a tire is already worn out or not. Is there a standard that could be used? Maybe change tires every X kilometers traveled or every X number of years whichever comes first?

Also, what do you do if your tire gets pierced by a nail? Do you have it vulcanized or do you simply change to a new tire?

2. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    You should look for wear on the tires and also the air pressure. Low air in the tires might be a sign there are holes in it. In that case, they have to be replaced, assuming you cannot use some tire fixing solution.

Anyhow, as with a lot of things, prevention would be a good attitude. You or someone else should check air pressure and one should take care, within reason, to avoid places where nails etc. might be around.

3. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    In all tire models there are "tread wear bars" which give a clue about the life of tire. You can see it as bridges across treads and when it starts disappearing you can assume that the tire is worn out and it needs replacement. When a tire is without those bars it will lost its grip on the road and cause accidents.

If you are on tubeless tires and a nil hits it you may not even know it as in tubeless tires air goes out only very slowly. In that case I would take it to a nearby shop and get it fixed. I don't think I will replace the tire as a whole if it's still in good condition.

4. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Our standard here for the life span of tires is 2 years of normal use if you have one car. We have 2 cars that we use alternately so it would be at least 5 years. However, you should regularly check the tire pressure and at the same time check the tread. If the tread is worn out then have it replaced. For a flat tire due to puncture, the vulcanizing shop can do the job for you.