When Traveling By Car, Do You Book Your Hotel Ahead Of Time?

Discussion in Travel started by junemoon • Apr 10, 2015.

1. junemoon

junemoonNew Member

Threads:
    When we travel by car, it can be difficult to determine how far of a distance we'll travel in a day. Sometimes, we see an an unexpected, unplanned attraction along our route and stop. If we had to make it so many miles in a set time frame, I think we would miss out on some memorable adventures.

I am wondering, do you think it is worth it to search for the best hotel deal in advance or pay a little extra for a hotel room because you did not book ahead?

Anyone have any tips on how to negotiate with a hotel to get the best room on the spur of the moment?

2. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    We don't book ahead because we don't know where we'll be. Towards the end of our driving day, we look up hotels in the next 50-100 miles and call ahead to them to check for rates and vacancies. We usually have a tent along so we also look for national or state parks with campgrounds. Dispersed camping might be free or the nightly fees might only be $8-10 for a tent site. We have two adult drivers if we don't have the RV with us so if we can't find a hotel or campground, we can switch off to let one sleep while the other drives. Or we can both catch a quick nap in the car at a rest area or walmart parking lot if we can't find a hotel or motel. We drove 6000 miles round trip in about 10 days last year in a civic with a tent. We had about half of the nights in a motel, one in the car, and the rest in state or national park campgrounds.

If we're traveling by RV, we don't book a campground either. We call ahead a few exits and see if they have open slots. If not, we just stop at a walmart or a rest area to sleep.

3. joyful728

joyful728Active Member

Threads:
    We have done both. I think it depends on the time of year (such as the 4th of July, Christmas) and where you'll be heading. I think if you are traveling during a very busy time, it is best to book the hotel, and plan your trip accordingly, to avoid running the risk of not being able to find a room. Some areas, such as Midland TX, are completely BOOKED all the time because of the oil field!!

Personally, when we travel on road trips, we try to leave early, then stop at 4 pm. This gives us enough time to rest, swim etc.

4. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    We always do. My husband and I hate to book for hotels on a whim (because we know we aren't getting the best price for it). We book a hotel, and even if we see something along the way that we like we will still stop but we won't stay as long. We'll look, hang around for a bit, and then get going.

Often times when we do stop though we'll make it a "sight-seeing-potty-break" combination so we don't have to stop again to use the bathroom. This KINDA makes up for lost time?

5. junemoon

junemoonNew Member

Threads:
    I agree, the risk of paying more increases. As a penny pitcher, this bothers me, yet I just like do to things at the spur of the moment. I suppose, I rationalize, stopping off to see the out of the way spots that are less expensive compared to the more expensive tourist destination saves me money in the long run.

Ha ha to the combined potty breaks and sight-seeing. Good tip on saving time. Besides, sometimes, I find some cheap, original souvenirs, at these stops!

Speaking of souvenirs, any ideas for some nice ones that are both thoughtful and reasonable priced?

6. roki123

roki123Active Member

Threads:
    I will not book a hotel ahead because I like to do things according to the spur of the moment. In that case, I will try to find a convenient place to stay otherwise to make compromises will be the other option.