When was the last time you had a garage sale?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Dora M • Jun 20, 2014.

1. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I live in an area where garage sales have almost become an institution. Some people, desperate for a bit of extra cash, have garage sales every day of the week here. Usually they wheel out clothes racks onto the side walk or have piles of clothes arranged on blankets. Most of these garage sales have got children's clothes, books, plants and bric a brac on offer. Occasionally you will find furniture and household items, but generally they tend to be very picked over, and you have To Be Fast if you want some quality bargain. I have held garage sales myself in the past, but only when I needed to get rid of certain things, such as my old trailer.
    How about you? Have you ever had a garage sale?

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I had one a few years ago.

I didn't have the sale with the intent of making a lot of money, though. I did it more to clear out my house and get rid of stuff. Everything that didn't sell, I just donated to a local place. It was nice to make some cash off items I had previously purchased and spent money on, but I don't see it as a regular money making tactic for me.

3. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    Although I love attending them I have yet to have my own, in the past I didn't consider doing it because there wasn't a call for it among the people who lived here, but now the area have been invaded by hipsters and posh arty types they would love these kinds of events so I might well think about it now. I did once have a little toy sale where we put a blanket down and placed our toys on it. :)

4. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I tried my hand at garage sales once and it didn't go so well. Since then I'm either giving to family/friends the things I don't need or I donate them. Most times, for smaller items at least, the money is too little to be worth the effort of organizing a sale. So in my opinion it's better to give them away for small favors or a handshake.

5. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I had one garage sale years ago when I was 11. I think I made like $75 and everything I didn't sell I donated. Oddly enough I wasn't looking to make money, I really just wanted to make up signs to post around the neighborhood for it, price everything and set it up on tables in my driveway. I guess I was bored or just a strange kid.