When was the last time you were stupid enough to stop by Toy'rus with a kid?

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by Esperahol • Oct 18, 2012.

1. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    I did this the past weekend and that is entirely my fault. I should have known better or at least been terminally high. As it was I am now somewhat shellshocked and I think I am going to need some time to get past this. I mean there were too many children and all of them were racing about screaming. The ones I had managed to switch places with some sort of evil dopplerganger that had no hometraining and a voice that slay Kratos. Then the little mongrels took to their Heels and the little one in my arms decided it wanted to heard as well. It was awful, and that is the last favor I do (for a while) for the traitorous "friend" who begged me to take them while she finished up the welcome home party for her husband. Oh, well. Oh, welll. Wow. So, anybody else or am I in a special level of stupidity? No one answer that question honestly. I have low self-esteem.

2. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    Yikes! That was a very brave move. I don't think my children ever entered that store with me. I just don't think I could handle it. I swear that is just a fate worse than death.

3. jleadbet

jleadbetActive Member

Threads:
    I did it once with one child and my husband was with me. I figured we'd be ok since we outnumbered the child two to one. That wasn't the case. We had a similar experience to what you described. Ours ended with my son throwing a huge tantrum, and we left quickly, trying to avoid eye contact. My son hasn't been back and probably never will be.

4. FirstBaby2011

FirstBaby2011Active Member

Threads:
    My toddler is getting to the age where she wants things and will put up a fight to keep them. I avoid the toy section at Wal-Mart at all costs to avoid the crazy tantrums. However, I know I cannot avoid it forever. Sorry you had a hard time!

5. zoeysmama2011

zoeysmama2011Active Member

Threads:
    I work at a Toys 'R' Us/ Babies "R" Us and for some odd reasons, parents do this ALL the time and I have no idea why. They always say, "oh, I just came in for diapers or a book" and then they leave with $300 worth of toys. Sometimes its utterly hilarious, but for the most part I feel their pain. There was one lady who had a 2 year old daughter having a fit because she couldn't get a Doc McStuffins doll and then she had 3 year old falling out on the floor because he couldn't get a piece of candy or Hot Wheels. Your not pathetic, that's generally the rule of thumb with kids and toy stores:you suffer. Honestly, if you really, truly have to go in a toys 'r' us with kids, grab them a balloon from customer service and a free crayon and booklet set and let them go crazy. They'll feel like they actually got something. Trust me, my daughter is only 13 months and I have already had the amazing pleasure of having her fall out in the Fisher Price aisle of Toys 'R' Us because I wouldn't get her a little tikes car. Jesus Christmas. :p

6. Mommyjoyce

MommyjoyceNew Member

Threads:
    one crazy experience

That really made me chuckle...LOL!

I can imagine feeling like you're in a pandemonium; being surrounded by excited little rascals and some of them are so agitated from being told to select only one toy (when there's a million they want!).

Having four kids myself whose age are not far from each other, going to a toy store is always a riot. Did that once and there was no second time. Taking kids there brings out the tantrums, temper and bad feelings.

I hope parents think twice before they follow your footsteps going there! ^___^

7. freemind_76

freemind_76Member

Threads:
    Going inside a toy store with a child is like sealing your doom!:rolleyes: I once had a similar experience with my daughter. It wasn't Toys 'R' Us but rather Toy Kingdom which is a very popular toy store in my country. She went straight to the area of branded toys and had to get her hands on every toy she sees.When she found the one she liked best, she didn't want to let go.

So, I had to think quickly of an excuse and get her out of there quickly. Fortunately, she listened to me when I suddenly said, "Oh, look there's Daddy! Let's go to him NOW!"

8. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    The first time I was in a Toys R Us, it was as an adult. I wanted the experience and I played with as many toys as I could, hehe.

I would never buy anything there, though. They're going to be super expensive compared to any other location.

9. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    This thread has put a smile on my face! I have four kids and I am so glad they are grown up now. It has been many, many years since I have had to deal with similar situations but I do remember them quite well. The closest Toys R Us is quite a long ways away and I have only been there once. The kids were still fairly young back then but we didn't have any problems. I let them each have $5 to spend and let them pick out one thing AND ONE THING ONLY. If they dared to throw a tantrum, they got nothing!

10. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    That's more brave than stupid, I'd say ;). It's been a while, for the very reasons you listed! Kids just seem to turn into crazy, monsterous little versions of themselves in that store. The words 'never again' come to mind from my last experience, ages ago.

11. LovelyLanie

LovelyLanieMember

Threads:
    I really like your style, dissn_it, which happens to be good old fashioned discipline. I raised my son the same way, and he knew that no meant N-O. The secret is to nip it in the bud when they are very young and not give in to those tantrums. When my kid was about 2 going on 3 years old, he pulled the public tantrum thing in the middle of a department store because he wanted a toy, which I can't even remember now. Anyway, instead of participating in the tantrum by trying to reason with a screaming child, I calmly pushed our shopping cart to the nearest department store worker, handed her the cart and said, "I'm sorry but I don't need these items, could you please put them away for me." Then we left the mall without even a piece of candy, toy or french fry. He never did it again, ever. It was worth the sacrifice of putting back the household items I needed.

12. Susie

SusieNew Member

Threads:
    I haven't taken a child to a toy store in a while for the same reasons that most of you have stated. Unfortunately I must not have been thinking clearly one day not too long ago. I took some kids that I was taking care of to a book store with the understanding that we were only there to look around. It wasn't quite as bad as the toy store scenario's you have all mentioned, but it did lead to one of the children crying over a pink cookbook that the child was too young to use anyways. Many other items were requested on our way out of the store.

13. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    I just laughed out loud when I read the title of this posting.

My fiancee and I went to a local Toys R Us a couple of weeks ago to check out gifts for her nephew and niece. One kid started to cry because he wanted a ball. "I want my ball!!!!!" The grandmother was obviously embarrassed, but kids will be kids (some will be better behaved than others of course).

What's funny is that if the kid got the ball he just would have put it aside a couple of days later!

14. Libragirl67

Libragirl67Active Member

Threads:
    In the eyes of a child this store is a piece of heaven. Look at it from their point of view. This is a wonderland of toys and shiny objects. Ofcoarse any kid will lose his marbles in these stores. It is like going into Chucky Cheeses only with a million more toys.

I took my boys to Toys R Us when they were little. And I did promise them one toy each. Ofcoarse they went wild and where going from aisle to aisle just amazed at everything. I could here them just laughing. And trying to test ot every toy. Then it happened, they both went down a certain aisle and they stopped looked and ran away from it. It was the neon pink barbie aisle. Pink everywhere, barbie dolls, clothes, Barbie penthouse and the works. They acted like they just saw a big black bear or something. It was hillarious, and I will never forget that.

15. APluckeyduck

APluckeyduckMember

Threads:
    I feel for you, thankfully my babysitting days are fast behind me, but when my rugrats were mere tadpoles they knew better than to throw a taantrum over anything. I've never had an experience, such as yours, but I have witnessed a young child fall out in the doorway of Kmart because mom took away the bag of chips the child had picked up on the way out. That nerve curdling scream could be heard throughout the store. I felt so bad for the parent as the child was preventing shoppers from leaving the store. Poor baby just looked like he was having some kind of meltdown. I almost wanted to buy the bag of chips for myself, maybe he knew something we didn't. Maybe this chips were awesome!

16. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    Ah, it has been many years since I went into a toy shop of any kind. All my children are already grown up and many of them have their own children, too. No, I haven't taken any of my grandchildren to a toy shop either. I do have some vague memories of the scenarios mentioned in the OP. Kids I meet nowadays don't seem to think that going to a toy shop is a big deal. They would rather shop online for their games.

17. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    Well, it is good to know I'm not the only one to have ever done this. Also I now have a deep, dark aversion to Chucky Cheese... "Please it's for their birthday!" Never, ever, ever again.

18. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    I have to say that I am pretty lucky with my kids when it comes to behavior in a toy store. I don't usually take them, but I do occasionally take them to pick out one toy each if they have money from a holiday or special occasion. They don't act out when we are there and it may take some time to pick out just one toy, but they do it without a fit.

We go next door to Toys R Us every time we go food shopping (literally it is the next door down from our grocery store) and impressively they don't usually ask to go to Toys R Us when we go food shopping. I have seen people having issues with their kids in the store tho on many occasions! My kids act up more in the grocery store then they do in the toy store - yeah explain that one because I can't :confused:

19. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    About five years ago when I was in England. It was fun because I was with my five year old niece, I live in the Republic Of Ireland and most of my family live in England, so it was fun going round Toys R Us with her and buying her as many toys as I could :).

20. KC Evans

KC EvansMember

Threads:

OMG! Your friend definitely set you up,lol. You probably went back with bald spots from pulling your hair out. My youngest is 6 and I refuse to take her anywhere that sells toys etc. unless buying her a toy was the intention. There has been a few times she has tapped danced and break danced on the floor all because she wanted something I wouldn't buy. Glad you made it out of that situation in one piece. These little kids are vicious, lol.