When Water Becomes An Extremely Scarce Commodity

Discussion in Water started by explorerx7 • Jul 12, 2016.

1. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    It seems that we are heading towards a situation where water will become so scarce that water storage may have to become highly secure institutions. My thinking may seem far fetched, however, there are emerging signs that water could eventually a scarce and highly sought after commodity in the future. We see where water sources have been diminishing across the globe, take for instance the water crisis in California where a vast amount of water sources have dried up. Do you think that there is merit in my believing that we will somewhere in the future experience a worldwide water availability crisis?

2. djdontpay

djdontpayActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think water itself will become a scarce commodity. However, a large portion of the northern hemisphere, especially the part between the tropics will have a hard time as the planet heats up. Any non-perennial water bodies will remain dry longer every year, which means the world would need better water management. I mean annual droughts are already becoming a thing in much of the tropics, and it will only get worse. I am more worried about the quality of water than the availability of water itself.

3. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Water is becoming an increasingly scarce commodity due to water abstraction by huge multinationals like Coca Cola as well as contamination of groundwater through human activities. In some places, the water level is receding and there is competition for water sources between individuals, communities and even nations. The problem is not scarcity, rather its distribution of water because 70% of the earth's surface is covered by water.

4. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    Not really, with the adoption of seawater desalination plants and modern tap water cycle, that is nowadays a treatable solution. What I'm sure is that some regions due to lack of infrastructure and development, water is a commodity that is hard to come by. But I think It does have a solution because of implementation of innovative technology and efficient resource management.

5. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    ell I am not sure about everyone else, but I have been hearing for some time about water will one day be a scarce resource, and that it will not last forever. IT is common sense, after all, but of course people do not really think of it if it does not affect them in anyway. People are already fighting wars over it, so I can imagine that we will only be seeing this sort of circumstance more in the near future.

6. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We had a drought earlier this year and one problem with that is obviously the water shortage. The water provider would cut the water supply before midnight and resume service by 5am although they don't do that rationing every day. It's a good thing that we have drums and plastic containers for that purpose. A neighbor had advised us to collect rainwater to augment our water needs. All right, that's a good idea. But we were in a drought period so how can we get rain? Sometimes people are funny when they are in a panic mode.

7. Casiox

CasioxActive Member

Threads:
    Well, that's what we're currently living worldwide. My country passed through a scarce situation months ago where we had to wait for the rain to come by to solve the problem, otherwise, we were going to run out of energy and water at the same time. People do not really care about saving such vital resource, we have to get used to taking care of the most important resources such as water, electricity and whatnot.

8. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Many experts have already predicted a water shortage in the next few decades but it seems that the impact of climate change isn't really predictable. Besides, water is a recyclable resource. Meaning, it runs out for a time before it replenishes. And if the rate of use is much faster than the time it takes to regenerate clean, potable water, massive shortage is very likely. However, if people find more ways to recycle water like that recently invented machine capable of turning air humidity into liquid, maybe this shortage prediction shouldn't be a cause for concern.

9. abonnen

abonnenActive Member

Threads:
    I think that it could become scarce, I have to say though this year we have more rain then I ever remember, we usually have droughts all summer but this year is has been raining since spring, its raining right now...I think fresh water is wasted so much and its sad, like why do our toilets have to use fresh water to me that is wasteful!