Where do you buy crafting materials?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by lavenderblue • Mar 5, 2014.

1. lavenderblue

lavenderblueMember

Threads:
    Usually I would just go to Jo Ann Fabrics or Hobby Lobby in town but are there any great, specialized online dealers that I should try? I'd imagine the savings would be greater. Crafter opinions wanted ;)

2. amynichole318

amynichole318Active Member

Threads:
    ETSY now allows people to sell craft supplies. I love supporting that site and the people that make and sell there crafts there. Most of the sellers have great craft items and good quality and it's simple to find what you are looking for. They are really friendly, you can ask the seller any questions you have about the items and they are more than happy to help.

3. emilyrose93

emilyrose93Member

Threads:
    Etsy is a great recommendation! Here is the direct link to their craft supplies section:

One thing that is really fun about buying supplies from Etsy is often the sellers will have vintage/antique fabric, buttons, etc, so you can get something really different.
    I buy cross-stitch patterns on Etsy a lot. I have bought some great ones from "PixyStitches" and "WeeLittleStitches".

Some other sites to look at are:

Lots of variety, reasonable prices. Similar to Hobby Lobby.

Lots of variety and low prices!

You could also look on Amazon or eBay, but the quality of the products might be a bit more questionable.

4. lavenderblue

lavenderblueMember

Threads:
    Thank you both for the recommendations, leaning toward Etsy. I had no idea they sold materials, I thought they only sold finished crafts.

Thanks for more links, ACMoore looks like a very professional retailer. Createforless seems like they'd have good almost wholesale deals. The free shipping (though $100 is a lot as a minimum) is a big draw. Lots of searching to do now. :D I'm usually interested in scrapbooking but now I'm leaning toward sewing, already finding some interesting stuff.

5. cookiemonsterv16

cookiemonsterv16Member

Threads:
    I Love going to Hobby Lobby or Michaels to purchase crafting materials or even just to look around and see what else I can buy. I can always rely on both stores to have what I need. My mom went there the other day because she needed to make a cover for a photo album and thankfully she was able to find what she needed there. The only bad thing is the Michaels we had here where I lived closed a few years ago so now we only have Hobby Lobby to rely on, there is another Michaels but its not as close as it was before it would take about an 1 or more to drive there so we just go to Hobby Lobby now.

6. lavenderblue

lavenderblueMember

Threads:
    Hm, I've never heard of Michaels before I'm going to have to check if there are any in my area. I've been to Hobby Lobby a lot. They seem to have cheaper materials but the wide selection makes that easier to deal with. Glad you still have a crafting place in the area to go to, hopefully Hobby Lobby continues to flourish over there and maybe no places will open up. I really like Jo-Ann Fabrics but they're kind of a small store.

7. cookiemonsterv16

cookiemonsterv16Member

Threads:
    I really hope you are able to find a Michaels close by so you can see it for yourself I am sure you would like it. Having two craft stores was really great because if Hobby Lobby didn't have what I needed or wanted I could go to Michaels that was only a 2 minute drive from Hobby Lobby so I think that's why Michaels closed because of the competition and obviously Hobby Lobby won because they are still there. Now we have to drive and hour or more just to go to Michaels, its actually been a long while since I've been there and I really do wish they would rebuild it again because it really did come in handy to have it near by. Unfortunately, we don't have a store like Jo-Ann Fabrics that sells just fabrics, wish they did though because my mom is really into using fabrics to make covers for photo albums and she does a lot using fabrics so even though we do have a small selection of fabrics in Hobby Lobby and Wal-mart it would be even better to find a store that has a bigger selection.

8. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrakeActive Member

Threads:
    For many years I ran a craft business and bought supplies from Tandy and a chain which was associated with them that seems to no longer be in business. I have been out of that type of business for over 20 years and am out of touch, so old hippie craftsmen seem to be out of luck. Not so cool.

9. costin

costinActive Member

Threads:
    In my town I can only choose between two local stores, which aren`t very equipped, but it`s minimal. If I wish for something more, I have to order online and wait up to a week to start working

10. lavenderblue

lavenderblueMember

Threads:
    Thanks! I've since looked up a Michaels store in my area and the nearest one is an hour away unfortunately, but the next time I go in that general vicinity I'm going to try to visit that store. :D You brought up something interesting, about how very similar stores will open up right next to each other and one eventually goes out of business. I really don't understand why businesses do this, it makes zero sense to me. The same sort of thing happens in my area, competing restaurants side-by-side, computer repair shops side-by-side. I can sort of understand the logic but it seems entirely too risky and it would make more sense on the whole to just open up in a place where there aren't as many competing shops available.