Where Do You Buy Your Groceries?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by hayrake • Dec 26, 2014.

1. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Before Walmart went super, I used to nearly always buy my groceries at the smaller discount stores (Food Lion, Food Depot...) rather than from the larger places like Kroger, Publix, etc. Now, for some reason, I might leave Walmart and end up going to two or three more different stores (including the larger stores I didn't used to enter) picking up grocery items before I'm done.

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Depending on where I am going, in New England I tend to shop in Market Basket, Shaw's and Stop and Shop. I also pick up basics at Dollar Tree( frozen veggies, tortillas, jars of sauces and spices) and Target (they do good generic wholewheat pasta). If a friend is going to Trader Joe's I will go along and pick up a few things, but it's expensive for a full shop. I also get the emails for the local specials so that helps me decide.

3. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I buy most of my food direct from the people who grow it or from a grocery store that is known for selling a lot of local stuff. Once winter hits though, the selection is smaller and I wish I lived somewhere warm year round, for the food alone lol. So then I'm forced to shop in a grocery store if I want out of season foods.. which most are in Canada lol. Frozen foods are my friend at that point, but there are some things in the produce section I'll buy because I miss it and don't prefer it frozen.

4. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    There was a Market Basket in Memphis, TN. I remember being with my grandmother and shopping there many, many times when I was just a girl. I have a feeling, though, that it might not be the same Market Basket you are speaking of. The Market Basket in Memphis was all fresh produce and locally made products--like a farmer's market.

5. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Most of my grocery shopping is done at Winco and Walmart stores. Winco usually has the best prices for large grocery store sellers, and I like supporting this business because their main business model is to care for their employees and customers. I go to Walmart due to the fact that I live a walking distance from one, which makes it more convenient for me to shop when I need something in a short amount of time. More over, depending on what dish I'm preparing, I may drive to other types of grocery stores that sell foods that neither Winco and Walmart do not carry.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I live in a small town. In an agricultural zone. So there are many Ma and Pa stores here that sell groceries. Since I'm all for supporting local businesses, I'll always buy from these small grocery stores. If I'm traveling elsewhere that's when I might think about getting my groceries from a bigger store.

And oh . . . I was forgetting the farmers markets. When I can, I get my groceries from them.

7. happyshopper

happyshopperActive Member

Threads:
    I buy my groceries at Walmart and I also go to Food Lion sometimes. I ended up moving to a different state over the summer so Food Lion is still pretty new to me but it's a nice store with some great deals. Lately I have been shopping at Walmart a lot more for food and it really does save me money. I'll be going back there again soon to buy some diet food for me.

8. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    It really depends on what I need, but most of the time I end up going to Hannaford or Wal-mart to get the basic things that I need. But I've even done some of my grocery shopping at Dollar Tree, especially as of recently because you really can get so much there, even if they're simple things - Bread, Milk, Paper plates, napkins, etc, it's kind of amazing how much you can get there. Also, at least once a month I will go to Aldi, which is another really cheap store where I can get a lot, one of my favorite places to go, and I really should go there more often.

9. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    For just about everything other than a few perishables, I like to shop at Costco. Buying in bulk is the best way for me because I don't have much time to dedicate to grocery shopping and would like to go as little as possible. The prices are usually better too on most things which makes it a pretty easy decision to just do my shopping there.

Occasionally, I'll keep an eye out on Safeway prices as they'll have really great deals on chicken breasts that I can't ever pass up for the price as well as other various little grocery items that I couldn't buy at Costco. It's been nice limiting the amount of stores I have to go to buy everything and saving time.

10. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I usually prefer to buy food from the Walmart as I have coupons from Walmart. It usually way too cheaper than buying anywhere else for me. I think it is best to buy in a place which is quite cheaper for you rather than anything else. I believe that one can choose to find out which place is best for them.

11. Mockingbird

MockingbirdActive Member

Threads:
    I do major food shopping at a local produce market that carries vegetables and products from the farms, they have a butcher and also sell plants, things like that. It is a pretty big market open year around, you can buy staples in bigger quantity and cheaper, but because it is organic you need to use it or can it or something pretty fast.

Otherwise I shop at Tops or Wegmans. I wish we had a Publix in the north, when I am in Florida I use Publix, when I was in West Virginia I went to Food Lion which I liked the prices were very good. I am pretty sure Tops and Wegmans are local, we just got the first Trader Joe in the area. I don't like Walmart for food shopping, they seem somewhat limited in what they carry.

12. dizzykitsune

dizzykitsuneActive Member

Threads:
    Although Walmart has nearly everything, I often go to Publix or Winn Dixie for groceries simply because of the sales they'll host from week to week. When there's a deal that beats Walmart then I'm all for it. However, I would prefer to support smaller businesses but lack the money to be able to do so. My budget is very small which is why I have to purchase my groceries from larger businesses that have smaller prices.

13. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I combine Walmart, Dollar Tree and Public. I will occasionally hit Walgreen's pharmacy too because they sometimes put gallons of milk on sale fo $2.99, and I once found $3 bags of brand name coffee in their clearance section.
    Kmart also has good manager's specials on snacks.

Although it would be easier to buy everything at one store, I get better deals by doing a combination of stores.

14. katherine25

katherine25Member

Threads:
    I normally go to Walmart but once in a while I'll go to No Frills but its only on their dollar day sales.

15. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    A lot of my grocery shopping has been migrating to Target. They seem to have some amazing deals on many of my staple items, but not all. So for those, I usually stop by a local supermarket on the way back home. They carry a lot of items I can’t find elsewhere, so that’s a bonus.

16. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Same here. I live in a small town, so I try to support the people here. I go to the local grocery store (employee owned) and the farmer's market then hit the discount store on the edge of town (also local people). I pick up a few things at Walmart, and I grab some items from Dollar Tree when I'm near one. I usually try to get what I can from local folks first though.

17. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I live near many malls, so I buy my groceries inside the mall supermarket. If I run out of stock, then I buy sachets of coffee or other stuff like energy drinks at the convenience store, which is walking distance only from our house.

18. BethD

BethDNew Member

Threads:
    I buy most of my groceries at Kroger. We got a brand new one in town not too long ago. It's got such a nice atmosphere inside and the employees are super friendly. The store also hires enough employees so if you need help, you can always find one. Our Kroger has a great inexpensive brand called Psst. It is a quality brand without the higher cost. They also have some excellent store brands that are cheaper than the brand names. They usually have samples to try, which is fun and they are always grilling something outside in the summer months. The store just introduced clothing and it is quality clothing. I just bought a shirt there and I am very happy with it. The only thing I can't find there is Red Skin Potato salad which my husband and I like, so if we want it we have to go to Walmart.

19. shanetx1969

shanetx1969New Member

Threads:
    We used to purchase our groceries at Wal-Mart Supercenter. It became very frustrating because we would end up wandering over to the general merchandise section and finding an item that we had no intention to purchase before arriving at the store. Even worse, we did not even need the item in the first place! Thankfully, a Wal-Mart Neighborhood opened up in our city approximately one year ago. Since that time, we have exclusively purchased our grocery items there and have saved money and even experience shorter shopping time.

20. Jannnnjan

JannnnjanActive Member

Threads:
    In the UK the main supermarkets are Tesco, Morrisons, Asda, waitrose, Sainsburys, Iceland and the Co op with discounted stores such as Lidl and Aldi as well. I tend to go to either Tesco, Morrisons or the Co op once a fortnight. I never buy meat at a supermarket because I support the local butcher. I also go to small local stores for fruit and veg in between going to the larger stores.
    I sometimes go to Lidl or Aldi as well but they don't stock everything I need so I have to visit another supermarket as well which is time consuming.