Where Do You Draw The Line?

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by Denis Hard • Aug 7, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When getting Christmas cards for someone special. I know it's easy to use some template to make one online then print it but most people wouldn't like you that much for being so stingy.

Others suggest that instead of buying someone a Christmas card, all you need to do is write a letter the old way [using a pen and a paper] wrap it up like some kind of gift and send it.

I've never tried that so I can't tell how the recipient would react? If you buy Christmas cards or other greeting cards, would you try something like that?

2. devilishomar

devilishomarMember

Threads:
    I think getting template cards is the classic way to go, and people still enjoys those. I don't think people would enjoy a written letter that much (though I guess it depends on how old the person you're sending to is). Online templates are pretty much the same thing as standard ones from the shop. The only difference is you're printing them yourselves. I would go to even say they're better, because you have much more templates to choose from.

Your best bet, if you're going for the best reaction, is to make one by hand (it could even be through a computer, but it has to be custom). People feel really great if they know that you put quite a bit of effort into making something for them, which is great in the long run.

3. TuRon Davis

TuRon DavisActive Member

Threads:
    I think any type of expression sent on Christmas will have impact. However, the average person wouldn't expect the traditional Christmas hand-written letter. The modern way is what I prefer, but being a creative person like myself, anything goes.

4. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    I get packs of empty Christmas cards and write a letter in each of them. It is a card and a letter and I feel like it is not only jolly and festive, but it is also personal. Plus it is fun to do I think.

5. allswl

allswlActive Member

Threads:
    Well you draw the line where you want to. What you do for someone else will depend on what you feel is right. The choices are many so depending on what you can afford or what truly expresses your feelings. You even have the option of doing both if you want. Many people do not want to make the effort so they opt for a card. Writing a letter that expresses what you feel is a nice thing especially if it is hand written.

6. Forall

ForallMember

Threads:
    That's a great way to do it, no doubt. :)

7. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Christmas cards are great, but for some it is out dated. I have sent e-cards as it is cheaper and quicker or text people Merry Christmas now. Many of my friends move around and their address can change frequently or they work away. A friend of mine had a business designing and selling cards which folded a couple of years ago as the demand was no longer around. It wasn't worth her while for printing and stocking them.

8. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I always try to make my greeting cards to be really personal, but I don't want it to be just bland. I strive to make it really appealing that by it alone, without the message yet, the recipient would already find it worth to treasure and touching. This means that I don't just write a letter and give it as it is. It has to be something that gives good meaning, and it has to match the message. The message shouldn't be the only one speaking up, but also the design, and the template of the card itself.

9. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Why is making cards online "stingy"? I think it is nice to pick out just the right template and make a nice, personalized card for someone. I mean, I could go buy a box of cards at the dollar store for a buck if I just wanted to go the cheap route, but they wouldn't be as nice, and they wouldn't be personal. I would not wrap a letter as a gift. A letter might be a nice way to catch up and say Merry Christmas, but it isn't exactly a gift worthy of wrapping, in my opinion. That to me would look stingy. "Oh hey, I didn't get you a gift, so I jotted down a letter and wrapped that instead." lol

10. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    What are you printing these christmas cards out on? Because printing out a bunch of cards on an inkjet printer on heavy stock paper meant for an inkjet would cost quite a bit overall. Those ink cartridges can run you over $60 for all the colors easily, and the card stock is going to be around $10-$15 a pack, and there will only be enough to make about 10-15 cards. It seems like you would just be better off buying a box of commercial christmas cards instead.

There are places like Vistaprint where you could also make custom christmas cards, with your families photos on them. Those run about $2 per card, but if you are only mailing out about 20-30 or so cards, that might be more economical still, than inkjets and card stock.

11. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    Christmas cards or any kind of special day cards are expensive to be honest. Sometimes I believe you can take that money spent for a card and get a little present for the person instead. As for sending custom cards, it's a creative idea to do it but in this world we live in today, it'll most likely come off as cheap and stingy, with the person thinking that you're broke and had no money to spend. It might work for some people depending on the age of the recipient of the card, but for a majority of people it probably wouldn't come off very well. But maybe just maybe if you dress it up really good and add some powerful words, it could work.

12. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiersActive Member

Threads:
    I actually do this from time to time. These little projects take a little bit of time and effort and it shows -- which tends to mean more to people than a prefab card. There is a lot you can do to make them look really professional. Using card stock and covering it in a pretty wrapping paper gives them a real crafty touch.

13. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    The spirit of Christmas is to give from the heart, and to be sincere about it. I feel like it would be okay for me to print out a card, or write a letter and wrap it up like a gift if that is something that really came from my heart. I would only send something like this to someone who I know would not be put-out at not receiving something more than this.

14. jackslivi

jacksliviMember

Threads:
    Who has time to read a letter anymore? I would love to receive Christmas cards that way because then you actually know what the family is up to. If we didn't have social media sites then everyone would still do this. I think facebook is to blame because then you can just post your pictures or what you are doing on there. It's kind of fading out for the Christmas card business unless you are old.

15. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't even put the effort into making a card on the computer. I just buy all mine at the dollar store. I guess that makes me even stingier because I am stingy with both my time and money. If the recipient of the card does not like you because you didn't spend dollars on their card, they already don't like you. That is so ungrateful, the fact that you take the time to give a card at all says you care and value them and made an effort.

16. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never write Christmas cards. I will call some family members and friends on New Year, but even that is something that I tend to do less and less. Usually, I write them a note on the computer. It's not a lack of interest on my part, but rather the fact that I can't be bothered making a big fuss at the end of the year. The people around me are important to me all year round, so I write, call and meet them on a regular basis to stay in touch with them. They know and appreciate that around Christmas and New Year I like to be alone and not participate in the general huzz and buzz.

17. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have that many friends or family members so I take the time to do handwritten cards because they're only going out to a couple of people, so it doesn't take long and it's more personal.

18. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    You know, most people don't even send out cards anymore, and not everyone celebrates Christmas. Anyone who would take issue with how you chose to send out your holiday greeting is obviously missing the point and, as the saying goes, the reason for the season. If you take the time out of your busy life to acknowledge someone they should be touched that you were thinking of them, not criticizing your choice of delivery.

19. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never sent a card to anyone, I only greet them by text or by calling them. I wouldn't mind receiving any card though, but me handing them out is far-fetched, especially in this age of text and emails.