Where Do You Get Your Movie Recommendations?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by DrRipley • Sep 23, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'm sure at least some of us here have experienced wanting to watch a movie on some nights but have no idea what to watch next, especially for those of us who are unfortunate enough not to have sites like Netflix available. Similar sites that are available usually do have some recommendations but they are somewhat limited and they are not always in tune with my mood in a particular day.

So my question is where do you guys get your movie recommendations?

I usually just try and rummage through IMDB lists but that's not always fruitful for me and I'd love to hear some more avenues I could check out as an alternative.

2. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, IMDB is good; also Rotten Tomatoes. They seem to show different aspects of why a person might choose to go see a film. I also look up new trailers on YouTube and additional clips that people might post. But basically, I save up my money for movies I have been waiting to come out, or for movies that I am confident will at least have the digital effects to satisfy the amount of dollars I spent to see it on a big screen. If I question whether or not something is good then I just wait to rent it. And if I am going out with a large group of people I prefer to watch something that is neutral, not too much violence or sex but more on the humor side.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You'll get good recommendations on movie buff or entertainment forums. There are so many movies that even if you were to hunt for reviews and lists, you wouldn't get to hear about them at all because the reviewers may have never watched the movie.

From a forum where members love watching movies you could get recommendations for movies you never would have known exist.

4. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    I use IMDB for the most part but often times my friends would tell me what to watch and I would go straight to Rottentomatoes.com to see the ratings and if it's good enough I would go watch it. Also I am subscribed to a lot of movie trailer channels on Youtube so every time there's a new movie that's going to come out I always got a hold of the trailers.

5. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    From IMDB mostly. If I want to see, say, action movies, I Google something like this: "must see action movies list". There's plenty of lists and top lists on IMDB and other sites so most times I find a few good movies that I missed over the years. Then I just change the search term to adventure, fantasy and whatnot. Talking with friends that like watching movies helps too - a few good suggestions I got from them.

6. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    It's IMDB from me as well. I don't like spending a whole lot of time searching for recommendations so I just surf IMDB because they're always at the top of the SERPs. I also ask my movie-junkie friends for what movies to watch. I'm the type who's always late to watch the latest craze.

7. Bright7

Bright7Active Member

Threads:
    There is a site called Rinema that is sort of a Goodreads for movies. Once you have filled out your profile and your movie preferences, they will give you recommendations. It's a cool website and I wish it would get more love on social media. Otherwise, I get recommendations from forums like this one. I'll start a thread asking for movie recs and I will come up with a really great list of movies to try because people will recommend things that are out of my comfort zone. I've been very pleasantly surprised by some of the gems I have found that way. :)

8. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually get movie recommendations from either TV commercials or trailers that you watch on the movies. I also get many of my recommendations from friends.

9. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I just watch trailers on Youtube. But for the most part what I do is I would go to Google and type in "10 Greatest Movie of 20XX" and once I get into the top of the list I would go to Netflix and just watch the movie. That's pretty much how I roll but when it comes to theaters, well anything goes for me.

10. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I just google the genre that I am interested in, and then look for recent releases. I mostly enjoy foreign thrillers, so I just do a search on the latest movies from France or Italy, and then take it from there. If I see anything that catches my interest, I look at some reviews and then see where I can watch it online.

11. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    I simply Google "movies 2010" or "movies 2014" and I click on the link that shows this html "teaser-trailer.com/movies-2010 or 2014.html". imdb seems pretty good as well, so I'll begin to use them too, thanks for the suggestion everyone! appreciated.

12. Jake

JakeActive Member

Threads:
    Netflix, it is really my only source of entertainment. I do not watch movies that come straight onto movie screens. It is wildly expensive and sometimes you are forced to sit through a movie you dislike so that your money does not feel like a complete waste. After a while, Netflix learns to cater your tastes in the "reccomended" section, I have been exposed to new things that I would never have thought I would. Thanks to Netflix I now have foreign movies that have become a favorite. Netflix is really a great medium for entertainment.

Then there are torrent sites... if it is wildly poplar on a list then I will watch it :p

13. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    I like going through IMDB lists as well, or at least checking the IMDB page for some reviews of the movie. Helps get a general sense of what the movie is about and what the public thought of it. And while there's obvious trolls who just hate on everything, most of the time the ratings give a pretty good review of the movie.

Other than that, I just get my recommendations through word of mouth through friends and family.

14. curtclicker

curtclickerMember

Threads:
    I use Rotten Tomatoes over IMDB because Rotten Tomatoes aggregates the reviews of critics rather than users. I find that on IMDB sometimes poor movies have a higher rating initially simply due to the "new movie hype". This has gotten me watching some poor movies sometimes that I would have to shut off in the middle because I couldn't stand watching it. Rotten Tomatoes, however, has never failed me and always given me great movies.

15. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    It depends on my mood at the moment. I don't pay much attention to Netflix's recommendations as the films don't really capture my attention. I stumble upon a lot of intriguing films by accident. If I am watching a clip on YouTube, I may come across a comment referencing another movie or see a video clip alongside the screen and click on it. Sometimes if I am reading information or watching an interview on an actor and review their body of work, I may come across a film's synopsis that interest me. So my sources of movie recommendations varies.

16. Nevi

NeviNew Member

Threads:
    I always browse IMDB users list to find a movie to watch then watch the trailers on youtube see if it is worth it, My friends are always giving me movie suggestions which are great. Rotten tomatoes is a good site to look for too.

17. Melissast

MelissastActive Member

Threads:
    I just browse through rebox and see what looks interesting to me since that is where I usually get my movies.
    Before I moved I lived where there was a video store and I would talk with the video store clerk about what had been released and rather they had heard if it was any good or not. Sadly they are becoming things of the past in this day and age.

18. AresBlade

AresBladeActive Member

Threads:
    I like Rotten Tomatoes and Box Office Mojo for finding new movies to watch. I often don't agree with the critics at all, but in many cases the public consensus on RT is worthwhile. Really though, I think if you tried you could probably get Netflix in your location even if it's not directly available there, you should check around, it's really worth the monthly fee :)

19. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't really go by recommendations. I watch the trailers and read up on the movies, then I see if I want to watch it. If I do go by movie reviews, then I use Rotten Tomatoes. They compile all the movie reviews by critics on the internet. It's pretty reliable.

20. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    IMBD lists and recommendations, and reviews from Rotten Tomatoes, though I really don't read reviews that often. I only go to those sites for the title of the movies and those that are coming out. Sometimes, it just happens that I am able to see advertisements along the road, and if the ad or the title appears really attractive, I go check out the film. This is in the case for those that are of 'coming soon' status. But those movies that have already been released in the cinemas, say those that are decades old already, I am able to know them through sites like what I have already mentioned, IMBD and Rotten Tomatoes.