Where Do You Get Your Movie Reviews?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by DrRipley • May 13, 2013.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Do you like to see reviews before or after watching a new movie? If so, who do you trust to give you recommendations? Which sites do you visit to find out if a movie is worth watching, or if you're doing it after. to see if someone shares your opinion?

I don't rely much on reviews or ratings, most of the time, I like what I like even when people find the movie to be terrible. But on the select times that I do this, I just go to IMDB and see what the people there have to say about it.

2. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am used to visiting Rotten Tomatoes to read the different critic reviews for movies. The only problem is, I sometimes get confused when reading their reviews because at one point, one critic would be saying negative things about the movie while another critic would be all praises.

Like you, I also visit IMDB. I actually have a its mobile app installed on my Android device.

3. ozadin

ozadinActive Member

Threads:
    I just do a quick google search and see if the overall reviews are good. I don't go on one specific website, I go on a wide range of them. If the movie is rated, say, 1 star, then I will not watch it. If it's 3 or higher, I might give it a chance.

4. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't rely on reviews so I don't look for them. Every review I've read, after I've seen the movie, I have not agreed. So I search for trailers and base my decision on those alone.

5. chriswild1122

chriswild1122New Member

Threads:
    I always go to rottentomatoes.com as I truly think it's the best place to get the opinion of the majority. Back in the day it used to be that a review in your local paper would make or break a film but with the internet and sites like Rotten Tomatoes this is no longer the case. I do have to say though, I have experienced 1 or 2 films that have been either fantastic or awful and by that virtue completely contradict the Rotten Tomatoes rating. For the most part though the site is accurate and it rocks!

6. limcid

limcidActive Member

Threads:
    I normally go to IMDB, but I have occasionally checked out Rotten Tomatoes. I like IMDB better, probably more out of habit than anything else.

7. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    I don't like to read reviews that much because taste is subjective to the viewer. But when i need to see anything related to them, i go to metacritic.

8. avasmom

avasmomMember

Threads:
    I have used IMDB (Internet Movie Data Base) for years - it's my go-to place for movie and TV reviews. Hadn't heard of Rotten Tomatoes before so thank you for that tip!

9. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never watch newly released movies so the reviews matter little to me. I like to hear what those who've watched the movie have to say about it. If they liked it and the story sounds good, I wait for the DVD and buy it.

10. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    The place I get my movie reviews from are usually from user based review sites. I never like to read critic reviews as they can be very bias.Then there are other times where I just do a simple search on google to find a review.

11. andrew172

andrew172Active Member

Threads:
    I use IMDB... or if I have a friend who's seen the movie who I know has similar taste to me, then I will ask their opinion on it.

12. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't read reviews for movies I want to see. I haven't read one review I've agreed with yet. I do look at reviews for my kids though. There is a site for parents to check up on every aspect of a movie (sex, violence, bad language etc) and it's been very helpful.

13. CannibalCrayon

CannibalCrayonNew Member

Threads:
    I've stopped relying on reviews for movies as of late, unless the majority of people I personally know as well as critics have hated it. The definition of a good movie is such a subjective opinion. It's like asking if a certain music album is good/bad. When it comes to media, you should always take reviews with a grain of salt.

I randomly came across a movie a few months ago called Antiviral that popped up on my Netflix and it quickly became one of my favorite movies next to A Clockwork Orange, but no matter where I look the reviews of the movie are all over the place. Usually if I see a movie that seems good/has an interesting plot, I'll watch it regardless of reviews, if I even bother to look at them at all.

14. andrew172

andrew172Active Member

Threads:
    True, I suppose at the end of the day, it just comes down to your personal preferences. I like may movies that critics have hated, just like I have dislike many movies that critics loved. It just comes down to what you like and don't like yourself.

15. freemind_76

freemind_76Member

Threads:
    I don't rely much on movie reviews. Everybody have different tastes. But sometimes with extra time on my hands, I do read some reviews. And most often, just like what you have said, what might look like a terrible movie to the reviewer turned out great for me.

16. alfonso

alfonsoMember

Threads:
    I pretty much do the same thing, most of the movies I watch outside the cinema, I watch because of good ratings on IMDB, or recommendations from friends. I don't think I look at other sites for movie reviews actually.

17. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:

Usually I get my movie reviews from friends and family members who have seen the movie. Because me my friends and family have a lot of the same taste in movies i trust their opinions so if a new movie is out i hit up facebook to see what the buzz is.

18. downloadsincomplete

downloadsincompleteMember

Threads:
    I like to go into the movies blind, meaning I know absolutely nothing about it. I don't like spoilers, so I tend to shy away from trailers and reviews.

But when the movie is on TV or DVD, I check Rotten Tomatoes or IMDB. I just check how many stars it got in case I'm trying to decide between two movies, or one movie and doing something else outside the house.

19. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always check out movie reviews after I have seen the movie, so that I can relate to what the reviewer is talking about. I usually go to IMDB, after all, it's the most popular movie site out there. I actually have written 1 review over there, because the film that I saw was chock full of loopholes and I need to vent out how worse it is. :D

20. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I came some another site which purports to give you unbiased reviews of movies. I don't know if that's true or not but a quick look at the site will prove if they're reliable or not:

#20Dec 6, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2013