Where Do You Shop for Clothes to Save?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Mudd04 • Jul 17, 2012.

1. Mudd04

Mudd04New Member

Threads:
    Do you have somewhere you purchase good or even decent quality clothes that look good and save some money while you are at it? Where do you get your discount fashion?

I usually shop at Ross. I bought a pair of name brand jeans a little over a year ago for $13. My husband and I had just split up, he made all the money and I have a very tight (okay, non existant) budget. I wouldn't have bought anything but I had just lost 60 pounds so did not have a single thing that fit. Those jeans are still my only pair of jeans that even remotely fit. I haven't been able to buy another pair yet and those darn things are just now starting to show a little wear even with the constant washing and wearing. Talk about great value. I did also prefer to shop there before the split but Ross is great when you can't afford much but want decent and new clothing.

I also have heard plenty of people say they love the Salvation Army and the great things you can pick up there.

2. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    Unfortunately, I haven't found any difference in any of the stores for price differences. Even Winners sells the same clothes for the same prices as department stores. For me, it seems the best place to shop is Lands' End, but the thing that sucks is the shipping costs and/or duty. I wish Walmart had more of a selection of clothing.

3. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I don't often shop for clothes, but when I do, it's usually the incredibly cheap kind at dollar stores and local vendors. Local vendors tend to have clothes that are more artistic and unique while still being inexpensive, while dollar stores have the necessary staples for layering when necessary (tee shirts, socks, underwear, etc). I also shop sometimes at places like Conway and Rainbow if I see something worth buying.

4. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually shop at Ross or JC Penney to save on clothes. I see that you're located in Las Vegas. When I lived there, I shopped at the Goodwill thrift shops and even Savers. The thrift shops are great in Las Vegas. You can find some really great bargains and a lot of clothes with the tags still on them. I'm back in Southern California and it's the thrift shops don't have the same type of bargains.

5. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I actually shop at yard sales and thrift stores more than anything. If I'm shopping for brand new clothes, then I focus on sale sections of each site. Even the more expensive stores can have some amazing clearance deals, just to move the stock out.

6. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I buy most of my clothes from local street markets. This week, I bought a lovely floral cotton top for 3 Euro (around £2.50, or $4). It's a good brand, but it's last season's model. At 60, I'm not interested in cutting edge fashion - just well-fitting, classic stuff that flatters my figure. I'll also buy stuff from car boot sales. Often, you can snap up a bargain with the label still attached. You'd be surprised how many fashion mistakes end up at boot sales.

7. Laura

LauraNew Member

Threads:
    Here in London we have Primarck. Not the best quality but the prices are crazy. Jeans for 7 or 8 £ (5 or 6 $), basic t-shirts for 2 or 4 pounds (1,5$ or3,5$). I always go there when I need basic clothes, especially for work, with children I get messy in less than an hour. You can find some nice clothes but it is a little bit expensive.

That wouldn't be my favorite shop but definitely a life saver when you don't have the money at that moment

8. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    Here in Miami it would be Ross, Marshalls, Kohls, TJ Maxx, Target, and sometimes Burlington when they are having good sales. We also have many thrift stores which is nice because the clothes I find there (if I take my time and look) is actually very good quality second hand stuff.

9. Zapped

ZappedMember

Threads:
    I go up to the road our mall is on. The road is a short stretch filled with EVERYTHING, you could want. Goodwills, thrift stores, discount factory outlet stores, Target, Walmart, Sams Club, The Mall and more stores. The way I save money buying cloths is to take a day, start on one end of the street and work my way to the end. I walk to 4 or 5 stores, then drive to the next bach. That saves me on gas. I look for killer sales, great deals and then buy a few items to tie it all together. For $100 I have been known to get an entire wardrobe including accessories, just buy hitting all of the discount racks an sale items at all of the sores on that strip.

10. bryce12

bryce12Active Member

Threads:
    I like to visit my local mall to buy clothes. There are almost all the branded stores there so it makes sense to try different options before finalizing the purchase. I don't buy clothes online as there is no guarantee that clothes would fit well. I think as far as buying clothes is concerned, it is better to visit your favorite stores and buy clothes from them.

11. Kaila

KailaNew Member

Threads:
    In Canada, there's a shop called Winners that has all kinds of name brand clothes that were sold as overstock. You have to hunt around quite a bit, which can be a pain, and there's a lot of rubbish, but almost every time I've gone, I've found an amazing hidden gem. For example, one time I got a Miss Sixty skirt that cost $150 in the store, for $40. I actually really enjoy the whole experience, because you feel like you're treasure hunting, and it's very rewarding when you actually find your treasure (though you do still have to pay for it!).

12. MoniqueSeibel

MoniqueSeibelActive Member

Threads:
    I think Forever 21 and H&M are pretty reasonable and they have really attractive clothing. Garage is also very reasonable, but I find it is a little hit & miss. Someone already mentioned, Winners but they do have some good sales. I especially like buying jeans from them, at half the cost they would be elsewhere. Also, Joe Fresh and George have some cute clothes that are pretty inexpensive.

13. ssamcd

ssamcdMember

Threads:
    Here in Ireland we would shop at Penny's for the cheapest prices. I am never able to find anything that fits me properly at Penny's So I am not as fortune to find something there. When my kids are home they will take the shopping cart into penny's and stock on their tank tops and lingerie and stuff like that. When I am in the States I like Walmart. I have never tried Ross's but when I go their that will be my next place to shop.

14. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    I shop at a few stores for clothing that looks great and save a few dollars. I prefer to shop online because most times I could use Google to search for additional coupons. I like shopping at Jcpenney, Macy's, Sears, Forever21, and Walmart. However, I recently stumbled on a few sites that offer cheap clothing and accessories: 599fashions.com and 10dollarmall.com these two sites are great when looking for a bargain.

15. marala60

marala60New Member

Threads:
    Ross has some very good deals. However, I have found the selection and quality of the clothing better at TJ Maxx. They seem to have higher end brands and definetly more selection in both the men's and women's departments. If there isn't a TJ Maxx near you then that's a real shame. I would also just go to the mall and your favorite stores during the sale season. This can be a great help since it is the stuff you want, just at certain times of the year it costs way less to buy it. Finally, outlet centers have great deals however they do get the clothes that don't sell as well in normal stores, thus be prepared to maybe not find exactly what you're looking for there.

16. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I have only been on the west coast once, but I noticed while I was there that the goodwill shops had much more interesting selections than the ones in New York.

17. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    TaoBao! It's the largest Chinese marketplace. And to everyone who thinks Chinese products are just crap, why don't you check where most of your clothes were made? :rolleyes:

They don't just have knockoffs, you have originals too and clothes from Chinese brands, directly from factories. If you buy in quantity, you can save a LOT.

18. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    I used to shop at Primark, but found that I couldn't wear their tops and shirts after a couple of washes, and the fitting of their jeans isn't all that ideal. Matalan is far better in comparison with some good quality stuff being sold there, at very affordable prices. If I know what I'm looking for among branded clothing, I do find some good deals on ebay occasionally for 'brand-new with tags' clothes. Alternatively, I am on the look out for sales at at Debenhams, Next and Marks n Spencer in the UK.

19. Cornholio

CornholioActive Member

Threads:
    Ross, Marshalls, and TJ Maxx are always a good bet for me. They carry a wide array of sizes and will have really good quality clothes for super cheap. The clothes there cost less than Walmart and are normal name brands with better quality. I usually do all my shopping at Ross since I have two that are pretty close.

20. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    I'm a plus size gal so I may not have as many options as a size 4 but I get creative. I don't do the whole thift shopping thing however I like to shop at Avenue and Lane Bryant BUT on the clearance racks. You'd be surprised the deals you can get when shopping clearance and when they have a "gold dot " special for additional savings on top of clearance items. Also, I will go to Conway, Kmart, or ironically enough Burlington Coat factory has some decent stuff and good prices. They have more than just coats and a mean shoe selection.