where is the safest place to buy a refurbish or used laptop online?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by darelle4 • Oct 4, 2013.

1. darelle4

darelle4Member

Threads:
    Sometimes it is a hassle to get a refurbished or used laptop that works well online because you are not present to inspect it. I know eBay and Amazon sells used and refurbished electronics but other than these website where else can you get them with good working conditions.

2. rossonomous

rossonomousActive Member

Threads:
    Dell have a pretty decent refurb outlet.

3. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most places that sell computers have them. I just bought one on Ebay, it's awesome, worked out well..

4. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Walmart also sells refurbished computers online they are pretty good I think. Plus if there is a problem with you walmart has a great return policy even online.

5. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Here is the link to Dell's refurbished online store:

You could also try some of your local computer stores, they will often sell refurbished models. A store called Microcenter sells refurbished models in store that you can try out and buy. I've gotten a few like this and they worked fine.

Amazon also sells refurbished models if you read the product listings carefully - just check the vendors ratings to make sure they don't have any issues.

6. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    While I don't usually suggest Apple, they are probably the only ones that I would buy refurbished from and that's because I've heard many a story of them giving away brand new ones at the Genius Bar. Other than that I am a PC and would only buy a new one, maybe a display.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that as long as the seller is reputable, you can get a good and working refurbished computer/laptop. Check your local department stores and electronic stores, I've seen them selling refurbished pc's.

8. minotechonline

minotechonlineNew Member

Threads:
    Newegg sells some refurbished computers and they have super fast shipping and usually great prices. You should look into that before you try typical department stores and outlets.

9. mareebaybay

mareebaybayActive Member

Threads:
    I think the best place to buy a refurbished laptop is Amazon. Amazon is great at selling used products, as well as eBay. I recommend both sites to anyone how is in need of a cheap electronic device. They both are great places to start the search. Just beware of ordering on one of these sites, always use PayPal whenever you order anything online.

10. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Several years ago I bought a refurbished laptop from Staples. It was a ThinkPad. That's the only reason why I risked buying it.

I also purchased a used laptop, another ThinkPad, from the Goodwill. I did test it before I bought it. They had several laptops at the Goodwill, but I was only comfortable buying a ThinkPad. ThinkPads are well built machines that can take a lot of abuse and run for years.

11. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Apple sells refurbished products, if you're interested in them. I think it's a good way to test out their products without having to pay as much, and it's probably safer since they have a hand at the refurbishment. You can check out more details on their site, if you like.

12. illusion

illusionMember

Threads:
    Tiger Direct is another site that sells refurbished computers. I think the best deals you'll find are at Amazon, though.

13. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Agreed. I bought a refurbished computer from Walmart's website and when the power supply went bad, they sent me a free replacement computer.

14. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    The safest place would probably be from the manufacturers and dealers themselves. They might charge a bit more but you're rest assured that you'll have some sort of warranty whenever something goes wrong. Dell has a lot of pretty good refurbished laptop's, you can also check Amazon. Stay away from eBay.

15. Goat of Departure

Goat of DepartureActive Member

Threads:
    Probably from the manufacturers and official sellers themselves. They might be a bit more expensive compared to what you'll be seeing on eBay or some other similar site but you're at least sure that it will come with a warranty of some sort. You can also try your hand on Amazon they have some really good stuff there as well.

16. Eiko

EikoMember

Threads:
    I agree with using Tiger Direct. I've been a huge fan of them for many years now. They have some really amazing refurbish deals as well as great regular sales.

I'm also a frequent Amazon user, they tend to carry quite a bit of good computer deals and an occasional refurbished deal.

17. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    I don't usually shop for anything refurbished online not unless it's very cheap to the point that it's stupid to pass up on it. But I would say buying directly from manufacturers and retailers would be the safest bet.

18. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've wondered about Amazon, but haven't tried it yet. But I'd definitely vouch for Ebay. It's a little scary, but we've bought 3 second hand laptops so far from there without any problems whatsoever. We only had one isolated incident where the iMac was clearly dead, but the owner was insisting it was working when he dispatched it! We were assertive and even forceful in returning it for a refund, and bought one brand new from the Mac store.

19. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    Well, there is Dell and I think also microsoft to get refurbished laptops at a good price. But to be honest I have had good luck with Amazon. The last two laptops I bought have been from a seller there. Both units were refurbished and were at a good price. The thing I liked the most about buying the laptop there was I could research the seller before dealing with them. Their ratings along with customer reviews told me whether the seller could be trusted, and to deal with them. There are many factors to buying a laptop even a refurbished one. For example, what kind of running system do you want, what kind of memory, what kind of software do you want downloaded in it, so its a good idea to find a trusted seller who is giving you what you are looking for.

20. jabayn

jabaynNew Member

Threads:
    I would also recommend buying stuff from apples refurbish store. They sell some pretty decent machinies there and the prices are really fair. I got a mac mini from them a few years back and it is still going till this day. I had a really pleasant experience with that and i felt really good about it. The customer service was also extremely excellent.