Where online can I buy used books?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by Jatelo2 • Sep 21, 2012.

1. Jatelo2

Jatelo2Active Member

Threads:
    I love reading lots of books especially Christian and Philosophical Books. I was just wondering where I could order used books at great discounts? Anyone with a link please just be sufficiently philanthropic to assist. I don't want to spend alot but I love reading!

2. nick87

nick87Active Member

Threads:
    Ebay and amazon (if you click used on amazon). Those are some of the obvious ones anyway.

3. Nakhash

NakhashMember

Threads:
    The other sites that came to mind besides eBay and Amazon were Abe Books, Alibris, and Thrift books. Thrift books even offers free shipping within the US.

4. rollybooz

rollyboozActive Member

Threads:
    Well I do have some sites here that also offers free shipping. Some are places where you actually swap used books with others rather than buying them. I've included the links below.

If you're willing to spend a little, Book Depository does have really good deals at times and they have one of the widest selection of books in my opinion. They also offer free e-books though I'm not sure if there are any in your area of interest. Do check it out though!

5. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually buy my used books on Amazon or physically walk into Goodwill and buy them. You would be surprised at the books that turn up at Goodwill in great condition. I've had mostly positive results with online swap sites, although I have had a bad swap or two where I got a book with pages missing or no book.

#5Sep 23, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  6. Jatelo2

Jatelo2Active Member

Threads:
    Remember I also asked for 'great discount'. Does eBay and amazon have great discounts? Please confirm and let me know.

7. Jatelo2

Jatelo2Active Member

Threads:
    Thanks a lot my friend! Let me check out these link and then get back to you on whether the discounts are ok with me!

8. allswl

allswlActive Member

Threads:
    I definitely believe that Amazon is your best bet and they are already the biggest book store online and you are likely to get what you want at a very good price. Shipping cost is very reasonable. Another good place is fishpond.com, they have very good prices. You can also try out Ebay, you are likely to find any book you want there.

9. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    Amazon.com, as some people have already mentioned. They have books for a penny, but you do pay a $6.49 shipping fee, which is outrageous. I have been shopping on Amazon for the past year for my books and I don't regret it. The books are in good condition and are actually rather cheaper than the new and used bookstores!

10. MeliciousMona

MeliciousMonaNew Member

Threads:
    I am a historical book reader, and I have used this link before.

Lots of their books are factory seconds at a great discount, previously used texts and most of their sellers support charity. It may take some digging, but they have so many titles. Happy Book Hunting!

11. pilot2fly

pilot2flyMember

Threads:
    Amazon will give you the lowest price, almost guaranteed. Their sellers often sell for very low. Since the book will be used, it will most likely be 25% of the retail price.

12. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    Amazon has great discounts. I've gotten great condition used books for like 5 cents. You have to pay shipping, but that's why you get amazon prime.

13. iRichard

iRichardMember

Threads:
    I've bought plenty of used books from Amazon.com and they have all been in great condition. I know they have great shipping prices and discounts.

14. jane211

jane211Member

Threads:
    The two most obvious sites to start with are Amazon and eBay.

The Used Book Search Engine is a good resource and allows people to search for books from websites across the Internet. It searches worldwide so you should find a site that is either near you or that delivers to you. You'll find them

You could also try Powells, you'll find them at:

Alibris is another good site. I registered with them a while back and they usually have good prices, especially on used books. There website is at:

In answer to your question do eBay and Amazon offer good discounts, the answer is yes they do. Amazon nearly always sell books below the prices you'd see in stores. Amazon also has sellers offering used books alongside the new ones and that can make them even cheaper. I've brought books for a penny plus £2.80 for shipping.

eBay is pretty much the same. They have professional sellers offering new books but they also have professional sellers offering used books at very reasonable prices, but you'll need to factor in shipping.

Private sellers also offer books for auction and you can get these from just a few pence sometimes. The book category on eBay covers all genres so you should be able to find what you are looking for.

15. A.P.W.

A.P.W.Member

Threads:
    Ebay and Amazon come to mind for physical books, on the other hand Kobo and kindle for the e-book range, charity shops are great for second hand books and also hospital's sell a lot of books. if you google Second hand books you will be surprised what is on offer out there.

16. Jatelo2

Jatelo2Active Member

Threads:

Funny this is? A book worth a penny being shipped at $7. This is what I call being business minded.Why can't they just sell the book at $7 and ship it for a penny? :confused::confused:

17. classy_ally

classy_allyMember

Threads:
    I am always looking for cheaper priced books. I do Amazon a lot. I don't really do eBay/Half.com. The best place I found is

. Half Price Books have very cheap books like Amazon.