Where To Buy Prescription Glasses

Discussion in Shopping Discussion started by blur92 • Jan 29, 2015.

1. blur92

blur92Active Member

Threads:
    What do you suggest--buying prescription glasses online or in-store? Which is cheaper? I understand a major pro of buying them in-store is trying different styles on, but right now the primary determinant is price. On average how much does it cost to get them online in comparison to in-store? Since I've never bought any over the internet before I'm not sure how that would work in ordering my prescription as well. If you have any information and tip then I would appreciate it if you'd share! :)

2. AngelicDevilTel

AngelicDevilTelActive Member

Threads:
    I remember doing this ad for a site called ZenniOptical a long time ago that offers glasses.
    ZenniOptical offers glasses starting at $6.95 (for the frames) and there are separate prices for any addons that you need (or want).
    I'm would assume that once you pick out your frames then they would ask for your prescription and you work from there.
    As far as if it cheaper to buy online, it could be I wouldn't be able to tell you because I bought mine in my doctor's office and my insurance took care of most of it.

3. Eiko

EikoMember

Threads:
    I'm a huge fan of EyebuyDirect.com!

They have super reasonable pricing and when I did end up ordering a pair of glasses it was pretty painless and they shipped much quicker than their estimated date. I hadn't bought glasses in about 7 years so it was a huge improvement and I will definitely be returning there once it's time for a new pair.

4. professionaltightwad

professionaltightwadMember

Threads:
    ZenniOptical is much cheaper but be careful. Their low-end frames really are low-end, as in the quality leaves a lot to be desired. I bought a pair there a few years ago and the bows broke off within two months. You're not saving if you have to buy another pair that fast. You can still save money, but don't go with the lowest price or you will get what you pay for.

5. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My daughter has purchased glasses for her self about 4 pair for fashion and her two boys with no problems. I do plan to purchase my glasses from Zenni soon. I just don't want to take a long time to get the glasses in my hands.

6. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    As for trying styles, I know some websites will have you uploading a pic of your face and then you can visualize their different glasses shapes and models to see how they'd fit you.

What I'd be concerned about is the actual quality and the fact that, even if you know how bad your sight is (ie your prescription), I think that actual eye stores make sure that you get the right glass and that the glass, if you get it thinned out (which I do), will be thinned exactly in the right place to suit you and your eye distance etc. I am not sure how well online does this.

7. blur92

blur92Active Member

Threads:
    I always thought people were buying their glasses online. I assumed within the past several years that number has been growing, and physical eyeglass stores were becoming decreasingly popular. It looks like I am wrong though. So far it appears actual eyeglass shops you can visit in person are still preferred over the other--at least according to this thread they are.

8. felielizab

felielizabMember

Threads:
    I have been a huge fan of Coastal.com for a few years now. I have bought several pairs from them over the years and have never been disappointed. Right now they are doing a BOGO sale with promo code: TWO4YOU. They have a huge selection. As far as "trying" them on, you can upload a pic and see how they might fit on you. This can be kind of tricky, but as I said before, I have never been disappointed with the quality, fit, or the price.

9. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I would always prefer to buy online rather than in a store, because you can save an awful lot of money in comparison. However, you need to be absolutely sure that you're going to get the right prescription, so you should try and get this done at a professional eye store if at all possible. Once you know the lenses that you need, you are then able to go and get the glasses to that specification. I have done this and it worked out fine, but I have also heard some horror stories. It can be a bit of a gamble at times, but if the glasses that arrive are perfect for you then it is worth it because of the cost that you will save.