Where To Buy Quality Home Wares Online?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Dora M • Jul 2, 2015.

1. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I just moved into a new apartment and need to buy a lot of things for my new home. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of time to go around shopping centers, comparing prices, and looking for the best deals. Can you recommend any good websites with affordable products, such as kitchen equipment, linen, pillows, table lamps, etc.?

2. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I'd recommend taking a look on Amazon. Sometimes sellers have massive discounts and you can really save a lot! I got some throws for my home a couple of months ago that cost less than $3 each, and to top it off they were free shipping! It was a great bargain! While I wouldn't say that Amazon is the answer for everything I'd definitely recommend checking them out for any bargains like that!

3. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I buy a lot of housewares on Amazon and eBay because I too am a very busy person. I really like Fiestaware dishes as they are high quality and really hard to break. I am accident prone and so if a dish can fall and break while in my hands, it will! I scour eBay looking for my dishes and save a lot of money buying them there. Some of them are used, but they are in very nice condition, so you could never tell the difference.

4. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    Amazon is always my go-to for price checking. I use it as a guide for the best price and try to beat it.

But for the myriad of things you are looking for, TJMaxx or Marshall's could easily be a one stop shop for you. They have great prices on random housewares and very often have great stuff in the clearance.

5. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I would be careful with the shipping costs, because they can eat up any "savings" you're getting by shopping for those items online. Stuff like sets of plateware or glassware can be rather heavy and fragile - you would be better off just buying that stuff at a discount store in person somewhere near you.

For the necessities, like curtains, bath towels, silverware, plates, glasses, etc... I would start at the $1 stores and work your way up. There are lots of really basic things like can openers, scissors, tape, first aid supplies, spices, cleaning supplies, and all that stuff that you can get for only $1 each, instead of spending like $2.50, $4 or more for each of them at some big chain department stores. I would avoid their knives though, they go dull and rust almost instantly.

For decorating your place a bit, you can find a lot of great stuff really cheap at Dollar General, Burlington Coat Factory and Big Lots. For example, I had a cherry wood colored headboard for my bed, and I was looking for something to use as end tables on each side - and found two cherry wood plant stands at Dollar General for $8 each. They matched perfectly and once I put some potted flowers and other decor on them they looked perfect. Big Lots sells the clear vinyl liners for your shower curtains for only 99 cents, I've seen them as high as $15+ at places like Bed Bath & Beyond. Big Lots & TJ Maxx are great for plates and glasses and occasionally silverware. I've bought entire sets of plates there for under $10 - in fact I bought two sets so I could have backups if anything cracked or broke.

Big Lots also often sells refurbished appliances - I've seen Cuisinart electric grills which normally sell for over $100, selling there refurbished for under $35. Target is also a great place to snap up bargains, especially when they mark down their decor when it's at the end of the season. They mark their stuff down more than 70% off in most cases. Also, their end caps also have lots of stuff on clearance - including small appliances.

6. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    Unfortunately, I don't know where you are from. If you lived in the UK, then I would say that Dunhelm Mill have a lot of good things for the interior of your home, but I am not sure if they sell in the US or if oyu would face staggeringly high postage cosst. Amazon is gret for pretty much everything as lots of different types of sellers trade oon there. Argos also have a great range of products to suit all budgets.

7. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In the UK, I like to visit TK Maxx for houseware. It never ever disappoints and they stock gorgeous stuff that I probably wouldn't ever afford. Most of my kitchenware is from there. It's interesting to see that Amazon is the popular choice here. Maybe I'll have a look sometime, although it would no doubt kill me on shipping.

8. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    Home Goods is also a nice place to find housewares items. They get stuff that high end stores do not end up selling. I have found beautiful pieces there for good prices.