Where Would You Like To Be Proposed To?

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by ExpertAdvice • Sep 11, 2014.

1. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    "When he proposes, I want him to take me to where we just met, set a romantic evening with candlelit dinner and soft music playing in the background , and I'd love for him to orchestrate with the waiters for them to hide the engagement ring in a cake or somewhere not-so-obvious, but just enough so that I don't end up swallowing it! I'd like him then to hand me a rose, tell me how much he loves me, and then get down on one knee and..."pop "the question"!"

Does that sound like a scenario that has been told to you by an anxious girlfriend or soon-to-be-fiance' who loves her beau so much that she can't wait to marry him?
    For me, I've heard this scenario played out in thought by friends of mine who had not even met "Mr. Right!"

So what do you think? Do you think that a lady who wants a proposal like this is asking too much? Or do you think that she has every right to ask for something like this? Furthermore, what would be your ideal way to propose, or your ideal way that you would loved to be proposed to?

2. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    It doesn't matter to me. I am a woman who never found all of the extra romantic stuff necessary because I am too busy being in love with my boyfriend. Don't get me wrong because I do enjoy it when my boyfriend surprises me with a beautiful weekend at a nice hotel or take me out to fine restaurant. That's always lovely and I do the same for him. As for my marriage proposal, call me crazy but I find the proposals that surprise me out of nowhere to be the most meaningful. For example if I am cooking dinner and he's at the table and we are talking about random stuff and I turn around to find him with a ring, that would literally have me falling to my knees.

3. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I think most women would want a nice thought out proposal with a romantic setting. Not something that seems like it was just slapped together. I'm not the type of woman who's super sentimental to tell you the truth, I don't need something over the top romantic but something decent would be nice.

4. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I think that for men, this will be a question that will put them into a lot of pressure. LOL.

Anyway, I don't really have a preference. The only thing I want is for my partner to propose to me somewhere that is not crowded. Actually, I don't want any audience - just the two of us.

5. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    I personally really don't care really, I just rather it be private. It doesn't have to be at a fancy restaurant, or on the beach. I just want it exactly that, private. I'm not very picky with it, but I think it's an intimate experience that should be between the couple, and not announced to the world right when it happens, but that's just my personal preference, it's not that I don't like that kind of thing, because I've seen videos of people proposing in public and it's still brought a tear to my eye.

6. ExpertAdvice

Threads:
    Wow, I'm really hoping that you're boyfriend has this in mind, and has taken note of what you'd like! I'm so happy to hear that you're truly enjoying actually being in your relationship, rather than getting "caught up in a fantasy" that might not actually be your own, based on the style of you and your mate, and what you both may prefer, in terms of the manner of proposing.
    Of course, like many other ways of doing things, the argument is often that Hollywood movies etc, have helped to "hype up" the need for a "fantasy-when-you-wish-upon-a-star" fairytale-like proposal, when, in reality, it is all the more important that the two persons really do love each other for who they are, and are ready and excited to enjoy a life with each other!
    That's all you need really; it's okay to dream, but don't get lost in it!

7. ExpertAdvice

Threads:
    That thought is actually quite sweet: the "quiet setting". And, in all truth, when you do think about it, at the end of the day, although the typical idea of "the perfect proposal" is for a crowd-calling attention-grabber that features harps playing and fireworks in the sky, if all of this happens and you don't feel comfortable, then it's not gonna even stand out for you as the best moment of your life. You'll be wondering why you had to share your special moment with so many people who you didn't even know, and why all the "fuss" was made in the first place, when all you really wanted was an honest outpouring from the heart! Good move, I wish you all the best and that you get your heart's desire!

8. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not into all the glitzy, glamoury, high end marriage proposals. I'm perfectly fine with something basic and self thought out. I was actually proposed to by my now husband at a park, on the swing, with my then toddler son. He couldn't have thought of a better way or time to do so. It was very simple yet so thought out and original.

9. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    Well I'm already married, so I'm a little late to being super opinionated on this particular subject. But I kind of see it both ways...on the one hand it definitely isn't asking too much if that's what she's expected and if that's the kind of relationship they expect, but it also shouldn't be pressure on the guy so much as an expression that's comfortable for him. Not to mention, if you're that picky, women can propose too!

10. sthrngypsy

sthrngypsyActive Member

Threads:
    I'm well past prime marrying age at 47. Really, McDonalds would be fine with me. And I don't even like McDonalds. Sure it would be nice to be proposed to beside a waterfall in Jamaica, but it is the marriage that is really important, isn't it? Can always go to Jamaica (or wherever) for the honeymoon or anniversary.

11. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    To be honest, I hope that my partner will never propose to me, as I have no intention of marrying him or anyone. I made that decision a long time ago. Marriage to me is like a contract, and I definitely don't want one. I have seen too many people suffer during terrible divorces, and I don't want to be one of them.

12. curtclicker

curtclickerMember

Threads:
    I really don't mind--it's not where I'm being proposed to but who is proposing to me. Of course, I want the person who I love the most and can spend the rest of my life with, and I don't really mind where it takes place, because the person matters so much more than the location.

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think our dreams should be based on reality and not fantasy. If your fiancee's job doesn't pay much, then it's impossible for a fancy engagement to take place. As for me, I think anywhere would do as long as it's with the right person, although if my fiancee was well off I wouldn't mind being on a cruise ship when that happens. :p

14. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    My partner proposed on a birthday party in front of the whole family. I was pissed. He's the grand gesture kind of guy but I hated to be put on the spotlight like that. It wasn't even a real proposal in the sense we've already been discussing marriage, so it was more of a way to tell people and do something special for me but I would have rather he did something more intimate and then ask me if I was ready to tell my family.

15. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    My proposal was super low key and that is what I wanted. I didn't care about the location as much as I was hoping it would be a surprise. I got my low key location but the surprise part was lacking a bit. If I didn't want something low key I think a favorite restaurant or date location of ours could have been nice because it would have been meaningful.

16. ExpertAdvice

Threads:
    These are really great and diverse responses! Thanks so much for your wonderful feedback.
    I "kept it simple" for my wife (who I know isn't that much into surprises), and proposed to her when it was just us, without much "pomp and pageantry", and yet she absolutely loved it! She was over-the-moon excited that I asked her to be my wife, and I couldn't have been happier at her reaction, as well as at the fact that she said "yes"! Man, that one word never sounded so sweet to me ever before!
    I just really expressed to her how much I love her, as well as the many things that she's done in my life that I really love and appreciate. She was teary-eyed and loved it :)

As for marriage being a "contract", well yes, it is, but probably not in the way that you're thinking Dora M. It's a contract, in the sense that two people who love each other, are coming together with certain standards when it comes on to what they like to do, how they like to act, and how they intend to go about business, raising a family and the like. But, the most important aspect that persons who are married/intending to get married need to understand is that this contract isn't something that's rigorous and so obliging on one party or another that it becomes exhausting to uphold. It should be the mutual meeting of the minds, meaning that these two beings are agreeing on what they both love to do, what they would like to see the other person do to improve that person, and what they would love to encourage each other to continue in terms of the positive qualities and habits that they both have.

Yes, there are those negative examples out there, of people who just marry for the wrong motives, or don't marry someone they actually love, but just marriage "for convenience's sake" or some lame excuse like that, and there's also the high rate of divorce that's around, but in the midst of all the bad, it's up to us to fight for the good.
    If we were to focus on the bad things that happen in life, then we would never really enjoy our own lives. My wife and I chose not to focus on the mistakes and poor choices of others, but rather to focus on our love, and on the fact that we wanted to be together forever, and to be officially recognized as one, even literally on paper!
    Trust me, it's the most exciting thing!

I hope you'll change your mind when you find the partner of your dreams!

17. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not sure the place would matter if the person who proposed to me is someone I'm sure I'd love to spend the rest of my life with. But if I were to really choose a backdrop and cater to my romantic inclinations, then I'd go for a secluded temple somewhere in Kyoto, Japan, underneath a big Cherry Blossoms tree in full bloom over the spring. :)

18. soultakerkage

soultakerkageMember

Threads:
    When I proposed to my wife, I caught her by surprise while we were casually talking on our date night. I do think any place is good in the right situation. However, I dream way of proposing to her would have been in Disney World. Happiest place on Earth and also one of the most beautiful I think. My wife and I are kids at heart still after all.