Where's The Best Place To Buy Storage Containers?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by thisnthat • Feb 7, 2017.

1. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    I plan to do some extra organizing around The House. I am starting my spring cleaning early (since I have to pace myself and it will take me a while). So, I'd like to get some extra storage containers, preferably some with Lids. I don't want to spend a ton.

I've picked up a few different types, including those covered shoe box style ones at the Dollar Tree, but I'd also like to find some that are a bit larger. I could go to Walmart, but I'd like something different.

I'd like to maybe have some cute ones that are sturdy too. If you have any suggestions for some good ones that would be great. What kinds of storage containers do you use?

2. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    I've been using plastic containers for kitchen use and I normally buy them at the grocery or in our local store. I don't buy expensive containers though since I will only use them for food, but I don't buy cheap stuffs either for the same reason. On the other hand, I prefer doing my own storage/organizer for small stuffs that are outside the kitchen like the living room and the bedroom. I normally use cereal and cookie boxes for the storage since I can personalize them plus I can save a lot :)

3. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Oh, yeah, the food storage containers are great too. They are very handy for storing craft supplies.

I have made a few of my own things, because I like to decorate them, save money, and avoid waste, too. I need some that are a bit bigger though.

I should have explained. There isn't really room for winter clothes and summer clothes in our room. I want to be able to pack away the clothes for one season when another arrives. So, I need something for bulky sweaters, sweatshirts, and stuff like that, so I can make my room feel less cluttered. Those items take up so much room in small dresser drawers, so I thought some covered bins would be a good idea.

4. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    These are the types of products where I would just have to go online. No need to try anything out and they are small. I would say Amazon, but there are also a lot of places like Wayfair that might have better prices.

5. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    @larryl332@larryl332 Yeah, I'll probably do some online shopping for this, since I don't have all that many options nearby. Thanks for the tip about Wayfair. I'll have a look.

I've seen a few things on Amazon, but I guess I'm just not seeing what I want. I might have to buy a few containers and then just alter them to look the way I want them to look. That's fine too, since I enjoy that kind of thing. I just have to find some that are cheap enough that I'll have money left for supplies with which to decorate them.

I did see an idea for taking those bins that look like milk crates, covering them in fabric or rope, and making a top for them. I might give that a try.

#5Feb 15, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2017
  6. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I have found many cute containers at the dollar store and plus they are decent sizes too. There are different colors to chose from for different tastes. I bought some about two years ago and they are still in pretty good shape meaning the quality is quite good. If I need bigger containers I will just go to WalMart.

7. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    They do have some cute ones at the dollar store, but I wanted something a bit larger than the ones they offer. Some of them are good sizes for various things, but I haven't seen any that are quite big enough to pack away seasonal clothing. I also want the ones that have lids.

The ones they have at Walmart would work. They are serviceable. I was just hoping to find something a bit nicer looking. I guess I'll have to stash them away or find some way to dress them up a bit to make them look a little nicer.

I don't really have to many other options nearby. I guess I'll see what Amazon has available.

8. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    I think for kitchen storage plastic containers are ideal. They are durable, sturdy and at the same fire retardant too. But while choosing plastic containers we must be cautious of its quality. It is better to use bottles made out of food grade plastic. You can see a number written at the bottom of the container that denotes its quality. Usually food ingredient storage containers should be 5 and above and you can also find cheap PET bottle which is a real hazard to our health. For example bottles being used for mineral water. The are a use and throw kind of plastic and not meant for reuse.

So even if food grade plastic containers are costly I think it's wise to invest money on it as for something like a kitchen storage they are for a life time. If you have no budget for a brand like Tupperware there are cheap brands available in Amazon.

9. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    There are lots of plastic containers in the mall of various sizes. In our place, it is easy for us to find those containers. If you are looking for a cheap but seems to be durable, you may buy those containers for vegetable oil in bulk. Or you may contact the bakers, for sure, they have lots of empty big plastic containers for as I have mentioned used to store the various ingredients for baking.

10. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the information on various types of plastic, @luckycharm@luckycharm. Good info. No one wants to put dangerous products into their home.

I'm actually looking for larger containers. Does the "anything over 5" recommendation still apply or is that more geared toward food grade plastic containers?

Hmmm. I'm not sure bakery buckets would be large enough for what I'm looking for currently, but they sure might come in handy for other things. Thanks for the idea. I've heard of lots of people using these, especially if they can get them with lids intact. They don't usually cost much either, if you can find someplace that just wants to get rid of them. Now, I'll be scouring bakeries for buckets, ha ha. :p

11. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    My bro stores his clothes in large plastic containers with lids, they can be bought in Ace Hardware. I also noticed that he stores his clothes in a large drawer, like the drawer is around 5 feet tall, and he puts his undies in there along with his other clothes and items, so you might want to check it out.

12. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I use plastic containers of various sizes and shapes with air tight lid covers. That way I can store all food items plus opened biscuits and other snacks packets without worrying about ants.

I buy them from a nearby dollar store so that I get at a cheaper price and they last very long anyways.