Which are the cheapest capital cities to visit in europe?

Discussion in Travel started by maxsant • Jul 17, 2012.

1. maxsant

maxsantNew Member

Threads:
    If you want to visit a city for a weekend, which would be the best in terms of value for money? I'm talking about food, accommodation, travel, the whole works.

2. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    I've travelled around Europe quite a bit, and I found Budapest (the capital of Hungary) by far one of the best capital cities in Europe. There is plenty to see and do; the options for accommodation is vast - right from B&B and 2-5 star hotels to ideally located, full-furnished apartments. I chose to live in a large apartment right in the centre of the city, close to all modes of transport. And that's another thing about Hungary - the modes of transport are plentiful. Trams, buses, underground and so well networked. Language isn't a problem either. Almost everyone communicates in English. Restaurants are aplenty - ranging from fast food joints to classier, more expensive restaurants. All in all, I found the sight-seeing cots, accommodation and flights quite affordable.

3. tulosai

tulosaiActive Member

Threads:
    I second Budapest. Prague (if you count the Czech Republic as part of Europe) is also fantastically priced. Amsterdam isn't bad if you are willing to stay a bit outside the city center. Really though you can make any city work if you are willing to eat mainly at small sandwich places and stay at hostels or use couchsurfing.

You should definitely go when you can- Europe is just AMAZING.

4. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    If you're prepared to stray out of the city centre for accommodation and food, you can find cheap places in any city, so do your research before you leave. The Rough Guides series are good for putting you on to the bargains. The capital cities of Eastern Europe are likely to be cheaper to stay in and get around, but nobody should visit Europe without taking in London. There's something to suit everyone, whatever their budget. The museums are free entry, and there are some great travel deals on the bus and underground network. Eat in pubs outside the city centre and you'll get good food at great prices - J. D. Wetherspoon have great offers on food and drink.

5. Magic Pixel

Magic PixelMember

Threads:
    Probably Berlin. It's a great city in every possible way but surprisingly affordable...I remember a Schnabel exhibition some years back I saw in Germany. :) Also Budapest, Hungary. Great city with great views, sense of history and romance. Then there's Istanbul, Turkey and Croatia.

6. supergirl

supergirlMember

Threads:
    Budapest! Although the price is going up every time we visit, as is the way with inflation. No where that is currently part of the Euro is particularly cheap to visit and I recommend avoiding them if you are on a budget. Most of the eastern European countries and dirt cheap to visit and travel around.