Which Are Your Favorite Vegetables And Do You Grow Them?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by luckycharm • Dec 29, 2016.

1. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    I am a vegetarian and grow almost all vegetables in the backyard. We only buy potato and onions from open market. I grow all necessary vegetables for us that includes tomato, okra, brinjal, curry leaf, drumstick, peas, tapioca, chilly and a lot more. I takes me half to one hour ever day to take care of them. I have to spend more time in rainy seasons due to pests.

I think we can save a lot of money growing vegetables and it is also a good exercise for us.

Do you grow your favorite vegetables at home?

2. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    Wow! Someday I would like to have my own backyard full of vegetables but for now my building doesn't allow that luxury. So I am satisfied with a pot-planted green chillies.

Soon I am planning to add coriander and perhaps tomatoes.

3. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    We never grow vegetables at home. We grow them in our small backyard. It is my wife who does all the gardening. She has a bitter gourd, papaya, onion bulbs. I have tried planting celery but it didn't grow. When we want that vegetable, we buy it from the open market especially during our market day which is Saturday.

4. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The vegetables I grow in my backyard garden is meant as a novelty. Yes, it is for our consumption but on a small scale only. Take for example the native spinach, it seems to taste much better than what we can buy in the market (although I know that is only psychological). I have ginger, lemon, pepper, sweet potato, squash, gourd and some other vegetables depending on the season. Most of the times, our neighbors would ask for some vegetables in my garden and even if they offer to pay, I would always decline. Having vegetables in my garden is a passion for me and not really for profit.

5. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Unfortunately no for we don't have our own land to grow vegetables. I've a small little potted plants of herbs like aloe and broad leaf plantain only growing in our tiny apt. backyard. Water is included with our apt., so we are careful when we use our water. We recycle our water that we give to our little garden from our sink. We catch the water run off when we wash dishes or rinse things and it is enough for our small garden to flourish. We buy from supermarkets or open markets that's around town. We also go to Chinatown for fresh produce too. It's cheaper and just as fresh as the farmer's market at Chinatown. I find the quantity I need for our small family at Chinatown. Wish we could have our own garden too.

6. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    It is a great idea to have our own vegetable and fruit garden as it saves a great amount of money. Unfortunately the houses here have shared backyards so anyone can pass through and destroy the plans so I much rather not even start it. Hopefully someday I will live at a house with a fence to start.

7. efrain silva

efrain silvaMember

Threads:
    I have tried to grow my own vegetables in both my own front yard and my own back yard, but never been successful past a few here and there. The problems include: weather, rabbits and squirrels, and even skunks. Plus, the neighbors' dogs are always messing things up for us here, which is sad...

8. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    I envy you guys who grow your vegetables because living in an apartment I cannot do that. I do feel the difference when I spend some time at my in-laws, who also grow their own food, and I immediately feel with more energy. Nothing like home producing, it's far better than anything we can buy.

9. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    My favorite vegetables are onion and tomato (fruit?) I don't know. Either way, the only vegetables I grow are the ones that are needed to add flavor to food with. I use those a lot and it saves me tons of money growing my own. I don't have time to grow others, though and be maintaining them. They also taste better like that.

#9Jan 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  10. Binu

BinuActive Member

Threads:
    Cauliflower and potato are my favorite vegetables. I grow these vegetables. I also grow green leafy vegetables such as spinach, cabbage, tomato, beans etc. I grow just about 50 percent of the vegetables requirements.

11. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I know that I might be in the minority here but I love broccoli, and I would love to be able to grow my own, but that would be too much for me at this point. That would sure cut down on costs though.

12. CCarpenter

CCarpenterNew Member

Threads:
    My favorites would have to be onion, tomato and kale. Although I think tomato is technically classified as a fruit, so is pizza also a fruit salad, but I digress. I grow my own tomatoes and onions in the backyard, as well as some oranges, avocados and limes (the limes don't always come out great). I agree with you on the fact that we can save a lot more money growing our own veggies, and I've always used it as time to step back and assess things. It helps me avoid being caught up in social media all the time.

13. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    Some of my favorites are cherry tomatoes,new zealand spinach,basil,and any kind of peppers,do really well in my hot and humid climate. Mesclun salad greens which are baby greens that are harvested, do well in the fall and spring.
    These are usually leafy salad greens,dandelion,arugula,spinach and mache. The word Mesclun,comes from the south of france region known as Provence and means "mixture" and originated with farmers around Nice,that would bring their prized mix of baby greens to the farmers markets.

#13Mar 24, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  14. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    We are also vegetarian and fond of growing our own vegetables. In fact, my wife has developed a liking for hobby gardening therefore spends hours taking care of them. She has converted every possible part of front, backyard as vegetable growing area. Recently she used the back of our rooftop for growing different vegetables etc in poly-bags and old pots. She has a number of vegetables like tomato, eggplant, bitter gourd, Chili, beans etc.

15. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not fond of growing vegetables or fruits or planting in general, but my dad does like to plant trees. I know we have mango, kalamansi, guava, but I don't know the rest of the plants. It is indeed a good way to live healthy and save money at the same time.

16. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @moneymania@moneymania I agree, It all depends on your interest and availability of space to develop an interest for gardening especially the plants which need lot of your attention. Most vegetable plants are short lived and delicate which require your constant attention like small babies before giving you fruits. As far bigger trees is concerned you plant them once and they grow on their own with very little care of them.

#16Apr 3, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2017
  17. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    @Ray1@Ray1, I agree with what you said, although trees can also be a nuisance at times because during typhoons the trees can fall and the choices that you have are either to cut it or to make it stand on it's own again by tying some string on it.

18. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @

and that's why I said it all depends on one's interest in plants and trees. You have to take care constantly of smaller plants and bigger trees need pruning and proper maintenance from time to time. If you can do that you get good results which compensate for your hard work. And the savings you do is an added attraction.

19. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    @Ray1@Ray1, That's true, and actually, watering the plants during summertime can be a hassle for those that work, so the plants get wilted during that time of the month easily if the owner did not water it for 2 to 3 days. So if you ask me, I would not want to take care of flowers or trees since it will add to my list of things to do, and I have no time for it.

20. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I enjoy eating different varieties of vegetables including those that have mucilage when squeezed. Depending on the food I have my kind of vegetable preferences. I like spinach for stew prepared to eat rice or potatoes.
    Vegetables are highly needed by the body to fix the required micronutrients there. They are rich in iron and also help in blood production.