Which Bread Spreadables Save Money?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Athanas • Oct 27, 2017.

1. Athanas

AthanasActive Member

Threads:
    In my country, many people prefer margarine as their main bread spreadable. This is because it is cheap and easily available. It is also common and many people know hot to use it. Few prefer butter. In terms of cost and value, is there any other bread spreadable that is better than margarine and butter?

2. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer making my own spread. For a low price I can mass produce different spreads from Jelly, Jam ,peanut butter to liver pate. There are so many spread recipes on Youtube. Though home made is a lot of work, The quantity and quality is just better.

3. Athanas

AthanasActive Member

Threads:
    I think I will have to watch one video on how to manufacture bread spreadable at home. It is very interesting. The fact that home made spreadable is higher in quality, I have to try it. I am also sure since I will use my own ingredients, it is relatively cheaper. I will have to create time and see if I can produce one.

4. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love to have peanut butter & jellies on my toast and soda crackers. I have found my neighborhood market Marukai Wholesale Mart has cottage cheese with pineapple for the least amount when not on sale for just 3.19 for 16 oz. Not on sale pineapple cottage cheese is usually 3.99. Sales are weekly for Safeway, Ralphs, CVS, Walgreens and people have been posting about their dollar stores in their neighborhood that carries food too. (don't know if they got spreads, but if you like window shopping to explore you could find bargains there I believe!) All the stores have online ads weekly. Our local supermarkets got weekly ads so I check online for them and I shop accordingly. These sales include from time to time spreads! Even sugar free spreads go on sale, but is usually less ounce for the sale price. You'll save money and enjoy your spreads. When you want spreads when they are not on sale, exploring Walmart's shelves you'll find prices and selections that are so good pricing. You'll save money and enjoy spreads either way.

5. mildredtabitha

mildredtabithaActive Member

Threads:
    There are so many things to spread on bread. Margarine, jam(zesta) and peanut butter. Those are the ones I have ever used. Margarine is widely used and seems to be the cheapest.

For me, I like spreading avocado on my bread. This method is obviously cheap but I love the taste of avocado on my bread. You can also slice some tomatoes and place between two slices of bread. You don't have to purchase margarine all the time. You can combine some few items in the kitchen like the ones I mentioned and you will enjoy your breakfast.

I sometimes can boil an egg and cut the pieces and place between two slices of bread. You can also apply raw egg on you bread and fry the bread for some minutes. I like this little combinations more than using processed fats like margarine.

6. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I find margarine and butter too oily and use them mainly to sauté vegetables. Other spreadables cost basically the same if you buy them in larger packaging. Some of our favorites are jams made from yam, coconut, mango, pineapple, and strawberry. The adults in our family do enjoy liver spread while the younger ones can have condensed milk as spread. We can save a lot, however, by buying delicious bakery products that don't require spread. Banana bread/cake and bread pudding costs even less than white bread. Likewise, our favorite local bread is tasty enough to be consumed on its own. Some would just dip this bread in coffee before eating.

7. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    I have stopped using the normal butter but use peanut butter which has no cholesterol. I buy it online. I did have issues with some brands. I have now recently bought a new brand and am waiting for its arrival.

8. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    These are some spread recipes you can find on Youtube and they were very easy to do. You can make more jars at home so it is a long term supply.

Home made peanut butter:

This Jam recipe can be used for any fruit that is abundant in your area. Just replace the apples with what is available:

I love liver Pate and livers are very cheap and affordable:

The recipe above asks for chicken liver but I use pork liver because its cheaper and bigger. So I can mass produce.​