Which Chore Do You Dread Doing The Most?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Theo • Jan 21, 2015.

1. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, I don't iron because I am really bad at it, but my most hated chore is cleaning the toilet and defrosting the freezer. Both have to be done properly and are always messy. I don't mind cleaning, but I like to clean as I go along and not let things build up like limescale and oven residue, but it does.

Would you pay someone to do your most hated tasks? Is it worth it?

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I hate laundry and dishes.

With laundry, it's just such a long process and as soon as it's done washing/drying, I still have to deal with hanging, folding, ironing, etc. If I don't, then it's a long back and forth process of turning on the dryer again to try to dewrinkle some, but then forgetting again.... I just hate it.

And dishes, even though I have a dishwasher, I hate unloading and loading it.

3. Bright7

Bright7Active Member

Threads:
    I hate doing the dishes. It is absolutely my least favorite chore of them all. I don't mind cooking at all, but I just loathe to clean up all the pots, pans and dishes. We don't have a dishwasher, so we have to do the dishes by hand. Doing the dishes is definitely not my idea of a good time.

4. Webene

WebeneMember

Threads:
    Doing repetitive tasks and chores can be considered relaxing for some people, especially if you are in a low stress environment. Most chores such as laundry and cleaning are relatively infrequent, so it isn't too much of a hassle if you have some free time. Other daily chores like washing dishes can be annoying, but it doesn't take that long and can be seen as some time to reflect.
    The chore I dread doing comes under cleaning, although it is specifically cleaning out spider webs from outdoor areas of the house. There's always a little paranoia that the insects are on you!

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't mind doing the dishes as I like to make sure everything is clean. I hate doing other peoples dishes and pans though when they leave food or don't scrape the pan or soak it. I find it necessary but therapeutic the same as putting my laundry away. I do hate putting out the rubbish though and get that done as quickly as possible.

6. happyshopper

happyshopperActive Member

Threads:
    The chore I dread the most is cleaning the toilet but it has to get done so I just do it. If I had all the money in the world then I think maybe I would hire a maid to work on the chores I don't really like. I feel it will be worth it especially if your so busy that there is no way you can get it done or for some other reason. I don't mind cleaning the toilet though and I don't complain when I do it.

7. LitoLawless

LitoLawlessActive Member

Threads:
    I really dislike cleaning my room. I am perfectly fine with having clothes just thrown all over the place, but sometimes I have company over. Unless it's my best friend that is coming over, I feel the need to clean up beforehand.

8. globulon

globulonMember

Threads:
    I don't know why, but vacuuming seems like such a pain. As far as chores go, it's a fairly easy one but just something I dread to do. I even don't mind scrubbing down the toilet!

9. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I really hate cleaning the oven which is why I only do two maybe three times per year. Running a close second is cleaning the bathroom. When I was living alone, I didn't mind cleaning the bathroom. Now that I have roommates, I dread when it's my turn to clean it. Some people are just slobs.

10. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I really dislike cleaning up the kitchen after someone that has cooked and made a royal mess using all the dishes, even splashes on the wall and pots and pans in the kitchen and just leaves the mess. The food is good but cleaning up that mess just rubs me the wrong way. I feel that you should clean as you cook, clean up your mess as you make it.

11. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    My most dreaded chore comes after enjoying a meal I worked hard to cook, and then My stomach is full and I am a bit groogy, and I have to get up and clean the kitchen! I just want a maid at that time. I have to attack right away to be able to accomplish it. Then, it seems to take me forever to get the kitchen to the standard I want it at. I am a bit of a perfectionist. This is my most challenging chore, and it comes daily.

12. SweetMamaKaty

SweetMamaKatyActive Member

Threads:
    Just one? :p For me, the worst part is folding the laundry and putting it away. My machines are modern and actually kind of fun to use. I don't even mind hauling baskets (though a laundry chute would be nice). There's just something about the time it takes to sort, fold, and put it away that I don't enjoy.

I have recently started doing one part differently than I used to. I used to just pile everything from the dryer into a basket and carry it upstairs. Now, I take each piece out individually, turning things right-side-out again and matching the socks as I fill the basket. This breaks the job down a little bit, and the basket is quicker to get through when I have the time later. It's also easier to find a matching pair of socks if I don't get back to it soon enough, haha!

I appreciate the idea of viewing chores as therapeutic, that's a really different concept for me to consider!

13. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    My most dreaded chore is cooking. I really don't like cooking and I have no interest of learning. Just let me do other chores except cooking. But it doesn't mean that I didn't try to learn how to cook. I've tried several times, but it wasn't successful as I hoped it would be. I'd rather be doing the dishes, do the laundry or clean rather than cook.

14. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I hate washing the utensils that are under the sink full of dishes because I've been cut before by a surprise knife that was lurking under the soapy water.

15. klassiter

klassiterActive Member

Threads:
    It is hard for me to think of one chore that I dread doing because there are so many that I dread. I guess if I have to think of one it would be cleaning the bathroom. I dread cleaning the bathroom, especially the toilet. I really wish I had the money to hire someone to clean the house. I find it easier to stay on top of my chores by doing something everyday.

16. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Do ng the dishes would be my most hated chore. I dislike having to stand in front of the sink for hours and also having my hand and skin be all messed up by all the constant soap and water. It helps that now I have an ipad to keep me company while I do the dishes at least but I still find it to be a huge chore and it's why I try and minimize my kitchen utility usage as much as I can whenever I cook.

17. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I despise cleaning my oven out. It's one of the things I dread the most, especially when I am moving out of an apartment and it needs to be super clean for me to get my deposit back. I always get worried about that because I can never seem to get it 100% clean. Plus the fumes are so hideously awful I can barely stand it while I am scrubbing it out. Not to mention, it makes a total mess of my towels so I end up having to throw them out.

I stupidly went through a phase where I was baking buffalo wings, and BBQ ribs in my oven constantly, and of course these splatter grease everywhere, so my oven was especially bad inside at one apartment I lived in. I'm half tempted to just get a big but inexpensive toaster oven for that type of stuff so I can just throw it out once it gets too bad.

I also hate cleaning my floors. One apartment I live in had those peel & stick floor tiles, which were a constant magnet for shoe stains. It was like the black soles of my shoes would leave black film all over my floors that I needed Amonia to remove. That was also a pain to do since it stunk as well.

18. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I hate cleaning anything that involves me climbing up a ladder or onto a chair, such as overhead fans or the tops of cupboards.

19. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I hate cleaning the fridge and the stove. I don't mind all the other jobs. I actually quite like doing the ironing, I find it quiet and therapeutic. One tip I'll share is to get all the jeans and towels out of the way first. Once these are done, the ironing pile will seem much smaller.

20. Flowerpower

FlowerpowerMember

Threads:
    I hate all chores equally. Washing the dishes, laundry, ironing, cleaning out the fridge and mopping up; I really wish I could afford to pay someone to clean my house, but as it is I just grit my teeth and get on with it.