Which do you prefer - Wal-Mart Super Center or the Super Market/Grocery Stores

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by AutumnFaith2012 • Apr 24, 2013.

1. AutumnFaith2012

AutumnFaith2012Member

Threads:
    OK, Wal-Mart super centers and Wal-Marts with a grocery section (but not as big as the super center) are taking over the U.S. Personally, I prefer shopping at the grocery store and super market chains even if they cost more. I've been to the Super Wal-Mart with friends and have had to use their grocery section in towns that don't have regular markets. The prices are cheap, but the quality is not that great. Their fish products come from China along with most everything else. I've purchased some of their fruit, i.e., grapes and there were spider webs in the bag and goodness knows where the spider was! I just don't like the cleanliness or the quality and the selection is not as big as the local super markets.

What are your thoughts? Is Wal-Mart SuperCenter better then the grocery store/supermarket? Which do you prefer?

2. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    I'd never buy food from Wal Mart no matter how low priced it was. Give me my local chain supermarket, or Pathmark, Shop Rite, or Grastides any day. I think buying food from Wal Mart, is as dangerous as buying hot dogs from the local dollar store!

3. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:

I like grocery stores a lot better than going to walmart super center because I found going to a supermarket or grocery store is a lot cheaper and their produce are a lot fresher than walmart

4. InsomniacGirl

InsomniacGirlNew Member

Threads:
    I tend to shop at Wal-Mart frequently as it's close by. I mainly go food shopping there but have come increasingly dismayed at their fresh fruits which sometimes aren't that fresh, or have bugs on them. One time there were so many fruit flies buzzing around a display of 'fresh' cherries, I immediately notified the manager, who looked at me as if I were an idiot. I do buy clothing there and gifts on occasion, but in general, I think I will be favoring a regular grocery store from now on. :)

5. schomeearnings

schomeearningsBanned

Threads:
    I have to say, that Walmart SuperCenter, is a great place to get a lot of things, however, I love their meat quality, but it is so expensive to me. I like going to my local Super Markets where they offer pick 5 selections, that allows you to get 5 packs of meat, no matter how expensive they are for $19.95+taxes. I have to say I love purchasing my meat in bulks, that way I don't have to keep going back and forth to the stores. I cannot take away from the fact that I feel Walmart Meat is beautiful, and that maybe just what make it so expensive is the good quality of it. I have broken down several times to get some nice pork chops and even ground turkey from Walmart, but overall I love my local Super Markets.

#5Apr 25, 2013
    Last edited: May 14, 2013
  6. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    Wow, you must really trust your local wal mart to buy meat from there. If a Wal Mart ever came to New York, I couldn't buy meat from there. Snickers bars? Sure but not meat, or milk, or even chips. I am traditional. I grew up with my parents shopping at supermarkets for food. And when I got out on my own, that way of thinking just stuck with me I guess.

7. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I've been to a few of the Wal-Mart super centers in my area for groceries. It's somewhat convenient, but I find the prices to be sort of hit or miss. There are still items on my shopping lists that I can get cheaper elsewhere, so I'm careful to avoid just buying them there out of laziness. Also, their produce across the board is generally bad. Their selection on everything else is surprisingly good though. I can often find ingredients such as cojita cheese, or some kind of asian condiment, etc... that some of the larger chain grocery stores near me don't even carry.

8. AutumnFaith2012

AutumnFaith2012Member

Threads:
    I have to agree, I would never buy meat from WalMart...I just don't trust their quality. I've had to buy ground beef from them before (because they were the only place in the middle of nowhere), but I wasn't too thrilled about using it and the taste was not great at all. I pick up chips on occasion and other snack foods. But NEVER milk or dairy products of any kind. The prices (if you buy WalMart brand) are cheaper, but you get what you pay for and it's just not worth it when it comes to food!

9. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I like to go to my supermarket over Walmart any day. They have better deals, fresher produce and I am not sure how well Walmart employees are handling the produce. I also don't like supporting Walmart because of the way they treat their employees.

10. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The Walmart in our town seems to have pretty good food, and prices are all right also. If I am at Walmart for something else, and need something from the grocery part, then I will shop there. I have noticed that Walmart does not seem to have as good of markdown on sales as some of the other stores do, though, so I usually shop at my regular stores on Tuesday or Wednesday to get the clearance sales on produce, and other perishable foods.
    Walmart does have a good selection of the large size and bulk items, so I get anything that I need the large size container of, at Walmart usually.
    The main thing about a Walmart, is that they carry such a variety, that you can go there and pretty much find about anything you need, in any category, from hardware to plants to groceries, and get it all at one store, and for a good price.

11. ozadin

ozadinActive Member

Threads:
    Local grocery stores is what I choose.
    They just have a bigger stock since more people seem to go to Walmart since it's a big name and people want to shop there.
    I'm satisfied with my local grocery store.

12. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer 99 Cents Only for grocery shopping to be honest. Although I don't technically have a Walmart close by in my neighborhood. But to be perfectly honest I'm not sure I would go there for all my grocery shopping even if I did. I think I would still prefer my local grocery chain and of course 99 cents only for grocery shopping. That's to say that I wouldn't head to Walmart to compare some of their prices with the grocery chain to see if I could save on some items. However, since I don't have one nearby this issue has never really come up for me.

13. ami560

ami560Member

Threads:
    I don't have a Wal-Mart super store near me, but my local store does sell a few groceries, and as others have said it really is a hit or miss situation. Right now, my store doesn't have the infrastructure in place to properly store the few produce items it sells, so wouldn't trust it in the least. My local target, though, has really revamped their store and has gotten a whole new grocery section that wasn't their before, and we occasionally buy stuff when we see its on sale and is unlikely to have gone bad. For example, bananas don't usually get moldy as easily as berries or grapes, and because of the thick outer skin they don't absorb as many pesticides, so we may get them every now and then. Mostly, though, I shop at places like Wal-Mart and Target for frozen food and snacks like chips, which are easy enough to handle and store that they probably won't go bad while on the shelf.

14. cmilliken

cmillikenMember

Threads:
    I prefer the Wal-Mart super centers. They literally have everything. Also, the prices are so cheap I save so much money shopping there over other stores.

15. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    I like grocery stores a lot more, mostly because i have one right beside my house, and i know the people that manage it, so we can always have a nice conversation when i go there, and the service is much better.

16. MrsR

MrsRMember

Threads:
    We usually buy our fresh meats at a local grocery store instead of Walmart. It tastes better plus Walmart has gotten ridiculously high on their meat prices. We will occasionally buy lunchmeat there, but we always check the date because the stock isn't always rotated like it should be. We only have one grocery store and a Dollar Store besides Walmart in our town, so we don't have much of a choice. I wish we had a Save-A-Lot or some other kind of grocery store to go to.

17. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer grocery stores without question...and honestly will not buy much food at walmart overall.

18. schomeearnings

schomeearningsBanned

Threads:
    It is so nice to see how many people still like our local Grocery Stores. It's those stores that keep our community thriving. I like going to Walmart for somethings, but not everything. Although they do have everything.

19. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    I really like shopping at my local grocery stores. I like Food Lion and IGA, then I stop at the Family Dollar or Dollar General because they are usually cheaper on things like paper towels, toilet paper, cleaning supplies, etc. than the grocery stores. Although it involves making two stops, I definitely prefer it over going to Walmart, which is something that I have been trying to avoid as much as possible lately.

20. ReishiSpore

ReishiSporeMember

Threads:
    I would choose local grocery stores. We don't have Walmart's here, but from what I have seen the quality of the products and food is quite poor. It is great if people are on a tight budget, but in terms of quality, local grocery stores are far more worthwhile shopping at than a big supermarket like Walmart.