Which Fat Or Oil Do You Use To Cook Your Food?

Discussion in Product Reviews started by remnant • Jul 24, 2016.

1. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Well I would say that it just depends, although I do know that I always have to have olive oil and canola oil on hand. If we are doing fondue, though, then I need to go buy some peanut oil, but that is more of a one or two times a year thing. I would say mostly canola oil, just because those are for the quick and easy meals, but I would like to think that I can branch out a little more. Thanks for sharing.

2. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oil IS fat.. it's all fat lol. Personally, I dry fry or use water. Frying ruins the flavour for me and coats the mouth and it's just not healthy. It's been so long now it just grosses me out when I eat something that's been cooked in oil. I appreciate my food too much to coat it like that and I enjoy my youthful arteries lol.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    To be honest, I really had no idea which kind of cooking oil I'm using, so I had to google the brand to find out. It turns out that I'm using coconut oil. It's the cheapest one available over here too.

4. bms00

bms00Member

Threads:
    I like Walmart's Great Value brand olive oil for cooking. I would not serve it at the table but it's fine for cooking. I remember reading about a test a while back where the writers determined that over half of "extra virgin olive oil" was not really extra virgin, but Walmart's brand was one of a few that passed the test. Usually the only time I use butter is for making eggs.

5. abonnen

abonnenActive Member

Threads:
    I really don't cook a lot with oil, but when I do I use a variety of oil, olive, or vegetable, I really like using lard but I will only use it if I have it on hand. I also use crisco but just to oil my pans.

6. cardinals27

cardinals27New Member

Threads:
    I use all kinds of oils to cook my food. My favorite oil is probably vegetable oil, but there are so many different kinds of oils that are healthy. It also depends on what you are cooking. If I want to deep fry something like some fish I use canola oil. I feel like it is the best for the job. I saw some people talking about using avocados as a oil replacement and I think that it sounds pretty cool too and I think I might try it.

7. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    I use all different kinds of oils to cook with. It depends on the dish being cooked as to what I would use, though. Given the choice, I would use the best quality but I'm not always able to do that. I use Extra virgin olive oil on salads and some light cooking, whereas I would add palm oil to a curry to lush it up. I roast with sunflower oil but use goose fat to roast with at Christmas. I like to use beef dripping for yorkshires and the roast potatoes when I have them with beef.

8. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I only use vegetable oil for frying and butter or margarine for sauteing. I know that there are health benefits in other oils mentioned but the cost is more than I care to spend even with a coupon. Maybe I can check out one of the dollar stores and compare prices if some of the healthier oils are on the shelves.

9. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    Most of the time, I use extra virgin olive oil to cook with, that's my main go-to. I also use coconut oil, and butter. I mainly add the butter for flavor; sometimes certain foods need a little bit of butter added to them for the food to taste right to me.

Recently I have found that the coconut oil that I use adds a bit of a sweet taste to things, and sometimes that is not the taste that I'm looking for in certain foods.

Certain olive oils don't taste "olive-y" to me, only oily, so I always try to make sure that I have a good quality olive oil on hand at all times.

10. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I try to use the healthier oils like coconut oil and pure olive oil. I think that getting these healthy oils at a great price point is what I like to do. The problem with olive oil is that there are only a few brands that have real olive oil, alot of it is just oil that is mislabled and is not real olive oil. Check who has real olive oil before you buy.

11. Aree Wongwanlee

Aree WongwanleeActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't used any kind of cooking oil for a long time. That's mainly because I don't like to fry my food. I cook soups most of the time. And I add meat to my soup. So the fat in the meat is enough for me.

12. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use different oils depending on the purpose. As mentioned above, I use extra virgin olive oil for salads. I do have coconut oil here, and I use that for occasional cooking, as well as healing of wounds. I also keep vegetable oil on hand, and if I'm cooking with meat, I simply cook that first, then use the oil/fat leftover to cook the rest of the meal, although if there's too much, I'll drain some and either save it for later or discard it.

13. biege

biegeActive Member

Threads:
    Aside from Coconut being abundant in our Country, I use it virtually with any dishes I'm cooking. If I'm making hand pulled noodles and use coconut oil as well. The best thing about coconut is that it can withstand extreme heat and it doesn't affect the overall taste of the food. One of the things I like about cooking with Coconut oil is the health benefits you get from Lauric Acid.

14. Working Buck

Working BuckActive Member

Threads:
    I depends on what I cook.Like for instance I need to deep fry some chicken or pork, I use Vegetable oil. But if I just need a little bit of oil just to cook garlic and onions, I usually use Canola oil for that. If I'm going to use a little bit of pork for a vegetable dish, what I do is boil the small bits of pork with a little bit of water and I let the pork produce its own oil. that's the oil I use to saute the garlic and the onion. But sometimes, I use butter instead of Oil.

15. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I do not like cooking with fat because of the high level of cholesterol. Instead I use refined vegetable oil certified to be good for the heart and zero cholesterol. I am not bothered by the relative high cost of these oil. I wouldn't like a substance that can be a predisposing factor to cholesterol build up in the vessels.

#35Oct 12, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  16. biscione95

biscione95New Member

Threads:
    I usually use extra virgin oil for food like pasta, rice or some vegetables, because I think it's the best oil for quality and nurturing fat ratio; sometimes I also cook with sunflower oil, but only when I fry something. In general I tend to prefer oil than butter, less saturated fat and more healthy!! ;)

17. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    I love olive oil on everything and its great for cooking as well,and you can use it at high heats for cooking. I also like it on salads with some salt,and it really brings the taste of vegetables out. Also its a very healthy oil ,as most people know and a good source of the omega-3 fatty acids. The painter Cezanne used to take his favorite olive oil and wine with him,when he was a guest for dinner at other peoples houses in Provence France,which is interesting.

#37Apr 14, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  18. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I use sunflower or palm oil to cook. These are affordable and also healthy.

I try to avoid fried foods except once a week. I know olive oil is probably the best but I still feel that it is quite expensive for family use. A single person can use it but for a lot of cooking it may not be cost effective.

19. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I have actually been turned onto grapeseed oil here recently and it is pretty good. I am not sure that I will go on to use it as much as I am not but it is nice to have another alternative to olive oil.

20. Jessika

JessikaActive Member

Threads:
    Butter or sometimes vegetable oil for stir frys and the like. Olive oil gets good and healthy results, but it is so expensive I only buy it when it is on special offer.