Which genres in movies do you enjoy watching the most?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by ExpertAdvice • Sep 12, 2014.

1. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    What movies genre do you enjoy watching the most and why? do you enjoy watching movies based on true events more than when you watch a movie with a fictional, action, comedy,horror, or drama theme?

I really enjoy watching movies based on true events rather than "made up" movies as it allows me to really travel back in time in my mind and experience what others experienced, it also gives me somewhat of a better understanding of what not to do in a particular situation and what to do! Somehow, because the movie is based on true events, I seem to be more captivated by the thought of getting to see what others really went through rather than what a fictional movie may bring.

2. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I pretty much enjoy all movie genres as long as the movie is good. I don't have one favorite in particular but I can say that I never really liked Romantic flicks, I'd watch any movie genre except romance.

3. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My favorite movies are in the Comedy genre and Martial Arts genre. I love a good comedy, like Office Space, Step Brothers, or Blades of Glory. As for Martial Arts, I love Iron Monkey and Shaolin Soccer. That's just what fits my aesthetic, though.

4. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have always had a special liking for psychological thrillers. I like intricate, strange and bizarre concepts that, when put into a certain perspective, make perfect sense. Ingmar Bergman is one of my favourite directors.
    I also enjoy noir thrillers, always marvelling at how special effects were achieved in days gone by, relying solely on clever camera work and music.

5. ExpertAdvice

Threads:
    Gotcha! Totally understand! I admire a movie that can really stand out because the plot is well thought-out, and the message of the movie inspires me. Sometimes, when I'm trying to pick a favorite genre, it becomes difficult, because like you, I believe in the quality of a movie being great, the actors being great, the script and effects being great, and so on and so forth.
    It's really good that you don't allow "the need to narrow your favorite type of movie down to a genre" affect your choice, which is to believe in quality!
    Good job, true movie-lover!

6. ExpertAdvice

Threads:
    That's awesome ACSAPA, that you have this balance between comedy and martial arts in terms of your liking for movies!

Do you know of any good movies that have both? Meaning a martial arts movie that's also a comedy? What inspires your liking for these genres? I'm certainly intrigued, but can understand, from the surface, that martial arts movies contain a thrill of action, mystery and well-timed victory by the central or favored characters!
    As for comedies, they're great as well! They cause us to "fall to pieces" laughing at the well-timed humor!
    So what inspires your love of these particular genres? I'd love to know!

7. ExpertAdvice

Threads:
    Ahhh! I see, you are a lover of "the old and classic", which is super-admirable! Good job! I, too, enjoy reveling in the beauty of the past, including camera technique, beautifully-composed-and-sung music, and brilliant acting!
    I know for sure that every time the classic, "Sound of Music", starring Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer airs, I am like a child who cannot be stirred from his delight! Not to mention, the Audrey Hepburn-starring, "My Fair Lady".
    I really do hope that the modern movie-makers will take a lesson or too from the casting, and plot-creating that was intricately carved through by these classic filmmakers, and that they'll even replicate the style in some form. That would be great for all movie-lovers!

8. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You know you can get fed up with bad acting, stupid plots, old stories rehashed . . .

That's why I prefer to watch animations only. From time to time I could watch some other movies, Comedies for example but animations occupy the top spot for me because most of them have everything I need in a movie: some humor and a story which doesn't have to believable. My favorite animation right now is "Monsters Inc." That might change as I watch more movies.

9. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have two clear favorites when it comes to movies: romantic comedies and disaster movies!! Those are very opposite genres, I know. But I really enjoy them because they entertain me the best. I don't have as much patience to sit through a 2 hour movie as I did when I was younger, so these two genres usually get me more excited than the rest.

10. ExpertAdvice

Threads:
    Wow, I have to totally agree with you on that one. I too have found the pleasure in watching animated movies. It really is refreshing to find these movies, that have all you're looking for in terms of a sensible plot that's not necessarily believable, but which is so hilarious! And which often jerks my sympathy nonetheless!
    Also, I find where I'm not able to predict most of the upcoming action at all, no matter how closely I stick to the plot. I dunno if it's because actors get a chance to express "their best acting possible" when they're "behind the scenes", and facial expressions and the like, don't count as much, or they don't feel as though their "acting skills" will be "judged as much", but they somehow tend to do a far better job than when the audience is actually able to see them up-close. I'm not sure what that's about, but I'm slowly drifting back into my love for animated movies for this and perhaps several other reasons, so at least there's that.

My personal favorite, in terms of an animated movie, is the Ice Age movie, along with its sequels. They're ultra cool! And I look forward to more!

11. ExpertAdvice

Threads:
    Lol, that's great! And actually quite understandable. I can relate to that, because these movies give you a mix of refreshing laughter, and then the shock value of unexpected and perhaps unfathomable disaster. It surely is an interesting mix, in terms of your interests, but it somehow makes a great mix!
    Romantic comedies tend to be "light-hearted" and fill our hearts with inspiration and admiration for the lives and happenings of the characters in the movie, and then disaster movies, inspire our empathy and sorrow over the circumstances of the victims in question. They make us clench for hope, along with those in the movie who are doing the same, and they "wake us up" into the reality that perhaps some of these "disasters" (even the Sci-Fi ones), could actually happen one day!

Great mix! I like 'em!

12. wulfman

wulfmanActive Member

Threads:
    These days I enjoy any genre that has a good cast and plot. But I do enjoy comedies more these days as opposed to horror for example. Action like James Bond movies are boring for me now. Kind of like a repeat and rinse sort of thing. I do enjoy the recent onslaught of superhero movies hitting the big screen.

13. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like many different types of movies, some comedy I like but most I do not find as funny some others seem to find them. I also like mysteries like Sherlock Holmes is one of my favorite, syfy is also one genre that I really like etc. Star Trek.

14. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I mostly only watch comedies but I love various "flavors" of comedies.
    Horror movies are either gross or stupid or both. Drama is just too sad for me.

15. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    I love watching Horror movies. Even if it's bad or cheesy I still love them all. I'm a huge Horror buff and every time Halloween season comes in I just decorate my house and still go all insane watching horror movies all night.

16. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I like mysteries and thriller movies, and I'm not particularly fond of Westerns or Sci fi movies. I mostly like it when a movie is playful and whimsical and dislike it when it is boring and bland. I hate it when there are too many unwarranted quiet moments or long drawn out scenes, especially when they just talk about everything.

17. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree with you on that. The Ice Movies are great. Not all of them though. Ice Age and Ice Age 3: Dawn Of the Dinosaurs are the best IMO. Ice Age 2 and Continental Drift were somewhat good in a way but not great. I didn't really like Ellie and the possums in Ice Age 2 and the villain in Continental drift is quite annoying.

18. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree, I watch all kinds of comedies from indie to international, as well as your standard Will Ferrell movies. But I despise horror movies, especially the ones where they torture people and put them through harrowing ordeals, like Hostel and Saw. I wonder if some people who enjoy horror movies have personality disorders, because I can't understand someone casually eating popcorn and enjoying a movie where a Japanese girl is getting her face burned off with a blowtorch.

19. ExpertAdvice

Threads:
    That's great that you really do have an understanding and appreciation for the "stages" that you've been going through, in terms of your liking for the movies of different genres! I find that to be particularly interesting! I definitely have to agree that a good movie is really brought across to the audience as such, largely because of the cast's ability to convince the audience of the veracity and strength of the elements and workings of the plot.
    I also understand your progressing liking of comedy, as opposed to horror movies, and perhaps it is that you've grown used to the same, tired "scare tactics" that have become more or less cliche'. That's good: they can't scare you anymore, lol.

Let's go with the the superhero movies! Avengers? Green Lantern? Hulk? or Guardians of the Galaxy? Let me know!

20. ExpertAdvice

Threads:
    I think I get what you mean Pat. I think that the main problem that is associated with these modern comedy-type movies is that they tend to re-use old material. We've heard it ALL before! It's basically frustrating! We can only laugh at the same joke for so many times! It's like they aren't willing to use the creativity that we, the audience, deserve. We're the ones who are gonna give their productions any "ratings" anyway, so I think they should at least invest the time and effort into researching and establishing new and interesting material. It's the least we could ask.
    As for Sci-Fi movies, I like those options very much as well. To be honest, sometimes I think that the directors go a bit "to the extreme" in trying to "freak us out" with the far-from-reality possibilities. I appreciate the originality and the effort to make a fully engaging plot, but I think they need not to try to "push the envelope" so much so that it appears too unbelievable to even, for a smidgen, be somewhat "believable", if you get what I mean, lol.