Which Kind Of Plates Do You Prefer, Plastic Or Glass?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by sidney • Jan 21, 2016.

1. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you prefer plastic or glass plates? As for me I prefer to use the plastic ones, like right now I'm using plates made by Tupperware. They are lighter to hold and aren't as fragile as glass plates. I think they are cheaper too than glass plates. How about you?

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like ceramic dishes that are microwave safe. Most plastic dishes melt if you try to reheat foods in them, or they get those gross spaghetti sauce stains. Sometimes ceramic dishes break, so I stick to blue and white dishes ,so that even if one breaks and I have to replace it with one that's not an exact match, it still looks like I'm doing the shabby chic intentional mismatched dishes look.

3. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    Plastic dishes have their place. They are good for kids and just people who might not feel confident eating from a glass plate. We have plenty of both plastic and ceramic plates. Although when I can I like to use paper plates to help keep washing dishes so often. It is all in your lifestyle and how it fits you.

4. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:Our home we use Corelle plates. It's durable, microwaveable and light too. I've dropped them on linoleum floors and they did not break! I love them and we got them ages ago.
    Here are some patterns of designs of Corelle plates.
    0007116003358_500X500.
    image from walmart.com.

[​IMG]
    image from

[​IMG]
    image from

Patterns are very beautiful and there is over 2000 patterns of designs of Corelle dishes. Our home loves Corelle dishes.

5. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    OMG! I bought some Corelle plates and loved them, they were durable, unbreakable and very useful, but truly expensive!!!

However, while I have a few Corelle, ceramic, porcelain, glass and clay plates, my favorites are those of plastic and melamine.

People mistakenly believe that plastic dishes are for kids or informal reunions, but plastic comes in different quality grades; Tupperware are high quality and I like the square-shaped in its catalog, but there are many other brands with quality plates, and some which are an alloy of plastic and melamine to improve their durability and shinny finishing.

And, of course, there are cheap plastic dishes, and disposable light-plasticware that serve for multiple purposes.

6. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I was younger when the plastic glass was emerging, my mother bought a set of hard plastic glass, the one called unbreakable. She said it's good for kids because it will not break. But when I married, my husband had forbidden having plastic plates and glasses. He said it is unnatural. He preferred ceramic plates and real crystal glass no matter if it will break when it falls accidentally. Plastic has a chemical, my husband said.

7. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I much prefer microwaveable ceramic, porcelain and clay plates. I can't stand plastic plates, and usually reserve them for the kids when we have guests. I too hate how the grease and colours from sauces stick to the plastic, making them harder to clean. The other thing is, the longer you have them, the longer you put them in the microwave, the higher the chance of them becoming misshapen and ugly! I've never heard of corelle crockery, but I like the look of them. They look ever so pretty, and if they're as durable as people say, even better!

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Corzhens@Corzhens, I did a bit of research and it seems like plastic plates and bottles can be harmful to us. I don't think that the Tupperware plate that I'm using is really made of plastic since it feels and looks different to the other plastic plates that we have, but I will take note of that info nonetheless.

9. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not a fan of plastic at all anymore.. one of the worst inventions. If I use anything disposable, it will be biodegradable.

10. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    As being microwave safe, dishwasher and oven proof are of great importance to me when choosing tableware - my preferences until recently were always porcelain or ceramic - however since discovering vitrelle - which is what the Corelle crockery that Krissttina Isobe uses is made out of - I now much prefer the latter - as not only is it relatively inexpensive to buy - with many very attractive designs to choose from - but as its totally unbreakable and doesn't even chip - even if it accidentally gets dropped on a stone floor - it of course - as its not going to need replacing too often - makes it real value for money too.

Plastic tableware - even though the majority of plastic and melamine crockery sold these days is generally regarded as safe - as it now required to be made of food grade materials that are unlikely to leach any toxins into food - is not something that I've ever been particularly keen on - as apart from the fact that it can't be used in the microwave and quickly develops a very unappealing look as it stains so easily - as it more importantly - also gets scratched extremely easily too - and those scratches can very quickly become a breeding ground for bacteria - I don't consider it to be all that hygienic either.

11. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    Some missing things I would like to add about plastics is that @Corzhens@Corzhens's hubby is right to some extent; plastic has indeed chemical that may harm our health in the long run, but depends much in the use you give to those plates. Companies would be denied its manufacturing otherwise!

And this is it! It's bad thing using plastic dishes for microwaving your meals, even if a fast reheating, unless they are expressly designed for microwave ovens. I have no issues with this because microwave ovens may also be a health hazard, and I got rid of mine about a decade ago, and wouldn't buy another again!

On the other hand, depends on the quality of your plastic plates having grease, sauces and food colors sticking to it; quality plastic and melamine have similar surface than Corelle dishes, hence you don't even need to wash them at all, but using a kitchen towel or napkin do the trick to remove all from their surface without leaving a trace, color or odor left.

Some Tupperware dishes, however, have not this quality and may retain color, particularly when serving food containing tomatoes sauce.

This is why I prefer investing in good plastic/melamine dinnerware, and yet having some plates of other materials because glass, ceramic, porcelain and clay are more suitable when serving certain type of foods.

12. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My husband actually hates plastic glasses because of the taste - he said he can taste the plastic when using plastic drinking glasses. But I agree that plastic is made of chemical and somehow may have an effect on us. There is this chemical called dioxin which is produced when the plastic bottle (or glass) is left under the sun. The water is contaminated and that dioxin is poison.

13. TheLovingLeah

TheLovingLeahActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer plastic stuff over glass stuff. I am way too clumsy to handle glass. But glass can be so pretty, it's so easy to break though haha. I try to avoid breaking it, but it just sometimes happens. I find myself always having something plastic in my hands to eat or drink out of. But I really just use whatever I can use.

14. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer glass plates because they're way easier to wash and clean compared to plastic plates. I noticed that some food particles tend to stick rather well with plastic plates than glass plates and I find it extremely annoying to remove them when I'm washing them. However, I do find it easier to eat on plastic plates because they're lighter than glass plates.

15. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer earthenware as they are easier to clean. Plastic is great for parties, children, and microwaving, but there is not need to use them on a daily basis. My parents prefer plastic despite cupboards of expensive plates, they just think it's easier to clean (but it's not as it gets stained). Eating off a proper plate is much better, but Corelle does smash, it happened when I moved house, so it's not as durable as people think.

16. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I like using paper plates and paper cups the most for some reason. I prefer using plastic utensils too but I know they are not very practical so I just use ceramic plates. I like the pure white ones the most because designs tend to put me off my appetite but if I didn't have much choice then they are not entirely terrible for me either. It helps that they are not too difficult to clean even without a dishwasher because dishwashing soaps nowadays are great as I just put a few drops and leave them for a while and after a few minutes all I basically have to do is wash it off with water.

17. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer glass plates, glasses and even cups. We don't have much place for plastic in our house since we know the world is already full of it. I guess for my son, we still purchase plastic plates but when he's older, we'll transition him to our plates as well. Though it's more delicate to use, glass plates and glasses are more safe than plastic ones. They aren't going to melt when exposed to heat too much. For my son, we purchase BPA free plates because that's the toxic ingredient in plastic plates.

18. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I love my Denby plates. I bought two sets at Costco a few years back. They are so sturdy and well made. They don't chip or break easily and are do durable. They do cost a bit more but if you can find them at Costco, the are priced very reasonably. I was able to get mugs, plates, cereal bowl, side plates for about $100 for a set of eight. I know these will plates will last a long time. My previous dishes didn't last more than 10 years and we kept breaking them of chipping them. Denby is well worth the investment.

19. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    My preference is stoneware and glass (china). I've never really purchased plastic dishes for home but have seen them for parties which is understandable. They are easy to dispose of if you do plan to reuse them. For my grandchildren I use the sandwich plates-a smaller version of the dinner plate to me. They are an easy find at thrift stores along with a variety of designs and shapes.

20. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like drinking tea from a china cup, it seems to make the tea taste better. I like to have paper plates around for quick meals so that the clean up is quick and easy. Stoneware dishes are nice.