Which Online File Storage Is Good To Store Large Files In?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by sidney • Nov 3, 2014.

1. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My pc has been infected with a keylogger that is so hard to remove. So now I want to upload all of my digital files, mostly tv series and movies online before I reformat it. And since I don't have an external hard drive, I'd like to know which online file storage site can you recommend that uploads and downloads files fast and with download resume capability? I don't want to re-download my media files via torrents, since it can take long. Thanks.

#1Nov 3, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  2. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I would go with Dropbox, it gives you a decent amount of storage as a free user, and you can sync your files from the online storage onto your computer/phone seamlessly. Alternatively you could perhaps try Mediafire.

Although please note that if you are uploading pirated content it may definitely lead to trouble.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Really? Thanks for the heads-up, obviously since I got them from torrent sites then they are copyrighted files. I hope they won't get detected and deleted.

4. lucaspm98

lucaspm98New Member

Threads:
    Dropbox has always been my favorite as well. It's as fast as any other cloud storage and really easy to use. I doubt they would bother with your files as long as you aren't sharing them with other people using Dropbox.

5. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    Dropbox is pretty much your option. I've tried it before and it's always been great but I never really tried it with really big files. If you're talking about Gigabytes then almost all file storage sites can be a bit of a bummer if your internet connection is slow. But for the most part I used to upload my large files on Mediafire more than anything and as for torrents, well, don't you need some seeds to be able to download it quick?

6. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know how room you need, but OneDrive would be a good choice. If you have a Microsoft account, it comes with it and the uploading size is pretty generous. The initial Dropbox size may not be large enough for you considering what it is that you want to do.

7. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most cloud storage sites have storage limits for free users. Since you say you have huge files then you'd have to store your files on more than one file storage site. So instead of uploading all your files to one site, you could spread them out: upload some to dropbox, onedrive, mediafire, box, 4shared, etc.

Or if you want to make things easier you can pay a fee and get 1TB storage on dropbox, which happens to be the best in the business.

8. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Well it depends on how big the file is. Most online file storage sites offer a lot of great features and space and it all boils down to how large the file is and how fast your internet is. I would say try out Mediafire or OneDrive.

9. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    Use OneDrive or Dropbox. If you have a Microsoft account, you get access to OneDrive for free and you can share your files with family members or your friends if they also have OneDrive. The free space is enough for me to store some of my large files. Dropbox is a good option, and you can get more storage by following the instructions. There is also the option of using the iCloud if you have an iOS device. I don't remember the size of the storage for each of the service, but if you do some browsing you would be able to find out, and perhaps compare them to find the one that is the best for you.

10. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjayMember

Threads:
    Dropbox is ok for most people. But I've found that Adrive is much more secure than Dropbox or similar sites. Unfortunately, Adrive isn't free. But your files will stay safe and secure with them without fail. You just purchase the amount of space you want and that's pretty much it.

11. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'd recommend DropBox or Google Drive. I have something like 200 GB from Google Drive, although I don't use it for much. You're fine putting copyrighted materials in private cloud storage folders, but you'll be found out immediately if you do so in public and shareable folders. Cloud storage sites track such things through automated systems involving hashing and whatnot.

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yup that's right, and some files are just not that popular, so the seeds are less. It can take several weeks to a month or more before a file finishes downloading, and you have to have your pc on all the time so that when a seeder is online you can benefit from it. So I think uploading my files is the better option.

13. Sly14Cat

Sly14CatActive Member

Threads:
    Well I have a lot of giant files storied in my Google Drive and Dropbox that have been there for at least a year or so, and they're still in the same condition that they were when I uploaded them. So it would probably be a good idea to use one of those two, they give you a lot of space for free and even more if you pay a little (in Dropbox's case). Hope you like those services, Megaupload is pretty good too.

14. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Keep in mind that most ISP's offer much slower upload speeds than download speeds. So trying to upload a ton of stuff may take days, and be much slower than it took you to download it. If possible, you may want to just invest in a few cheap USB memory sticks. You can get one for a few bucks that offers you way more storage space than most online file storage services, plus it's much faster to transfer to and from - especially if you have USB 3.0 ports on your computer.

I've found Microsoft's OneDrive to be easy to use. It's free for the first 15 gigabytes. Although I've seen some news articles indicating they may offer unlimited storage soon. Conversely I found Google Drive to be confusing and I was paranoid as hell that they were inadvertently making everything I uploaded publicly viewable, I just don't trust them with stuff like that to be honest. I've already been embarrassed by Google Plus making conversations I thought were somewhat private on there with another friend of mine readily available in their search results for everyone to see. Another time, I was taking some snapshots with my Android phone, only to find out they were automatically being uploaded to my public Google account so anyone could see them.

15. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I see, so I guess to avoid that, you should not sign up to Google Plus and connect it to your Android phone, am I right? And about your conversations showing up in search results, maybe they're publicly viewable by default and you can just make them private?

I think I will be needing around 50 to 100 GB of storage, a lot of those files I haven't watched yet, so I think if I go with flash drives then it's gonna get pricey. I think I should look for 2nd hand flash drives or external drives to save money.